PDA

View Full Version : Excelsis Airways

dc9-32
7th Jul 2009, 15:28
Your thoughts on whether this is genuine or a school boy project.

Website is available but I won't link it here.

G-AWZK
7th Jul 2009, 16:58
Website has no working functionality, but the company was registered at Companies House on the 23rd of June this year.

EXCELSIS AVIATION LIMITED
VICTORY HOUSE UNITS 11 & 12 PIONEER COURT
MORTON PLAMS BUSINESS PARK
DARLINGTON
COUNTY DURHAM
UNITED KINGDOM
DL1 4WD
Company No. 06941777

The graphics seem to indicate a Dornier 328 jet in a bizjet configuration.

greatoaks
9th Jul 2009, 20:36
Links Back between Heathrow and Durham Tees Valley (http://news.holidayhypermarket.co.uk/Links-Back-between-Heathrow-and-Durham-Tees-Valley-2009051113192656.html)

A 737-300 44 seater no less :hmm:

fjencl
18th Jul 2009, 15:40
There web site is to launch 24/07/09, so we will have to watch and see what happens.
:):):)

G-AWZK
20th Jul 2009, 11:45
According to this newspaper article
Bid to bring back Heathrow flights (From The Northern Echo) (http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/campaigns/keepregionflying/4357684.Bid_to_bring_back_Heathrow_flights/?ref=rss)

Excelsis are planning to operate a "triangular route" with their 737 from Durham to LHR to LCY.

I do hope their passengers enjoy the free swim in the Thames when their 44 seat executive 737 runs off the runway...

I suspect their credibility is being tested somewhat with that sort of comment.:ugh:

SWBKCB
24th Jul 2009, 09:58
Excelsis website now launched - London City with Dash Eight 400's from mid September. Couple of interesting points from their press release:

it’ll be the first airline to be based in the region since northeast airlines was swallowed up by british airways in 1973.

* note to editors* - please be aware that for operational reasons - and to protect the confidentiality of some of our partners - there will be no interviews - or further information about excelsis airways operations at this time. however, more details will be released in the next few weeks so watch this space. ..

MUFC_fan
24th Jul 2009, 10:12
Can we have a link please...

tommyc2005
24th Jul 2009, 10:41
The fact that Durham has been spelt incorrectly on the website is a strong suggestion that this is still a university project, just with a more realistic aircraft type.

The list of vacant positions is also slightly dubious - does a one aircraft outfit flying one route really need a uniform and grooming officer?

Good luck with the dissertation I say, but don't rush to apply for a job!

geordiejet
24th Jul 2009, 11:14
Just been on the website for Excelsis, and looks like they have copied all of the info from flyPorter.com. The part where it says cabin crew must have a canadian passport kinda gives it away. I'll believe this when it happens!

RedPortLeft
24th Jul 2009, 11:18
The website is at least a major triumph of style over substance. Shame about the "Duhram Teesvalley" bit :)

"customer service representative - baggage"

There's a job title to aspire to, but in the qualifications :

"ability to communicate and correspond clearly and precisely in english & french"

What's that all about ? Has someone been cutting and pasting from somewhere ? Not suggesting anything untoward but flyporter.com careers section seems strangely familiar ...

geordiejet - you beat me to it :ok:

Flightrider
24th Jul 2009, 11:46
The whole thing has a distinctly Porteresque feeling about it. I don't suppose that Porter is, in fact, one of the "partners" whose identity they are keen not to disclose at this stage? It would at least explain where they are getting Q400s from, given that there aren't exactly a lot available.

SWBKCB
24th Jul 2009, 12:23
New start up Excelsis have launched their website - proposing 3 daily DHC-8 srs 400 flights from DTVA from mid-September. Comments on the DTVA thread have pointed out similarities to the flyPorter website (i.e. cabin crew requiring Canadian passports...)

Excelsis Airways - Duhram Teesvalley airport, London City Airport (http://www.excelsisairways.com/)

airhumberside
24th Jul 2009, 12:47
it’ll be the first airline to be based in the region since northeast airlines was swallowed up by british airways in 1973.
Gill Airways?

EDIT - another 'dubious' quote
excelsis airways is the only short-haul premium carrier in the uk
Eastern?

MUFC_fan
24th Jul 2009, 12:56
A capital letter wouldn't go a miss either.

Also, as the website is up, how come it takes until September to get the seats on sale when they will be launching in September?! Surely you would want the seats on sale asap to sell as many seats as possible?:confused:

We'll see...

dc9-32
24th Jul 2009, 14:40
Canadian AOC maybe :confused:

globetrotter79
24th Jul 2009, 14:40
If this is all real (admittedly a big "IF" right now - interesting that DTVA make no reference to it on their website...which you'd rather think they would for such a prospective major new operation)...could it be an arrangement with flyBe along the same lines as the Olympic Air deal?

