PDA

View Full Version : UK CAA Specifications - EASA aircraft

Bus429
14th Jul 2009, 17:03
The question of the applicability of UK CAA Specifications is one that a I, a customer and a CAMO have been discussing with respect to a recently drafted maintenance programme. What is the applicability of CAA specs on EASA aircraft? CAIP Leaflet 11, paragraph 5.15 implies that, for an EASA aircraft, the Certification Speciifications - not to be confused with CAA Specifications - apply with respect to the TC/STC (and applicable TCDS). Some CAA surveyors ask about inclusion of CAA Specifications in the maintenance programme (in fact, the revised AD 981C refers to them) but I know of several programmes for EASA aircraft that have been approved without them.
Anyone else had any experience in this regard?

Rigga
14th Jul 2009, 20:04
I have only dealt with aircraft that have had CAA Specs applied at build or at import to UK and I believe if it was imported or built to that standard - then it still applies (unfortunately).

However, I wouldn't think CAA Specs would apply to new aircraft built to EASA CS standards (e.g. EASA CS-26 or CS-29) - and I'd ask the CAA Surveyor who said it did to demonstrate to me where it says otherwise.

Hope this helps

Bus429
14th Jul 2009, 21:51
Hi Rigga,
This is an EASA aircraft with an EASA TC, not UK CAA. CAA Specs can't really apply on the level playing field.

Rigga
14th Jul 2009, 22:30
Well, I've given you the bullets - all you have to do now is ask the Surveyor!

"- and I'd ask the CAA Surveyor who said it did to demonstrate to me where it says otherwise."

But before you do...
- Is the EASA TC a transfer from an original UK CAA TC?
- What year was the aircraft Built? (was EASA in force at the time?)
- Have you got EASA Form 52? (states what the build standard was?)
- How/When was the aircraft imported to UK?

Again, Hope this helps.

Rigga

Bus429
15th Jul 2009, 06:28
Hi Rigga,

The CAA surveyor asked the question during the review and said nothing when I said they don't apply. The aircraft - ERJ 170 - has an EASA TC Validated in 2004. I know other CAMOs that have not applied the CAA specs on AMPs.
The UK CAA has published some sort of memo stating that with entry into force of EASA from 2003-08 that CAA Specs will gradually be assumed/negated by EASA regulations. Read that bit from CAIPS I referred to earlier and let me know what you think.

Rigga
15th Jul 2009, 21:00
Leaflet 11-4 para 5.15 - Last line - Clearly states "In the case of EASA aircraft, compliance must be shown with the applicable CS detailed in the TC/STC."

I can't see your problem.

You have an "EASA aircraft" (e.g. the type below - recognised by EASA) you don't need to show compliance with CAA Specs.

Embraer ERJ 170 100/200 series has the EASA TCDS Reference: EASA.IM.A.001.

Rigga

Bus429
16th Jul 2009, 06:58
I can't see your problem.
Haven't got one - I'd read the leaflet as you saw from my original post. My question was: had others had any experience in this regard?

Anyway, thanks for input.

spannersatKL
27th Jul 2009, 22:19
We used to have to show compliance with CAA specs when bringing new A330's on to the Hong Kong register....and that was years after the Brits had been kicked out!! (not sure if this still applies). Most of them are now superceded in various other specs like the FDR specs etc. and not sure if you can find them on the CAA web site now days?

Do we still need the 90 degree lift on the seat belt buckle? Also I only once ever found a proper report, and that was from Mr. Boeing to show full compliance with the spec covering Loudspeaker audability.....