PDA

View Full Version : Land after clearances

Rower
14th Jul 2009, 15:24
I have just seen references to "Land after" clearances on another thread.
Can sombody explain to me what they are.

Apologies if this has been asked before, it is probably vey basic.

BOAC
14th Jul 2009, 16:26
http://www.pprune.org/atc-issues/314943-land-after-instruction.html

mil2civ
14th Jul 2009, 17:00
You are "cleared to land", which normally implies that the runway is clear for your exclusive use, but only after the aircraft ahead has landed. It can still be on the runway and it is up to you to ensure adequate clearance. This practice is routine in places like Paris CDG where they don't even bother with the "land after" bit! 'Kin dangerous imho.

TheChitterneFlyer
14th Jul 2009, 17:11
'Land After' has been in use for many years in the USA; especially so at some of the busy airports... it speeds-up the landing traffic. If you think it's dangerous... then don't land! Simples!

mil2civ
14th Jul 2009, 17:44
Safer, to me as a non-ATC type, would be just to wait until the runway was safe to land on and then give a "proper" landing clearance. Point taken though that it appears to work without people bumping into each other too often. We used to talk about "links in the chain" than lead to an accident and my opinion is that this practice is an unnecessary link.

I do believe that it is only permitted in daylight hours in the UK, which is something at least.

mil2civ
14th Jul 2009, 17:48
...and not half as risky as my least favourite practice in the US of LAHSO (land and hold short of?...been a while - I forget) which meant you could land as long as you didn't cross an intersecting runway where you would meet another aircraft on take-off/landing. Brakes/reverser failure?!

K.Whyjelly
15th Jul 2009, 21:14
...and not half as risky as my least favourite practice in the US of LAHSO (land and hold short of?..

Land and Hold Short Operations (pronounced "La So"), not approved for use by British carriers by our |CAA. If offered it we politely decline :hmm:

Land and hold short operations are an air traffic control procedure intended to increase airport capacity without compromising safety. This means that, as pilot-in-command (or as an operator), several minutes of valuable time can be saved during every LAHSO landing and taxi-in. Think of the savings in fuel and operating expense - not to mention freeing up the runway for others to use, thereby increasing overall system capacity. This program, however, will work more effectively only if pilots have a clear understanding of what's expected of them. For starters, LAHSO include landing and holding short of an intersecting runway, an intersecting taxiway, or some other designated point on a runway other than an intersecting runway or taxiway. (See Figures 1-3.)
http://www.aopa.org/images/asf/pubs/lahso/lahsofig1.gif Figure 1-LAHSO of intersecting taxiway
FIGURES 1, 2, and 3. - (1) Land and hold short of an intersecting runway, (2) Land and hold short of an intersecting taxiway, and (3) Land and hold short of a designated point on a runway other than an intersecting runway or taxiway. (In this latter case, for example, holding short at a designated point may be required to avoid conflicts with the runway safety area/flight path of a nearby runway.) Each figure shows the approximate location of LAHSO markings, signage, and in-pavement lighting when installed. For further information on LAHSO markings, signage, and lighting, see the Airman's Information Manual, Chanter 2, "Aeronautical Lighting and Other Airport Visual Aids."
http://www.aopa.org/images/asf/pubs/lahso/lahsofig2.gif Figure 2-LAHSO of intersecting taxiway
http://www.aopa.org/images/asf/pubs/lahso/lahsofig3.gif

Tail-take-off
16th Jul 2009, 09:15
I think what mil2civ is refering to as dangerous is at CDG they don't tell you it is a land after clearance. They just say "cleared to land" which to me says that the runway is clear which it is not.

I am more than happy to accept a land after clearance but there is a significant differance between the two.

Rower
22nd Jul 2009, 14:29
Thank you gentlemen

It looks like a "take it or leave it" type of clearance ?
What would be the implications if you decided not to land under these circumstances? do you go to the back of the queue.

I appreciate your patience in answering these random enquiries:ok: