PDA

View Full Version : Three days in Mauritius

Tower Ranger
15th Jul 2009, 06:59
Please accept my appologies for this not being aviation related, I am doing a three day trip to Mauritius next month and would like to pick your brains for some info.
Which area of the island should I stay in at this time of year? Which Hotel do you recommend, who does crew rates? Any good bars clubs? What is the one thing that I should definitely do when I`m there?

Thanks!!

4HolerPoler
16th Jul 2009, 15:06
Don't stay on the east coast this time of year - the wind howls in on most days. West coast is best at this time of year, there's plenty of hotels. As much as Mauritius has evolved, my best advice (unless you're into rooting around 3rd world countries backyards) is to stay at whichever hotel you're booked into - enjoy the beach & tranquility.

atco749
16th Jul 2009, 17:10
hi, i did a trip last year at around this time... the country is soooo beautiful, stayed on the West coast, which looked like the 'richer side' of the country....hotels are very good, unfortunately stayed in the hotel most nights since i was on R& R....but during the walk we did on port louis, we spotted some bars, which we wish we could club in (our hotel was a distance north from the city)...
the city aint big, you could walk around in a day; visit the market for spices and cloth(if interested), the waterfront mall is a nice joint for afternoon lunch after walking around....ther city is very safe... as you watch ships docking at the nearby port.
i had the number of a good cab driver....will try get it for you......he took us round for shopping (the dodo sculptures and miniture ships are a must buy!!) he knew all the best spots...and added in a word that we were Africans..so i got good deals on price!!;)
the weather was horrible though...or i guess am just used to the sun in africa ...it was windy and it rained on two of our 4 day stay:ugh:
All the same, its worth your money!! ooh, and hope you know some French.....thats like their official language, although many folks speak English, it helps to know your francais!!
cheers

Tower Ranger
16th Jul 2009, 18:30
Thank you guys for the info!! I speak enough French to get dinner, beer and a taxi home so no worries, haha. Should be a fun 3 days!

ian16th
16th Jul 2009, 21:14
Reunion is better :ok:

Captain_djaffar
5th Aug 2009, 11:17
only the volcano to see...or you mean it because of the chikitas?:}

FL999
1st Sep 2009, 08:45
Reunion is better http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

Are you serious?!:ugh:

ian16th
23rd Sep 2009, 20:24
I prefer it. I love driving up in the mountains.

If you want to lie out on a beach and have hot and cold running waiters bringing you drinks at regular intervals, go to Mauritius. The hotels are very good. I once had 10 days at La Tousrock (SP) a lovely hotel. It was the only time my wife and I went there.

We have been to Reunion 5 times and only last week I started looking into our 6th trip.
But there's nowt as strange as folk and I'm a Yorkshireman.

If topless young ladies on the beach make you blush, don't go to Reunion.:uhoh:

FL999
24th Sep 2009, 06:35
I prefer it. I love driving up in the mountains.

If you want to lie out on a beach and have hot and cold running waiters bringing you drinks at regular intervals, go to Mauritius. The hotels are very good. I once had 10 days at La Tousrock (SP) a lovely hotel. It was the only time my wife and I went there.

We have been to Reunion 5 times and only last week I started looking into our 6th trip.
But there's nowt as strange as folk and I'm a Yorkshireman.

If topless young ladies on the beach make you blush, don't go to Reunion.http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/worry.gif

True that! If you want warm sandy beaches and awesome hotels go to Mauritius. If you like the mountains and stuff..go to Reunion!! Although there are regions in Mauritius that are pretty similar to the reunion mountains in terms of roads.! :ok:

ian16th
24th Sep 2009, 13:14
FL999

I will also add, Reunion is larger, but has fewer people.

The wonderful Maurition Hotels are 1st world compounds with contrasting 3rd world surroundings that quickly encourage one to retire back to the compound.

Although Reunion does not have the same type of resort hotel, there are good hotels.

I can confidently recommend: Hotel Boucan Canot **** : Reunion Island (http://www.boucancanot.com/US/index.html)

Grand Hotel des Mascareignes St. Gilles les Bains - Reunion (http://www.southtravels.com/africa/reunion/legrandhotel/) used to be nice, but it has lost a * and become a *** 'Best Western' :eek:

I understand that the original owners, were also property developers and over extended themselves, got into financial straights and let the hotel 'go to seed' and eventually sold or leased it out. I have seen reports that its now a bit rough.

JammedStab
24th Sep 2009, 13:52
Been to both islands and Seychelles. Each beautiful, each pleasantly different. But last I heard there was a nasty mosquito-borne virus in the two southern locations that was widespread. So not on the return-to list for now. Any update?

ian16th
24th Sep 2009, 14:13
JS,

What you are referring to is Chikungunya, a mosquito borne arthritic type disease, I do believe that I got a small dose of it the last time I was on Réunion, Nov 1995, at the height of the problem. I had stiff fingers for a couple of weeks.

The French wheeled in the Army on Réunion and had a major mosquito eradication session. Which they are claiming was successful.

I am unaware what has been done on Mauritius. They have far fewer resources to do anything. They have probably appealed to the WHO for help.

See:Chikungunya may travel to the northeast (http://www.examiner.com/x-8528-Philadelphia-Urban-Gardening-Examiner~y2009m9d23-Chikungunya-may-travel-to-the-northeast)

and

Home - CDC Chikungunya (http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/Chikungunya/)

FL999
24th Sep 2009, 17:40
Chikungunya is no longer an issue in Mauritius. There was a pandemic in the region a couple of years ago but its not there anymore. Only 1-2 cases a year. For now its swine flu we're worried about but thats everywhere anyway!

Zeflo27
25th Sep 2009, 17:35
Banana Beach Club Grand Bay:ok:

MostlyModerate
25th Sep 2009, 21:06
Agree that you should pick the West Coast at this time of year. That's why all the hotel bargains are on the East coast !

North of Port Louis have a look at the Trou aux Biches - a bit swish, but great location.
South of the city I can recommend La Pirogue - much more relaxed and incredible service.

Trouble with Mauritius is that most of the "good" hotels are bought up by South African hotel groups and upgraded so far that they lose their original local character and charm.