PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to Malarone

757_Driver
14th Jul 2009, 16:44
Howdy

I spend alot of time (regular short trips) in west Africa (Ghana, Sierra Leone) and East Africa (Djibouti).

I appear to be getting more and more intolerant to malarone, I'm going to talk this over with my AME of course and get some professional advice, but i'd also like a bit of info before meeting my doc.

Does anyone know of any acceptable alaternatives to malarone that are ok for flight crew (i know some anti-malairals are deemed unnaceptable)? I beleive there is an antibiotic that one can take?

Bob the Doc
14th Jul 2009, 17:30
The antibiotic you mention is probably doxycycline. Can't remember whether it is considered to be a viable alternative to Malarone. Other alternatives are Chloroquine and Proguanil (not recommended for subsaharan africa from memory) and Lariam (mefloquine - definitely not recommended for pilots as 10% get some seriously wierd dreams and can get conscious psychiatric effects as well).

Hope that helps

Bob

757_Driver
14th Jul 2009, 20:19
thanks. I get seriously weird dreams on Malarone!

I'll do a bit of research into those and have a chat with my doc.

gingernut
14th Jul 2009, 20:53
It's a matter of balancing risk.

Your destinations are risky places, but there are alternatives to Malarone, (which is generally well tolerated.)

I'd suggest seeking expert advice, (a travel clinic/school of Tropical Medicine-remember to tell them you sit in a cockpit playing with knobs)-also, if you cut down the number of bites, you'll cut down the risk.

And one final reminder- if you get ill within 3 months of returning from a risk area, remember to tell the doc, they don't always ask.:)

Pace
14th Jul 2009, 22:16
757 driver

Just a little hint with the warning that i am not medically qualified to give an opinion :) but try eating avocado! the buggers wont go near you :) and thats not a joke.

Pace

Bob the Doc
15th Jul 2009, 17:35
Pace makes a good point that prevention is better than (although not a substitute for) prophylaxis. Anything that stops the buggers from biting in the first place is always a good plan. Not heard of avocado before but will be trying it next time I am heading somewhere like that. Good excuse to eat one of my favourite foods without feeling guilty!

Pace
15th Jul 2009, 21:04
Not heard of avocado before but will be trying it next time I am heading somewhere like that. Good excuse to eat one of my favourite foods without feeling guilty!

Do try it as it works and it is a well known deterrant. I ferried a business jet to south Africa landing in a number of places enroute and they didnt come near. Something in the avocado puts them off biting the skin. What??? but try it :)

Pace

gingernut
16th Jul 2009, 21:59
I think we have to exercise some degree of responsibility here chaps:}

Avocado, B vitamins, Garlic capsules, snake oil, all has it's place, but this guy is constantly entering a place where the biggest killer is a mossie.:)

(and poverty)

Pace
17th Jul 2009, 12:13
I think we have to exercise some degree of responsibility here chaps

Avocado, B vitamins, Garlic capsules, snake oil, all has it's place, but this guy is constantly entering a place where the biggest killer is a mossie

Gingernut

Was not suggesting avocado as an alternative to protective medication but as an addition to stop mossie bites which in themselves are not pleasant.

I am told that something in the avocado permiates through the skin and that the mossies are not partial to avocado with or without french dressing :)

Pace

john1million
25th Oct 2010, 14:35
I am in a similar situation in that I am looking to take a job on rotation in Angola that will put me permanently on Malarone. I am struggling to find anything on flying and taking this drug and I am currently in the process of getting my NPPL(M). Can I take from your original (if a little old) post, 757, that malarone is deemed to be ok for pilots?

:confused:

Miguel Martins
25th Oct 2010, 17:42
Always heard that Gin and Tonic is rather good protecting you from those crazy bugs.... I like to think that it works. :}

john1million
25th Oct 2010, 21:04
I did try the GnT some years ago on a six month stint in Nigeria and I didn't get malaria, what more proof would anyone need? :p

Sadly this time it looks like I may be getting tested to make sure I'm taking medication :eek:

gingernut
30th Oct 2010, 20:56
I did try the GnT some years ago on a six month stint in Nigeria and I didn't get malaria, what more proof would anyone need?:D

Funny that, just survived 6 months without a battery in me'smoke alarm.

A matter of balance chaps, malaria kills about four returning travellers to the UK each year. Balance that against poisoning thousands, but who have minor side effects.

(Unless you're a pilot taking malarone:))