WHBM
24th Jul 2009, 14:47
6th form website-writing project, plagiarised from Porter Airlines in Canada.

Expressflight
24th Jul 2009, 15:31
Oh, come on!

Nobody believes this has even the remotest link to reality do they?

andrewmcharlton
24th Jul 2009, 15:57
The whole thing is totally hokey.

Just reading the site there are so many inaccuracies and inconsistencies as well as "we won't make any press statements".

Utter tripe.

sam1993
24th Jul 2009, 17:00
Excelsis have launched their website today and under the aircraft section is listed a Q400 not a Boeing 737 as has been reported. :ok:

Bol Zup
24th Jul 2009, 17:40
Oh, come on!

Nobody believes this has even the remotest link to reality do they?

Apparently the Evening Gazette does, on the front page.

andrewmcharlton
24th Jul 2009, 18:00
See the DTV thread on this one.

OMGitsDAVE
24th Jul 2009, 18:08
This has been on both the BBC & ITV News (Regional & National), yet the website lacks capital letters and all of the pages are under maintenance - great website!

SWBKCB
24th Jul 2009, 18:09
From the Evening Gazette - overwhelming enthusiasm...

In a statement, DTVA said: “We have met with Excelsis Airways to discuss their proposals and we look forward to receiving further information and details of the services they intend to introduce. We are, of course, in discussion on a regular basis with airlines on possible opportunities for services into London and other destinations and, despite the current economic difficulties, we remain committed to expanding services from Durham Tees Valley, both for business and leisure travellers.”

Richard Taylor
24th Jul 2009, 18:14
Wasn't Jersey Airport scammed recently by a young lad who fooled them into thinking he was about to launch an airline, like some teenage Branson? Got as far as a "fruitful" meeting with them as I recall! :=

paarmo
24th Jul 2009, 22:07
On teletext they even had to explain that Durham Tees Valley airport was near Darlington. Is it just me or have the lunatics finally taken over the asylum?

andrewmcharlton
24th Jul 2009, 23:28
IN the words of BlackAdder, "wibble".

ted320
25th Jul 2009, 12:51
From BBC News...

The airport, near Darlington, lost services to London in 2006, when bmibaby axed its Heathrow route.

Excelsis Airways says it hopes to create several hundred jobs when it launches three flights a day to London City Airport from September.

:rolleyes:

Several hundred jobs to support three flights a day?? The list of jobs has quite clearly been copied from a Canadian website as they make references to Canadian air regulations and ramp workers are required to have an Ontario driving licence or out of province equivalent!!

Some of the jobs advertised made me smile..

uniforms & grooming executive - darlington, hq
functions: reporting to the manager, people this position manages the uniform function at excelsis.

Its all a big hoax!!!

maxtoon
25th Jul 2009, 12:55
all i can say is .. hmmm :hmm:

BBC NEWS | UK | England | Airline will resume London link (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8168249.stm)

learjet50
25th Jul 2009, 14:39
Its total crap

No one would even consider tees Side to city in the present crisis

Sorry but sombody somewhere is winding every body up

Have a Nice Weekend

skyman771
25th Jul 2009, 15:14
Excelsis :- I have never "bought" into this and to me in retrospect it becomes even more absurd. From talk about 737's in all exec. config. to now 4 x Dash 8.400's demonstrates a very fickle approach to this matter. Indeed the only complement I can make to the perpetrators(s) is well done to the obtaining of free publicity for their website irrespective as to it's purpose. Back to reality and surely the veil drawn over the real purpose of this can easily be lifted by the press or indeed anyone else paying a visit to "11/12 Pioneer Court"!
As for DTVA & their recent statement then I would suggest that in reality they too remain sceptical as the DTVA website currently makes no reference to this venture, and from experience due to the site being desperate for news, when even a pool full of newts can make headlines. Furthermore :- the airport stopped short of saying the new Excelsis service was a done deal..
suggests that DTV actually know very little themselves.
The whole concept is devoid of any business logic as one should never seek to market a product pre-contract, as it alerts others (possibly the real intention? Flybe..:E) & it weakens ones bargaining position & drives up the price! Some one is taking the p**s big time ..it could only happen at DTV:suspect::ugh:

xtypeman
25th Jul 2009, 16:28
Might be worth having a look at the Jersey thread for last week.

mccdatabase
26th Jul 2009, 08:43
The press cannot even get the facts right ! it was bmi that ran the Heathrow flights not bmi baby and they pulled out earlier this year not in 2006, I would have hoped the Airport Sales and Marketing people could have put them straight on the facts but they are too useless to do even the simplest of tasks.
As long as Peel continue to let the current bunch of inept no hopers run MME there is only one direction the airport will go and the sad fact is that there is not much further to fall before closing down time.

