blah blah blah
13th Jul 2009, 20:24
First one has arrived by the looks.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10584220

The Green Goblin
13th Jul 2009, 22:48
Air NZ hopes wing tips slash fuel bill
4:00AM Tuesday Jul 14, 2009

An Air New Zealand Boeing 767 with the new winglets arriving at Auckland yesterday. Photo / Supplied

Air New Zealand hopes that new 3.4m-high wing tips on its fleet of Boeing 767 aircraft will reduce its fuel consumption by more than six million litres a year.

The airline's first 767-300ER aircraft fitted with blended winglets landed at Auckland Airport yesterday.

The blended winglets make the aircraft's wing more efficient by reducing drag, cutting fuel use and emissions.

An Air New Zealand spokesman said the blended winglets also enabled aircraft to climb faster and improved payload performance.

The airline is also installing dryers to reduce moisture trapped in the insulation between the aircraft's outer-skin and cabin lining. They will remove about 200kg of water from each aircraft, cutting weight and fuel consumption.

- NZPA

I always knew the Kiwis were cheap but this takes the cake!!

What they will find is all the bogans with dry noses from the reduced cabin moisture will be picking their noses and smearing their boogies on the seat backs :yuk:

Going Boeing
13th Jul 2009, 23:23
JetPhotos.Net Photo » ZK-NCG (CN: 26912) Air New Zealand Boeing 767-319(ER) by Colin Parker - The Hong Kong Spotters (http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6611666)

Arrival of New Winglets in New Zealand

(July 13, 2009) -- Air New Zealand's first Boeing 767-300ER aircraft fitted with new blended winglets is due to land at Auckland International Airport this morning.

The airline estimates that it will save more than six million litres of fuel and 16,000 tonnes of carbon emissions annually with the installation of the new performance-enhancing blended winglets on its fleet of Boeing 767 aircraft.

The blended winglets, which have been developed by Aviation Partners Boeing, are 3.4 metre high wing-tip devices. They make the aircraft's wing more efficient by reducing drag, increasing lift and significantly improving fuel use and reducing emissions.

Air New Zealand General Manager Airline Operations Captain David Morgan said the installation of the blended winglets are part of Air New Zealand's on-going drive to be the world's most environmentally sustainable airline.

"Air New Zealand has been at the forefront of finding ways to minimise our environmental impact, examining every aspect of our flight operations to reduce carbon emissions by saving fuel. "

In addition to significant fuel savings and reduction in carbon emissions, the blended winglets provide additional commercial benefits for aircraft operating services on longer sectors including enabling the aircraft to climb faster and improving payload performance.

"In parallel we've also begun installing Zonal Dryers on our 767 fleet with this aircraft the first to have the system installed," says Captain Morgan.

The electrically-powered dryers, designed by CTT Systems in Sweden, reduce moisture trapped in the insulation between the aircraft's outer-skin and the cabin lining. They will remove around 200kgs of water from each aircraft, reducing weight, fuel consumption and most importantly reducing carbon emissions.

Each passenger exhales around 100 grams of water an hour and the cold outside temperatures at altitude generate significant condensation which is retained in the aircraft insulation.

"Through this environmental initiative we estimate the zonal dryers will save an additional 320,000 litres of fuel and 800 tonnes of carbon emissions annually across the fleet of five 767 aircraft," says Captain Morgan.

Source : Air New Zealand

Fenwicksgirl
14th Jul 2009, 01:13
Saw it on the ground in HKG the other day, looks pretty cool i must say!!

Fark'n'ell
14th Jul 2009, 08:17
"Through this environmental initiative we estimate the zonal dryers will save an additional 320,000 litres of fuel and 800 tonnes of carbon emissions annually across the fleet of five 767 aircraft," says Captain Morgan.

Could Mr Morgan please explain how one can save 800 tonnes of carbon emissions when one has only saved approx 256 tonnes of fuel.:confused:

goodspeed
14th Jul 2009, 08:29
Funky airline math which they learn when becoming management. I could cynically suggest similar math is used for all sorts of mgmt methods of shafting us!!

In the mean time...... I have winglet envy.:{

plainmaker
14th Jul 2009, 09:18
To the fuel, you need to add 2 Oxygen atoms per carbon atom (CO2). The emission is measured as the total output (C + O), not just the amount that goes in the tanks.

Have a look at the periodic table - carbon if I recall ( learnt a very long time ago) is No 6 with Oxygen at 8 so the theory is that oxygen should be slightly heavier per atom.

256 tons of fuel (yes I know it is not all carbon) multiplied by 3 gets close to 800 tonnes quoted , less a factor I suppose for the H20 emitted as part of the reaction.

