PDA

View Full Version : Heart conduction Block worries

Fastair345
8th Jul 2009, 22:18
Have just passed a Class 2 renewal for a PPL A and the ECG showed a conduction block of just over 0.2 ms (think it was .203 or 0.230 ). Whilst I was signed off as fit to fly for another 2 years I am now worried about it. From googling the condition it seems I have type 1 and have passed because there are no other abnormalities shown on the trace.

Some articles have indicated the condition is common in highly trained athletes or may be caused by sustained periods of high pulse rate. Within the past 6 months have started training daily with 1 hr fairly heavy mountain bike rides some going up to 3 hrs after which I feel quite tired.
I do not use a heart rate monitor but now am wondering if I have either damaged my heart through riding too hard for too long without checking the rate or if I am developing some worsenning condition?

The doc said I do not need to stop riding and did not refer me to a gp but he did check with the CAA guidelines for the condition.

Can anyone shine some light on the subject.:sad:

maybe I should not worry?

gingernut
9th Jul 2009, 21:48
Sounds like nothing to worry about, you're just outside normal parameters-more of a problem with the machine than you.

Enjoy your flying:)

Fastair345
12th Jul 2009, 23:54
Cheers for the comments.....Does make me feel a bit more relaxed about the situation but still have a few questions then i'll leave it alone.....

Would this be a problem in terms of a class 1 as apposed to a class 2 medical? (My medical details were transmitted to the CAA database).

I have previously been ECG'd many times with RAF flying medicals including RAF CME but no comments were made in this respect?

(Nothing to do with Flying) but is it sensible to use a heart rate monitor when going through hard excercise over a few hours or so?

thanx

Fastair