The staff at MME did not deserve to be let down in such spectacular fashion by the MME management who are absolute :mad:

OMGitsDAVE
26th Jul 2009, 17:45
I know that it is a shot in the dark, but I really believe that Excelsis could pull through - Grand Central did exactly the same with delays, false advertising etc...

I do realise that there is a SMALL market at DTV, but it is getting better to be honest - I went to Amsterdam Schiphol with KLM, and the flight was full (during school times)...

------

I also believe that with the new Tees Metro which is coming soon, and if Northern decide to operate a regular service (or make the Saltburn - Darlington trains stop) to DTV, then its growth will be a lot quicker.

Cyrano
27th Jul 2009, 10:20
I know that it is a shot in the dark, but I really believe that Excelsis could pull through

Dave, do you not get it? Excelsis is at best a spoof and at worst a delusional wish-fulfilment exercise. I mean, come on - the jobs section of their website was cut-and-pasted directly from that of Porter Airlines, an established (and much larger) Canadian operator, to the extent of asking for Canadian licences. (They've now done a search-and-replace to change "Canada" into "eu" (no pesky upper-case letters for them!) but still want their IT technicians to "travel to us destinations" - oops, missed that one, boys!).

Don't just take my word for it. Go over to the "people" section of the Excelsis website. Pick a bit of text (leave out the word "excelsis"). I've grabbed a chunk from the second bullet point of the first job: with the support of the broader sales team, implement process improvement, training, communication, change management tools and support mechanisms necessary to effectively increase
Plug that into your Google search box and... oh dear, what's this? Google's found a word-for-word match with the Porter Airlines website. :ooh:

Ask yourself: if the likes of flyBE, with a strong brand and more Q400s than they know what to do with, aren't interested in having a go at a Teesside-London link, why would these guys have a hope, if they don't even know enough to figure out what positions they should be hiring for?

And finally - if you wanted to launch an airline in these difficult days, and get as much publicity as possible, would you really launch your website, then post a note on it saying
* note to editors* - please be aware that for operational reasons - and to protect the confidentiality of some of our partners - there will be no interviews - or further information about excelsis airways operations at this time.

:ugh:

skyman771
27th Jul 2009, 12:17
Cyrano - great post, I too wasn't sure what planet "Dave" was on but worked it out when I noted his faith in the planned Tees Metro..........;)

hatchetman
28th Jul 2009, 16:03
Pie in the sky. Only possibility of a start up is by using a handling agent. Only likely jobs for the area are cabin crew. Why bother with a website offering numerous jobs that will not be required

uklad007
28th Jul 2009, 22:49
Not sure what to believe on this one - if its fake, they have the press fooled - if its real they might be ok with a DTV-LCY but not sure what their other three proposed planes will do if all based at DTV - cant see what other routes with business fares would work in this climate from here...........

However if it is a fake they have gone to a lot of trouble, on the Excelsis thread someone put on the companies address and registered company number - so being nosey i ran a check on it at companies house (free to do so no effort on my part) and i'll go to the foot of our stairs....on the companies house website its registered with the same address and was incorporated on 26th June 2009 and is an active company.

Now if its a school project they are going to a lot of trouble and a bit of expense (to register the company) to fool people or for a school/college/uni project.

Also by claiming they were a real company with premises on a real trading estate if this is all a project or a hoax then effectively are they not breaking a law by claiming to be registered at an address when they are not??

In my mind the jury is still out and i wouldnt bet either way at this stage.:confused:

paarmo
28th Jul 2009, 23:16
It only costs about £20 to register.
The problem is that there are so many inconsistencies with the excelsis scenario. This has been exacerbated by the updating of the website as people pick out the faults with the peoples page.Obviously someone is monitoring the chat rooms on this company and fixing the faults as people find them. Strange system for a pukkagen company.

johnnychips
29th Jul 2009, 00:58
We had all this in Donny when Shaheen promised flights to Pakistan. But at least they did physically exist and turned up at LBA a year later, running flights for a couple of months before they were grounded.