Plainmaker

billyt
14th Jul 2009, 20:39
N-BW with total rubbish you contributed on another thread, which was removed no doubt by a moderator, I had hoped your membership had been cancelled. You really should get help. Your life will be a misery if you continue the way you are.

minimum_wage
14th Jul 2009, 21:03
Is it just me or is Green Goblin an idiot as well. Judging by this coment and his post on the light twin crash, I think he has a lot to learn about flying yet.:rolleyes:

maggotdriver
14th Jul 2009, 22:41
Correct me if I'm wrong (I know there's plenty who'll correct me even if I'm right) the winglets are 50 times more effective than the dryers; therefore, they are equivalent to 10 TONNES in weight saving!!! That's huge! Let's assume (sorry) an average weight of 160 t would make an average equivalent weight saving of 6.25%. Congratulations on having a management using their brains, I applaude them. Even after amortisation, depreciation etc. this must add value to the second-hand aircraft as well.:D

NZ X man
14th Jul 2009, 23:38
The winglets always seem to add a really nice "look" to the older aircraft, and it all has to be good. Talked to a VIP 727 driver in the ME who had the winglets installed, and his comment was that the aircraft gained 2000 feet in optimum altitude and a .01 mach increase with the same fuel flows.

aerostatic
15th Jul 2009, 01:32
Look the dogs b**locks if you ask me, and a very smart way to get more economy out of an old airframe. It's a win-win... they look good and they improve efficiency. No doubt they also improve takeoff performance allowing for lower takeoff thrust settings. Air NZ management are by and large demonstrating a good level of innovation during these tough times. I don't think they will be going to the wall any time soon. PS I don't work for them.

Groaner
15th Jul 2009, 03:29
The dryer's economic effect is more from reducing corrosion than on fuel savings due to weight reduction.

You could achieve that sort of weight reduction by leaving off a couple of pax - would you notice the difference in fuel flow then?

Tankengine
15th Jul 2009, 07:38
How many years of fuel saving to pay for the winglets?:confused:
I heard 12-13, if that is so they will be pretty old by that time!:(

billyt
15th Jul 2009, 08:01
I read somewhere that the cost was about 4 mill per aircraft. If the fuel savings per year (from above article) are 6,000,000 litres then that is 1,200,000 per aircraft per year.

What cost /litre. If $1 then about 3.33 years. If 50c then 6.66 years.

Going Boeing
15th Jul 2009, 08:12
A few years ago, Qantas did the sums on fitting them and came to the conclusion that the aircraft would have to operate for 10 years before the savings offset the installation cost. Also, the savings achieved from winglets is greater when the average sector length is longer - Qantas has been using the majority of their B767's on short domestic sectors for some years now whereas the Air NZ B767 fleet flys longer international sectors thus making the installation of winglets more viable.

The company that manufactures the blended winglets may have reduced the price since QF did the sums in order to stimulate demand.

The second batch of QF B738's (VH-VY_ series) were originally going to be delivered without winglets because of their huge cost, but when the price was discounted, Qantas changed the order to include them.

distracted cockroach
15th Jul 2009, 09:06
Rumour is that there is some sort of "quid pro quo" deal with Boeing on the winglets because of the delay on Air NZs 787s.
The "recommended retail price" poibably doesn't apply:ok:

The Chef
15th Jul 2009, 11:34
Saw the said 767 in MEL tonight, looked pretty good (although it was in the dark). Looked like a big B737NG.

The Chef

fourholes
15th Jul 2009, 20:37
The above post just illustrates the mentality of some s#it for brains bun chuckers. I wish only pilots could post on this forum...............

NZ X man
15th Jul 2009, 21:47
N-BW (http://www.pprune.org/members/299769-n-bw)

Hay man, you going to be alright?

always inverted
15th Jul 2009, 22:45
I saw it parked out at the end of 05l a couple of days ago. It looks real good. For all those that sit there and bitch about old airframes and trying to stay in business, air nz is at least doing something proactive and if the company that you are working for is not then you may find that you will/ may loose your jobs quicker than any crew at air nz.
If you have nothing to say the F#$k off.

Pamelah Andersen
16th Jul 2009, 00:20
"....a fleet of Teal Green Honda's with fancy winglets - so impressive - not."

lol. Mindless.

Honda makes a blo0dy good car these days - and jet come to think of it.

:ok:

ZK-NSN
16th Jul 2009, 04:43
ANZ needs more than winglets on clapped out bangers to save its bacon...
They could follow the Aussie example of adding a flight engineer.

