PDA

View Full Version : Advice on learning flows, CL, pitch power tables...

lynnpype
15th Jul 2009, 07:01
Hi,

Very soon I'll have to study once again new flows, checklists, a new pitch power table, etc for a new type of aircraft I'm going to fly on.

Studying this kind of stuff is not my most favorite part of flight training as I still haven't found a method to do this in an efficient way. Sure, spending hours on the ground in the actual aircraft and learning by doing works nice, but in today's age of glass cockpits and school-imposed restrictions which bar you from turning on the battery if you're not going to fly there's not much room to do that anymore.

What is your way to study these kinds of things? Have you found an efficient way to learn flows, checklists quickly by heart? Let me know.

Kind regards,
Lynn

G SXTY
15th Jul 2009, 07:22
Flows make much more sense when you're sat in the real aircraft, or failing that a cardboard bomber. Even with the master switch off, you can reach and touch the real switches and get a feel for where everything is - that's how it becomes a flow. I'd spend as much time as you can in the aircraft until you're comfortable.

And don't laugh, but I found some flows can be sung until they become second nature - the after start flow on my aircraft works well to the tune of The Itchy and Scratchy Show . . .