And isn't there some putative airline supposed to be running flights from Cardiff that we are not supposed to mention on Pprune by pain of Death (I may have got the airport wrong here)

This Excelsis sounds cojones to me.

xtypeman
29th Jul 2009, 08:05
There is an airline proposed for Cardiff but i think you are refering to Dragon fly an exec operator. As to Execelses as i have said before look at the Jersey thread. Channel Connect Airways got some very very senior people in aviation talking to the main man!! who i believe lives in York. There was even an artical in the Times on line about that one. Appears the guy suffers from a mental illness but is very clever. As said it only cost £20 to register a company and look through estate agents web-site to find offices avaliable thats the address soughted. This has happened before and i will guess it will happen again. Who can remeber Horizon Airways at Gatwick back in the 80's. The lad a 14 year old had had discussion with McDonald Douglas and they had reserved production slots again a school project. However this one from York is a bit older believed to be in his 20s.

deltahotel9
29th Jul 2009, 09:04
Here is the story of the 17 year old from York who was fooling people with his start-up airline (Ananova - Teen posed as airline tycoon (http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_3409041.html?FORM=ZZNR7)) not sure if it is the airline in question though as the article doesn't name it.

MME4eva
29th Jul 2009, 12:05
Triple pledge on Ciy flights

Jul 28 2009 (http://www.nebusiness.co.uk/business-news/latest-business-news/2009/07/28/) Evening Gazette (http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/)
THE region’s newest airline yesterday confirmed it will “definitely” be running a three times a day service from Durham Tees Valley Airport (DTVA) to London City.
Darlington-based Excelsis Airways said the new service, which will be operational later this year, was part of strategic plans to develop other routes in and out of Teesside and create “hundreds” of jobs over the next few years.
The airline will target business and leisure customers within a 60-minute commute of DTVA. Tees Valley travellers have not been able to fly direct to London since bmi withdrew its Heathrow service in the spring.
A source at Excelsis said: “We are hoping to take advantage of a large catchment area around the airport. It is our plan to develop as many routes as possible from Durham Tees Valley.”
He said restoring the Teesside-Heathrow link was “an option on the table” although nothing concrete had been agreed.
“It’s expensive flying to Heathrow (and) there aren’t that many slots available.”
DTVA said positive discussions with Excelsis were ongoing.
Regional development agency One North East welcomed the news and said the airport brought “significant economic value to the region”.
Simon Goon, head of business investment at the agency, said Durham Tees Valley and Newcastle International airports handle more than 6m passengers annually, provide employment for more than 4,000 people and share a combined direct contribution of £400m to regional GVA – 50% more than in 1998.
Tees Valley Regeneration, said it would welcome the re-start of flights from DTVA to London which “would make it even easier to do business with the scores of successful firms operating in this area.”
Excelsis, which also considered developing services from Newcastle, is looking to recruit staff including pilots, cabin crews, flight attendants and maintenance engineers.

Jamesair
29th Jul 2009, 12:12
Does anyone know if slots have been applied for at LCY? and where are the aircraft and finance coming from?

Whose AOC will they be using to operate?

JKKne
29th Jul 2009, 13:19
MME4Eva

There's nothing in that report from the Gazette thats anything new. Still a claim for hundreds of jobs, fairly unsubstantiated still. No firm spokesman, just a source stating the bleeding obvious about LHR fees and more pleasantries than acceptance from OneNorthEast and the Airport itself.

I simply still cannot see this happening as its all smoke and mirrors at the moment

skyman771
29th Jul 2009, 13:56
It's a scam !!! simple as that & as long as one & all continue to pontificate as to the "why's & whereabouts" of this, then the only certainty is that you are providing further fodder for the perpetrators to "get off " on :ugh:

apaul
29th Jul 2009, 14:04
Skyman, I don't think anyone reading this thread would regard Excelsis as remotely serious. Unfortunately the local media has been lazy and gullible and just regurgitated the most unlikely press statement. Even if a serious airline came along I doubt LCY is a practical proposition. Eastern could not make NCL-LCY pay a few years ago when economic circumstances were better.

andrewmcharlton
29th Jul 2009, 16:21
Skyman is spot on, this is utter sh1t3

Move along....

learjet50
29th Jul 2009, 16:22
re DTV-LCY

No way

If they think Heathrow is epensive they have not seen LCY Charges

Simon Goon (WELL THERES A GOOD NAME) thinks it will pay (I THINK NOT)

Sorry I still think Excelisus is a Scam aimed at some Idiot with a Lot of Money to Invest Then as usual the Top Men take a massive salary for a few months then dissapear to appear some time later..

Maybe Jack Maroochie Airlines will start DTV to JFK with a B747 business class only with 200 seats yeh

paarmo
31st Jul 2009, 21:55
Bear with me on this one moderator.
JAMIER.................is this you?

andrewmcharlton
1st Aug 2009, 09:04
Is this a conspiracy theory developing?

Share the joy..

