PDA

View Full Version : Aspiring Young Pilot

dragoonf144
10th Jul 2009, 07:55
Hi guys,

I am currently a HSC student (17 years old) that is aspiring to be a airline pilot. I'd currently still deciding on how i am going to get there.

I have two appealing options right now (after my HSC of course)

1. Try and apply for the new 2010 Qantas Cadet course
2. Do it at an aviation school (most likely Curtis Aviation at Camden from the feedback i've read from here)

To be honest, i see my chances of getting into the cadet course to be very slim due to it's competitive nature. So i see the second option as more realistic.

If i do end up with option 2 (which i probably will), i will probably also do pharmacy (my second interest) to have something to fall back on if this path doesn't go to plan.

I just have a few questions to ask you guys if that's alright :D

1. Would trying to get my CPL in a year part time (maybe 2-3 hours a week) be too unrealistic? (my goal is to get it in a year)
2. How much should i be estimating to get a CPL? (from what i've gathered, possibly 50k? just wanted this to be clear)
3. How are job opportunities in Australia(including low salary based jobs starting at 30k)? Are they everywhere or are they just as rare as airline gigs? I don't mind flying for that much since i'm still young and it would be fun :D

Thanks guys

multime
10th Jul 2009, 08:10
Dear Aspiring
Might have to halve the 30k figure for a 150 newbee. Not to be negative but at a fresh CPL your basically an insurance liability until proven otherwise.
However having said that we ALL started somewhere.
Never give up. Never give up.
Australia has a reputation of underpaying pilots, and using their enthusiasm and determination for their betterment, without appropriate compensation.
Before committing google GA wage structures within Aus. AFAP is a good starting point.
Do your research.
It,s along road, have your heart and soul in it before you committ.
Goodluck
Multi:ok:

FL170
10th Jul 2009, 09:26
Aspiring,

You sound like you've done your research :ok: I'm not much older than yourself and I have followed a very similar road to that you describe. All my advice is, don't let people put you down, try not to absorb the negativity that can come from these forums however learn from the experience that is present and always aim for perfection as it is this that will put you a league ahead of the rest.

Also try have as much control of your career as possible. You can't control the wind however you can control the sail. Make the most of what you've got. At the time I started I looked into the QF Cadetship and what steered me away from it (apart from not having the $$) was the fact that if **** hits the fan, which it has, you are not guaranteed anything at the end of the day, and for the amount of money your forking out thats a hell of a gamble. Best thing is like what you said, do it at a small school with a good reputation (I made the mistake of not doing so), Curtis being the perfect example. You can get some brochures off them, last time i checked it was $43000 for your CPL there and their pretty easy going with full or part time.

Once you find yourself qualified it is then the time to think of job prospects. No point planning in advance because in my short experience my ideas have changed at least a dozen times. Put all your concentration and energy into your studies then at the end of the day weigh up your chances, based on current econmic climate, job demand etc. You might get lucky you might not.

Lastly never lose sight of why you got into it. Some days are ****, but like anything if you put in the hard slog it will all pay off. Don't worry about money, don't worry about the economy just do what you have to and enjoy yourself while your at it! From the guys in the airlines I talk to they all tell me the same thing. It's the journey to the airlines that makes you who you are and gives you the memories and stories to tell for years to come. Happiness is a journey not a destination..;)

All the best mate
FL170

Seregi
10th Jul 2009, 11:20
G'day mate,

Good to see another young student looking to aspire to join the aviation scene.

I have recently completed my CPL with curtis and I can assure you it is a great school. The 50k figure is quite reasonable having completed mine for a similar amout (Even including accomodation & travel).

Pay at the start can be slow however it is much the same starting out in any other profession.

If you have any questions about the training scene in Sydney or specific questions about curtis please send me a Pm and I would be more than happy to answer them for you.

Mcambo
10th Jul 2009, 11:35
Have you thought about doing a university course in aviation? Something like Swinburnes Aviaiton degree.

One of the benefits is that you are able to get fee help for the flying component and HECS for the theory component.

Another benefit is that you focus wholly on flying and related subjects or could do a double degree to include pharmacy (you may need to check that with the university though). Given that the degree takes 3 years to complete, by the time you are finishing the aviation industry should have started picking up and jobs might be plentiful again (hopefully).

Even by having a Qantas cadetship does not guarantee you a job. Look at the group of QF Cadets that are about to finish their course. No jobs to go to yet.

Mr. Hat
10th Jul 2009, 13:05
It's about the best, most level headed 1st post I've seen for a newbie. And he's 17.

startingout
10th Jul 2009, 16:15
Just quick post to say keep in mind that you views of the industry will change significantly after you spend more time around it. Take your view of where you think you will be in 5 years and halve it because even though you know a friend of a friend who had gotten into the big airlines asap it might not be the same for you. Prepare to go north or to go overseas to find jobs as the capital cities are already full of those with hours up. I've come from the position you are in so I understand what it is like to be oustide the industry. But as I said once inside everything changes.

