PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know of a Westland Wasp leg lying about?

NutLoose
9th Jul 2009, 22:43
It is for a very very very good cause......

Wasp XT788 needs some help - Key Publishing Ltd Aviation Forums (http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?p=1432969&posted=1#post1432969)

FROM THE LINK
Wasp XT788 needs some help
On behalf of the Xray Tango Helicopter Club and Flightaid, Wasp XT788 is in urgent need of an undercarriage leg please.

One leg has now failed entirely due to a previous poor repair and thus no more fund raising can take place until a replacement is found, plus ideally a second example as a spare.

To refresh your memories about this airframe and worthy cause, please see the links below.

Can you help or know someone who can please ?

wg13_dummy
9th Jul 2009, 23:50
Tried the Heli Museum in Weston super Mare? We get Lynx spares from there so I'm sure they could help out.

Solid Rust Twotter
10th Jul 2009, 06:41
SA Navy used them and a private collector had one in Durban. May be a lead there if you can get hold of former crew members.

david parry
10th Jul 2009, 08:06
4 Spare on our old one :rolleyes: http://usera.ImageCave.com/scouse/large191.jpg

airborne_artist
10th Jul 2009, 08:23
Is the failed leg repairable to a cosmetic/museum static standard? If so, offer a swap with one that's in usable condition on museum display airframe.

billynospares
10th Jul 2009, 09:17
There is a wasp sat at the Boscombe down aviation collection maybe you could try them ?

Double Zero
10th Jul 2009, 10:59
I 'work' at Tangmere museum; though we don't have a Wasp, just Whirlwind & Wessex for rotary examples, our chief engineer Keith has a remarkably good ear to the ground on just about everything going, so I'll ask him pronto - museums are surely your best bet...

Incidentally I heard from someone else at the museum that the BBMF Lancaster, Vulcan and perhaps most cruelly Sally B are all currently U/S through engine snags; I hope particularly Sally B can get over this hurdle, the team have had a tough time lately - I'm sure they would welcome any support - hint !

NutLoose
10th Jul 2009, 21:42
RE Welding the leg. A response

[Many thanks for the leads.

To answer the Prune forumite, the leg cannot be repaired any further. Someone has previously used normal welding equipment which has pretty much burnt away most of the original surrounding metal, and now the weld repair itself has finally given up.

Is there a cheaper alternative to asking Everett & Son ?

noooby
11th Jul 2009, 17:26
Have you tried Don Subritzky in Auckland, New Zealand?
He has 2 or 3 Wasps, and probably a good amount of spares too.
PM me if you need a phone number. I worked on his old Meteor NF11 for a while. He has quite the collection of aircraft!

northseaguy
11th Jul 2009, 18:49
You may also want to try Vector Fleetlands (formally RNAY & DARA) as there were some there used for apprentice training.

Good Luck

NSG:ok:

Kim-Sharman
14th Jul 2009, 17:33
There's one sitting in a field just north of Marlborough on the Swindon road. What state it's in, I don't know.