PDA

View Full Version : SAA crew escapes UK drug charges

flyknight
15th Jul 2009, 06:15
For the benefit of those that slated the entire SAA crew when this was splashed all over the news in South Africa:

From SABCNews

SAA crew escapes UK drugs charges

July 14 2009 , 8:00:00

British customs official today announced that 14 of the 15 South African Airways (SAA) crew members arrested at Heathrow airport in January on suspicion of smuggling drugs will not face charges. Investigations will continue into the 15th crew member, whose bail has been extended.
Georgina Myles, a spokesperson for Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs confirmed there is no further action at present against 14 of the crew members, also noting that the bail date has been extended for the one remaining crew member as investigations are ongoing.
The 15 flight and cabin crew were detained after officers seized 50 kg of cannabis, worth about £150 000 and 4kg of cocaine with an estimated street value of £160 000 in their luggage. The suspects had arrived on a flight from Johannesburg.
Myles says another 15 SAA crew were arrested in a separate incident in February when around 5kg of cocaine was found in their baggage. Those crew members are on bail and investigations are ongoing. State-owned SAA says British authorities have confirmed no action would be taken against the crew members at this stage, although there remains the possibility of charges if ongoing investigations produce evidence in the future. - Reuters

Der absolute Hammer
15th Jul 2009, 06:33
Is it to be then assumed that any action taken against one or all of the SAA crews concerned by either their employer or the law enforcement agency of SA will be dependant upon the successful prosecution of the crew members, individually or collectively, in a foreign country?

CJ750
15th Jul 2009, 20:04
HUH :}..................................

Cave Troll
16th Jul 2009, 15:57
That is awsome news. Just what I wanted to hear. I am resigning from this law abiding prick I work for now and joining SAA. At least then I can expand my drug transporting business.

Can you believe this idiot I work for now won't even let me put one single kilo of crack in my flight bag. Bloody unreasonable!

ct