PDA

View Full Version : Purser to Cockpit please...we need help...

9MBAB
15th Jul 2009, 01:03
To everyone out there....how weird do you think this is?

I got to know that a small airline down in South America, has implemented in its training programs the following:

1. Simulated Pilot incapacitation by declaring an emergency in-flight with passengers on board, involving ATC, fire services, and the whole nine yards....and not advising the cabin crew about the drill, and of course not giving any explanation to the passengers on board after landing...:ugh:

2. Starting a program to improve interpersonal relationship, cockpit-cabin crew, by having the cabin attendants starting with a walk-around and seating in the jump seat for the day, and furthermore getting them involved in A.T.C radio listening, learning how to shut down the engines, lowering the flaps and others....I donīt think that the local aviation authority knows about it...but who knows, itīs a weird country and weird things happen here...
Does this sound right to you all......?????http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/eek.gif:=
Iīd like to hear your comments.

Chris_medley
15th Jul 2009, 01:30
While this sounds wayyy over the top. When you look back in history you can see the line they were trying to get on.

Correct me if i'm wrong? But the helios flight could have been saved if one of the cabincrew who managed to get into the flightdeck knew how to fly the plane down using autopilot, or even to use the ATC coms to get instructions.

None of the airlines that i've worked for have come remotely near to doing that. However, a lot of kind pilots have shown me the ropes which i find very interesting knowing that if the worst happened i could give it a good go using atc for help!

On the issue of jumpseats etc, In the UK at least it is quite common practice to let the new Cabincrew sit in the jumpseats for take off and landing on their first flight/flights. Familiarity with the environment, plus on shorthaul flights that might be the only time we as cabincrew get to do it!

Sounds a bit OTT though with some of the other things :ugh:

Romeo India Xray
15th Jul 2009, 03:06
I personally have no problem with CC being "in the loop" when it comes to a few of the basics from the pointy end. Before I was in aviation I was a manager in a transport company. I brought in a programme of all staff spending a few days shadowing staff in other areas of the operation, office staff with drivers, loaders etc. If nothing else, you get an idea of what each other do, and are more aware of the difficulties each other face at different stages of a flight/delivery route (delete as required) - armed with this information, it is easier to work together as a cohesive team. Shutting engines down, I would rather keep that role form myself/my FO though, there are too many inter-related systems connected to them.

As for simulated non-normal/emergency operations in flight - NEVER!!!

RIX

flapsforty
15th Jul 2009, 08:34
Weird 9MBAB?
One person using 2 different usernames to post similar but different versions (http://www.pprune.org/caribbean-latin-america/381171-i-am-shoked.html) of the same silly story on two different forums.

Pretending that (s)heīs sharing real info while trolling for reactions.

Weird is just the beginning.