PDA

View Full Version : iMAC: importation and EK portal

Dropp the Pilot
8th Jul 2009, 00:03
A thread which collates individual experiences might be beneficial to all.

I was told there are siginificant savings to be had by buying in the US on a layover. Any particular station or store?

Any setup hassles and tips to avoid them?

Would you do it again or would you stick to PC?

h3dxb
8th Jul 2009, 00:07
would advise IAH. No sales tax in Texas. Compare prices before on pricegrapper.com or froogle. Than check in Apple store or Best Buy. Normally the prices are the same.

Friends of mine swear on MAC........

jumbo1
8th Jul 2009, 01:31
There was tax when I bought in Houston but opposite the apple store is a tax back place - you get 5% tax back but it takes a few months. You need to take your crew ID, original roster and passport if I remember correctly. And gendec copy I think
Good luck.
Customs may charge you a bit when you get back. If you get a laptop then just discard the box and it should be fine. US prices normally around AED 1000 cheaper, depending on model

halas
8th Jul 2009, 03:01
Bought mine at Protech SZR (tax free:confused:) 3 years ago. Paid a lot more than in the states or elsewhere, but less than the shopping mall outlets.
They also threw in Microsoft Office in the sale.

However when l opened it there was a problem with the disk drive and bluetooth..... So l took it back and got a new one straight away.

Later a spot developed on the screen, so had it fixed the day it happened.
Whilst in the shop, l had Windows XP added. Not sure why as l never use it.

Heard of one fellow who bought one in HKG, only to get it back here and the screen wouldn't work. Had to take it all the way back there for warranty exchange. No one in Dubai would touch it.

The portal is fine. Though l haven't tried it with Safari 4.0, l do use Firefox to open it. But if your keen use Bootcamp or one of the other dual booting software to run Windows (Make sure you get protection first!)
Make sure you download the usual stuff-Citrix, Flashplayer & Adobe reader though that one is optional, as preview will open that stuff up.

Eiratesstaff.com is purely IE only.

Good luck.

halas

johnnyramjet
8th Jul 2009, 04:26
Texas (http://www.window.state.tx.us/taxinfo/sales/index.html)sales tax

6.25%. Food may be exempt. Prescription drugs may be exempt. Non-prescription drugs may be exempt. This state has a tax holiday. Local rate can be up to 2% for a total maximum combined rate of 8.25%.
California (http://www.boe.ca.gov/sutax/sutprograms.htm)sales tax

8.25%. Food may be exempt. Prescription drugs may be exempt. Local rates may also apply. Tax rates for local districts range from 0.10% to 1.00%. Leases and rentals generally taxed.
New York (http://www.tax.state.ny.us/sbc/) »sales tax

4.00%. Food may be exempt. Prescription drugs may be exempt. Non-prescription drugs may be exempt. Local rates may also apply. Clothing purchases of $110 or less are exempt from state sales tax.

troff
8th Jul 2009, 04:45
I purchased a 24' iMac in Oz while on a layover. Computer, Apple TV, Time Capsule Airport Express, and extended warrenties.
Even though I paid Oz tax (that I was unable to recoup since I was crew), and a pittance of duty arriving in the UAE, I saved $600 over Singapore and another $600 over local prices, which are through the roof.
With the Aussie dollar tanking, it's the place to buy computers and electronics.
T

8th Jul 2009, 09:35
Buy the Apple through their website and have it delivered (free delivery and no taxes) to the layover hotel.
If you're looking at an Imac then it's a little less than half the price you'd pay in Dubai.
Portal works just fine (except for bidding leave) using Safari and no parallels, just check the "Block Pop Ups" off.

Trader
8th Jul 2009, 10:40
Look at the websites of Apple USA, Canada (if on the 380) and Australia. Depending on the current exchange rate anyone could be cheapest even with taxes.

maddog62
8th Jul 2009, 11:33
Portal works just fine (except for bidding leave)

Check your settings 767200. Leave bidding works perfectly fine on my Mac. I use Leopard and Safari 4.0.1. The end of leave calendar icon doesn't work but you can type the date yourself.

I don't want to contaminate my computer with windows so I don't use parallels nor bootcamp.

I use IE 6 for Mac for the Emirates staff website and an old hp laptop for topping up my salik account.

8th Jul 2009, 21:31
Hi Maddog, yes I do type the end calendar myself but always comes up with an error message....After reading your post I realized I had to update Safari, so I will try it again...Thanks for the info

Dick and Jane
9th Jul 2009, 06:51
Once you go Mac, you'll never go back.

TRIPS.NET also does not work on Safari or Firefox, have to use a PC for this. I have written to IT to request a fix but no response so far.

I am sure that you will totally enjoy the Mac OSX experience :ok:

Thridle Op Des
9th Jul 2009, 11:38
Trips.net does work through the citrix access on the FOIP, second from the bottom left hand menu, just make sure you have Citrix for Mac loaded.

The only thing I cannot get to work in Firefox is the payslip feature of HR Direct, I just get a constant 'thinking clock' - any suggestions?

TOD

Kapitanleutnant
9th Jul 2009, 17:27
TOD....

I think all you might need to do is turn off your "Pop-Up Blocker" thru the Safari menu. Just make sure it's unchecked. Had the same issue and doing that allowed me to read my pay statements.

K

Dropp the Pilot
10th Jul 2009, 03:54
Don't know when you bought but your prices don't seem to align.

The current arrangement around our route structure (for a standard-ish 2.66 24") when converted to USD is:

OZ 1950 USD
Singapore 1680 USD
Canada 1550 USD
USA 1500 USD

The Singapore price includes sales tax, the others don't.

Spoogie
10th Jul 2009, 09:44
Hey do any of you guys have any idea what the charges are here in DXB for say a 24" iMAC? I am thinking of buying from the Apple store, have it sent to my home in the US, then have my family send it to me by FEDEX/DHL/ or even Aramex!

Trader
10th Jul 2009, 13:59
DXB Customs charges 5% of the receipted cost.