PDA

View Full Version : Flight time credited as co-pilot

Aytonace
11th Jul 2009, 19:24
Hi

I'm having a nightmare with a question for Air Law exam. One of the practice papers asks:

"What percentage of co-pilot flying hours may be accredited as full flying hours for the purpose of issue of a higher licence such as a JAA ATPL?"

I seem to have 2 possible answers depending on the ICAO version and the JAR-FCL 1 version. They are as follows:

ICAO Annex 1 -
2.1.9.2 “.. to be credited with not more than 50 percent of the co-pilot flight time towards the total flight time required for a higher grade of pilot licence.”

or

JAR-FCL 1.050(a)(3)(i)
“ …to be credited with all of the co-pilot flight time towards the total flight time required for a higher grade of pilot licence.”

So I'm not sure what the answer would be? Am I right in thinking that as my flight training is in the UK the JAR-FCL 1 would be correct?

Sorry if I sound a little stupid but I just know I'll be asked the question in the exam!

Thanks for any help!

potkettleblack
11th Jul 2009, 20:10
You need to ask your ground school provider under which legal basis the exam papers are set. I seem to remember that certain papers follow JAA. some were UK law and others ICAO.

As an aside under JAA your point 2 is correct. When you go for your ATPL all of your copilot hours (p2) will count towards the 1500hrs you need for the licence. You will of course have p1/s hours from when you are pilot flying plus lots of p1 hours from your hour building. Then there are the night hour requirements etc that go into the mix.