PDA

View Full Version : Renew Medical?

VH-YYY
7th Jul 2009, 22:28
Hey guys,

I need my medical renewed (Class 2) as i was on holidays while it expired can i still get a re-new or do i have to get a whole new one? is there a limit on how many days\months it has to be renewed after it has expired?

Thanks

PlankBlender
7th Jul 2009, 22:48
Mate, best to write to avmed at casa.gov.au or give them a call on 1300 737 032 or 131 757 and ask the question, the web site is low on detailed content and you'll get a lot of anecdotal and sometimes well-meant but outdated advice here.

I got a fast and to the point reply to my query about renewal of a class 1 a while back, namely that initial issue was only needed again after expiration of more than five years, and quite a few people here and in 'real life' had told me otherwise.. They will be able to look into your file and advise any specific examinations you'll need to do based on your age and when you last did things like ECG, hearing test, etc., which cuts down on the possible eff-ups with DAME and later in the process. :ok:

goin'flyin
7th Jul 2009, 23:16
When dealings with CASA, call twice, if you get two different answers from two different people, call a third time to break the tie.
Take notes on all your phone calls, who you spoke to and what they said. etc.

PlankBlender
7th Jul 2009, 23:29
..been lucky in that advice given has always been well-informed and consistent. Then again I haven't had to ask often yet..

Of course always better to get it in writing, if push came to shove you could say you relied on written advice given, and any civilised judge would normally be with you as an organisation usually is held to statements made from an employee..

I'm keeping that email reply about the class 1 renewal in a safe place anyway :}

mingalababya
8th Jul 2009, 03:21
initial issue was only needed again after expiration of more than five yearsYes, that's correct. I had to do an initial issue again after being out of aviation for more than 5 years. Being late for a renewal by a few months only means you can't fly solo or do a rating renewal until your medical has been renewed. No dramas.

ReverseFlight
8th Jul 2009, 15:39
Hi minga, do you have a regulatory reference for the maximum interim period before renewal ? I looked in CASR 67 but couldn't find it.
http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/rules/1998casr/067/067casr.pdf

Thanks in advance.

mingalababya
9th Jul 2009, 04:00
G'day RF .. if I remember correctly, that requirement was stipulated on the medical form that the DAME fills in when doing your medical. I'm about to do a renewal in a couple of weeks, so can confirm this then.

blackburn
9th Jul 2009, 07:01
From the Designated Aviation Medical Examiner's Handbook - available on the CASA Web Site:
MRS (CASA Medical Records System Online) automatically generates an original medical history questionnaire whenever a period of 5 years or longer has passed since the applicant’s last medical assessment report
This will probably clarify the situation re the "5 years" since the last medical. The "DAME Handbook" shows all the requirements in fairly great detail.
Blackburn

ReverseFlight
11th Jul 2009, 15:29
Back to VH-YYY's original question which started this thread regarding his medical expiring whilst on holidays, what is the difference between the 5-year rule and the following extracted from page 64 of the latest edition of FlightSafety (Issue 69 July-Aug 2009) ?

Left it a bit late ? The DAME may re-validate your medical for up to 2 months from the expiry date if he considers you are fit to fly. This re-validation can only be for 2 months and only if you do not have the restriction "RENEW BY CASA ONLY".

Presumably if you act within 2 months after expiry, you will still get your renewal certificate from CASA while you continue to fly on the DAME's validation for up to 2 months ?