PDA

View Full Version : CSU Exit stage left.

SoundBarrier
8th Jul 2009, 08:29
Hi People!

Please refer to :-
Passengers' mid-air terror - National - NZ Herald News (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10583122)

This is the incident where a Trilander's port engine lost it propeller. The propeller attacked the fueselage removing the door and ripping apart a vacant seat.

So, this is the techlog, and I wanted to understand the mechanics of what happened. I'm not looking for a "maintenance issue" or blame but I want to know what would or *could* have let go and how it comes apart. This is genuine interest nothing more.

Starting basically, a small radio controlled aircraft had a prop on held on by a bold and nut. a little more complex where a CSU is involved. Can someone help me out on this one?

Thanks!

stevef
8th Jul 2009, 11:05
Difficult to make much out from the photo but I'd suggest that the problem might lie with a fractured prop attach flange on the crankshaft rather than the propeller itself. As a matter of general interest, there are six attachment studs holding the prop hub onto the flange (either secured with 3/4" AF self-locking or wirelocked nuts, I forget which). There's no way they would come undone.
A close-up photo would give more clues.

SNS3Guppy
9th Jul 2009, 13:29
The news article provides little meaningful information, and what it does provide is conflicted. A propeller coming off the engine is not at all the same as a prop shedding it's blades. In that case, parts of the propeller have come off the the propeller assembly...but the article doesn't really state what happened, and the photograph isn't much use either.

Many things could cause a propeller failure, and with so little information provided, anything further to address the matter would be pure speculation (an unprofessional and pointless endeavor).

clivewatson
9th Jul 2009, 19:43
It's my guess that the whole assembly came off. Surely shedding one blade would have caused such an inbalance that the engine and cowlings would have been ripped off, or at least displaced somewhat from their mounts.