Split Flap
16th Jul 2009, 05:19
It happens to be the one thing in my life that I will never forget or forgive and why the hell should I forget it....

If all I got to do on an aircraft was hand out beef or chicken I'd probably be a little disgruntled too..

Tell your mum to stop calling me as well, she's starting to p1ss me off.

RadioSaigon
16th Jul 2009, 09:40
...it's low class and disgraceful conduct in 01...

...as contrasted with the AUS governments exemplary behavior in reneging on their CER committments to NZ as a nation and AirNZ; Ansett Leasing's fiscal responsibility in repossessing (not quite the right word?) the airworthy airframes and replacing them with clapped out end-of-life machines; and CASA's swift and decisive action in tipping the whole already teetering apple-cart up within days of AirNZ taking over... :ugh:

Anyone getting the unremitting stench of collusion????

I reckon the blame you want to lay about belongs a little closer to home N-BW. The sooner you wake up to the facts, the sooner you'll be able to fill that great aching void in your life with something a little more meaningful.

Like a life.

Get over it.

RadioSaigon
16th Jul 2009, 10:58
... my opinion stands...

Just a shame your facts don't.

BrissySparkyCoit
16th Jul 2009, 13:00
N-BW, :ok:

Never worked for Ansett, (I've been with the red team for my whole career) however I share your sentiment towards those to the east.

goodspeed
17th Jul 2009, 03:45
Typical racist remarks of the inbred uneducated redneck middle class. Stick to the galley for your trash talk. We've had enough of your ill informed, smart ass hyperbole and the general nastiness of you and your posts.:=

By the way, NBW, that is the rego of one of Air NZ's 74s.:E:E

BrissySparkyCoit
17th Jul 2009, 07:58
Typical racist remarks of the inbred uneducated redneck middle class.....
To whom do you refer, goodspeed?

Delta Whiskey
17th Jul 2009, 10:48
Look at the post above this - 1750 jobs to go at QF - thats REAL management - none of this wasting money tarting up old bangers:rolleyes:

DeathStar-Alpha
17th Jul 2009, 11:14
Still, looks bloody good with them winglets on.

empacher48
17th Jul 2009, 21:50
Look at the post above this - 1750 jobs to go at QF - thats REAL management - none of this wasting money tarting up old bangers :rolleyes:

Don't forget that other one on QF Second Officer redundancies too!

Don't worry some of the people on here will blame in the incompetence of QF management on Air New Zealand as well. I guess its easier to point the finger at someone doing a better job.

ZK-NSN
18th Jul 2009, 01:02
N-BW

offer community support to less fortunate people

Knowing there are muppets like you out there who are allowed to breed makes us all less fortunate people.

enalkay
18th Jul 2009, 01:25
the sooner air new zealand is squeezed out of business the better.They are a nasty little carrier with even nastier tactics.Lets all hope that the tax payer in nz does not have to bail them out again!!That company should have been dead in the water years ago.I really wonder who the f### they think they are.

billyt
18th Jul 2009, 02:54
If AirNZ get up your nose then that is great enalkay. Any thing that pi**es people off like you makes my day. Dirty tactics, where?

N-LK sounds a bit like N-BW. Are you not the same person? Your sad approach to things are the same. You just rave on with no basis to your rants other than taking an anti Kiwi attitude.

Certain lack of any sort of professionalism by you. You also let your fellow countrymen down.

distracted cockroach
18th Jul 2009, 03:22
I think the fact that the whole Air NZ top management team from the Ansett debarcle have long gone (Brierleys, who the hell are they?) means all you upset Aussies are now venting at the past Air NZ, not the current Air NZ.
Hey, it happened, and now those responsible have moved on. The fact that you still hate the Air NZ brand is unfortunate, but they can probably survive ok without your support.
My diagnosis of your problem is that you can't get over it because you actually have no one left to blame....
We all know Ansett was a basket case. With or without Air NZ putting their oar in, the result would probably have been the same, just drawn out for longer. Air NZ probably did you a favour...you said yourself, life is good and you have done things you wanted to do. Be grateful and get over it!!

fourholes
18th Jul 2009, 03:33
HAHA ANALKEY! but seriously.......... get help. and don't hold your breath that Air NZ will go to the wall anytime soon........actually I changed my mind, could you please hold your breath for a looooong time, you know Darwin theory and all that stuff................................sad little git:ok:

derab
3rd Aug 2009, 10:01
Its good to see that some people can see through the flying rats treachery with the engineering of "that fax" which ended up consigning Ansett to the deep.
I am currently working for one of the senior mis-managers that presided over the final days of Ansett .. and he is doing a fair job of his present company too..
as a side, I remember almost having a stand up fight with a LAME back in 1997, I was standing at the Ansett hanger in MEL, they had just cleared the area for a 767-200 to be pulled in for work.. my words were to the effect "god .. that's one sheet aircraft".. the guy nearly decked me there and then.. at least I know who was proved right..
the equipment NZ inherited was absolutely falling apart on the day of takeover.. all that talk of "removed" parts were probably NZ stock back in 1998-1999 anyway.(I cant prove anything)
as for the OP.. the winglets probably won't pay for themselves, but the lines are good and the eco spin is right..
choice cuzzie TEAL..!!