SO:ok:

Erin Brockovich
10th Jul 2009, 16:18
…and a pleasantly surprising, astute reply from one of our Gen Y brothers – FL170.

Dragoon, It’s all good advice. My experience has taught me not to worry about a ‘fall back’ plan, unless you’re not sure about which way to go – and that’s not that uncommon at your age. However, once your mind is made up, just jump in and immerse yourself in what ever you’re doing and forget about the what-ifs. I wasted a lot of time in my late teens and early 20s scattering my energy and getting nowhere.

Good luck, and as said before – never give up. The only reliable tried and tested formula to a jet job.

ayush konisetty
10th Jul 2009, 16:41
"It's the journey to the airlines that makes you who you are and gives you the memories and stories to tell for years to come. Happiness is a journey not a destination"

reminds me of the movie "Into the Wild" and the above qoute by FL170 motivate me to become a better pilot and iam glad i have read this post..:)

All the best for your flying career dragoon:ok:

AnyGivenSunday99
11th Jul 2009, 00:34
To answer your questions -

1. Would trying to get my CPL in a year part time (maybe 2-3 hours a week) be too unrealistic? (my goal is to get it in a year)

Perhaps. Dont forget everything is competecy based. The fastest i have seen a CPL done is 9 months full time. It is up to you and how much you are prepared to put into it.

2. How much should i be estimating to get a CPL? (from what i've gathered, possibly 50k? just wanted this to be clear)

Sounds about right. Make sure you get at least 5 hrs command at night built into you package, if not a complete night rating as you need these hours for your MECIR. I got caught out by that one!

3. How are job opportunities in Australia(including low salary based jobs starting at 30k)? Are they everywhere or are they just as rare as airline gigs? I don't mind flying for that much since i'm still young and it would be fun \

Again it is what you make it. I have been posted to some of the most remote places in the top end, but christ i had a lot of fun. As it has been already said, the money is poo, but it gets better as you move through the ranks. My advice to you is this - from the day you walk through the door at your flying school, meet as many people as you can. Not only pilots, but engineers, guys in the tower, old retired drivers, refuellers. Get to know them as well as you can. not only will you learn so much from them, you never know when someone might know someone that knows of someone looking for a driver.

If you are hell bent on doing a degree, then make it relevant. The Avaition degree sounds like a better option to me than Pharmacy (but there again i cant add them numbers uup good either :})

Get into flying for the love of it, not the money. If it is the money you are chasing, GA will destroy you. Do it cause you love it.... it's the best job in the world!!

Thanks for the most intelligent post i have seen in ages. Best of luck to you chief. with your attitude you should go a long way!

Happy Landings,

AGS99:ok:

dragoonf144
12th Jul 2009, 01:00
Wow! thanks for all your responses guys. It has definitely given more strength to follow my dreams
@multime: Thanks for the AFAP, will come handy soon.

@FL170: Awesome, I'll be sure to grab a few brochures from Curtis Aviation

@Seregi: Thanks for the offer, I'll be sure to PM you about Curtis

@Mcambo: Yeah, i've once thought about doing Aviation at UNSW. But the hefty fees (around 110k for theory and training fees, 100k of which covered by hecs+fee-help) turned me off.

@startingout: Yep, i'm totally willing to go if i have to. Thank god for the technology nowadays, i'll still be able to see how friends/family are going.

@Erin Brockovich: Very true, hopefully everything does turn out like i want it to go

@ayush konisetty: I see that you're my age as well. Good luck you too man

@AnyGivenSunday99: Thanks for the tips man, i'll be sure to follow them when I start out flying. And yeah, my choice for pharmacy is pretty weird :P

I have one more question to ask you guys.
Are there any other places (apart from AFAP) where aviation jobs are usually posted? I've tried searching them on seek (and other job search sites) but hardly see any relevant jobs. What keywords should I be typing?

And once again, thank you all for your replies. I very much appreciate all your kind comments. I already feel like I'm apart of this community.

Thanks guys

redsnail
12th Jul 2009, 11:10
They used to be posted in Friday's Australian. Not being in Australia any more I can't verify it. I am sure someone will help.

If you can find it, also look in the back of Flight International. Jobs posted there, but they are usually for experienced folks. They do have a database searchable online too.

AussieNick
13th Jul 2009, 01:50
the jobs that are advertise on AFAP are taken from the Friday Australian and posted on a monday/tuesday along with any jobs that companies directly advertise with AFAP. Seek.com and Careerone.com.au rarely have jobs advertised for pilots, and when they do it is usually international airline type work. when it comes to getting that first job (which i'm still hunting for myself) your best bet is to front up to a company and talk face to fce with the CP/SBP