The Green Goblin
3rd Aug 2009, 11:49
I remember almost having a stand up fight with a LAME back in 1997, I was standing at the Ansett hanger in MEL, they had just cleared the area for a 767-200 to be pulled in for work.. my words were to the effect "god .. that's one sheet aircraft".. the guy nearly decked me there and then.. at least I know who was proved right..
the equipment NZ inherited was absolutely falling apart on the day of takeover.. all that talk of "removed" parts were probably NZ stock back in 1998-1999 anyway.(I cant prove anything)

Maybe so, but Airscab already owned half of it anyway. Surely if it was as bad as what you New Zulanders claim then you should have had strict words to Airscab management at why they made such a poor decision to buy it when they plainly could not afford too.

If only Singapore got hold of it, you'd see Ansett 777's flying the pacific in droves.

distracted cockroach
4th Aug 2009, 10:16
Yep, probably, and all the dead wood would have been chopped and you guys would have been made redundant and now you'd all be bitching about how the new Singaporean masters couldn't run a piss-up in a brewery.
It was a cot case and bound for the sh#%%er regardless of who was running it. The disgrace was that certain Air NZ/Brierley types couldn't see beyond their own egos and recognise that. I still reckon they did you all a favour.....

Dashim
4th Aug 2009, 11:00
Yaaawwwwnnnn!

Oh please .... you're sending me to sleep!

Didn't this all happen a looonnngg time ago?

About tiome you boys learnt to MOVE ON!!

Dash

HotDog
4th Aug 2009, 12:50
enalkay

Going Boeing
15th Oct 2009, 06:50
(October 13, 2009) -- Air New Zealand's new blended winglets, which are being fitted to its fleet of Boeing 767-300ER aircraft, are delivering 19 per cent higher fuel savings than forecast.

The airline's original expectations were that more than six million litres of fuel would be saved annually with the installation of new performance-enhancing blended winglets on its fleet of five Boeing 767 aircraft.

However, with four aircraft now fitted with the winglets, fuel savings are 19% higher than predicted, with the fleet now expected to reduce fuel usage by more than seven million litres and 18,400 tonnes of carbon emissions annually.

The blended winglets, which have been developed by Aviation Partners Boeing, are 3.4 metre high wing-tip devices. They make the aircraft's wing more efficient by reducing drag, increasing lift and significantly improving fuel use and reducing emissions.

"The installation of the blended winglets is part of Air New Zealand's on-going drive to be the world's most environmentally sustainable airline," says General Manager Airline Operations Captain David Morgan.

Air New Zealand has been at the forefront of finding ways to minimise its environmental impact, examining every aspect of its flight operations to reduce carbon emissions by saving fuel.

"Our approach is constantly evolving as we continue to evaluate our operations and identify new opportunities and new technologies," says Mr Morgan.

In addition to significant fuel savings and reduction in carbon emissions, the blended winglets provide additional commercial benefits for aircraft operating services on longer sectors, including enabling the aircraft to climb faster and improving payload performance.

The final aircraft is now being refitted and will be back in service in early November.

Source : Air New Zealand

lilflyboy262
15th Oct 2009, 12:19
Dunno if we are meant to be post thing of the internal forums GB... Unless its been realeased now?

But can anyone shed light on the cost of the winglets being installed, and whats the price of jet fuel now?
7 million litres is a a few million each year. Im sure that would cover most of the cost...

As for the person who said they hope we will go out of business. Well. $1,6 billion in the bank, and still turning a profit, which was comparable to Qantas this year.... well, it isnt going to happen anytime soon buddy :)
(And dont even get me started on how the domestic market in aussie favours Qantas, dirty tactics please?)

denabol
15th Oct 2009, 20:33
Noticed that Richard Whitcomb who ran the NASA program that devised the modern wingtip, and other stuff, is dead at 88.

When you think about it, what an amazing contribution he made.

Richard Whitcomb, who let us fly faster, has died – Plane Talking (http://blogs.crikey.com.au/planetalking/2009/10/15/richard-whitcomb-who-let-us-fly-faster-has-died/)