ComJam
1st Aug 2009, 10:34
Haha, good spoof though :}

Looks like we at Cobham are going to remain as the main operator here then!

Captivep
1st Aug 2009, 13:42
The Press always go for stories like this.

Anybody remember Alpha One?

Token Bird
1st Aug 2009, 15:11
Token Bird has been inspired into investigative mode (possibly by the fact she has spent much of this rainy non-flying day reading a detective novel)!

After pursuing several fruitless avenues of investigation using the magic of t'internet, Token Bird decided to pop by Excelsis' office (it's on the way home anyway).

Token Bird has discovered that said building is vacant! No blinds, no furniture. However, some letters were just inside the doorway, the address of the top one visible. It was addressed to Jim Knight at Excelsis Airways. Possibly a job application from a naive hopeful.

Token Bird has been unsuccessful so far in discovering more details of this mysterious 'Jim Knight'.

MUFC_fan
1st Aug 2009, 17:10
Anybody remember Alpha One?

To be honest captivep, Alpha One got a bit further than we have seen of Excelsis so far!

mattfalcus
8th Aug 2009, 19:26
In the Northern Echo today, a small piece names the first three members of the management team that have been appointed at Excelsis Airways. They are:

Andreas Blass - Chief Executive "who has significant experience of the airline industry."

Keith Watson - Chief commercial officer

Andrew Bray - Flight operations director "after a career which has included more than 20 years with the RAF, and holding the position as operations director for the Middle East's biggest VIP charter service, Royal Jet."

SWBKCB
8th Aug 2009, 19:41
Press release on their website - a quick Google shows that there was an Andreas Blass who was CEO at Binter Canarias

our chief executive officer will be andreas blass. andreas is a highly experienced airline executive with extensive knowledge of tourism & aviation and excelsis is delighted that he has agreed to take the reins of the operation. finding the right path for a fledgling airline is no mean feat, but few are more qualified, or capable of steering the right course than andreas blass. his experience will be vital as andreas has already been involved with the successful start-up of other airlines around the world. andreas says.."i am looking forward to coming to the north-east of england and durham-tees valley in particular, which is a region with a great potential for a regional airline to cater for the local demand for business development. excelsis is looking forward to playing that role and flying for the north-east...."

our flight operations director will be andrew bray. andrew spent over 20 years with the raf, and is a former test pilot. most recently he was overseeing operations at europe’s largest airline training centre in oxford. before that, he was in abu dhabi directing operations for royal jet, the largest vip charter service in the middle east. he will oversee the whole flying operation for excelsis. andrew says... “i’m very excited about finally getting the opportunity to build an operation from scratch using all the knowledge i’ve built-up in thirty years in the aviation industry.”

our chief commercial officer will be keith watson. keith is a multi-skilled sales, marketing and communications manager. he will be responsible for driving all excelsis ticket sales through our website and all other sales channels and key accounts. he was previously working for eastern airlines as head of sales where he gained invaluable experience of marketing a regional airline. he also brings first-hand experience of marketing a route from the north east to london. he’s also worked with other start-up airlines.

DTVAirport
8th Aug 2009, 20:20
Ok, the information that's come to light now is too specific for it to be any kind of College project, this is happening. Whether it'll get to the point of an aircraft leaving the ground and/or how long it will last after that is a different matter entirely.

One thing is for sure, if the Ryanair rumour comes true and includes a London route, someone will have wasted a lot of money trying to start this airline.

LGW_08R
8th Aug 2009, 22:05
-Quote-One thing is for sure, if the Ryanair rumour comes true and includes a London route, someone will have wasted a lot of money trying to start this airline.-End Quote-

In some ways yes, it would affect them. However there will ALWAYS be a demand for people wanting to fly direct into the center of the City. If this venture does happen, then as long as they price themselves correctly and be customer friendly, then competition from other London airports would be in my view at the disadvantage.

paarmo
8th Aug 2009, 23:21
All the names of the people on the press release seem to check out.....oooops!
Still seems a bit James Bondish though.

Skipness One Echo
9th Aug 2009, 00:28
However there will ALWAYS be a demand for people wanting to fly direct into the center of the City.

Er....well Glasgow failed three times before it was reinstated for a fourth time. Dropped by Air UK, ScotAirways and then BA before BA returned when they axed a few GLA-LHR slots.
Belfast was dropped recently by ScotAirways as the traffic didn't materialise as a lot of Befast traffic is connecting on and there's none of that at LCY. The leisure market is best served on a cheaper option than a Do328.
Newcastle was uneconomic on a Jetstream 41 for Eastern as the landing rates discount ran out and market rates killed the yield.
Manchester has just been axed by VLM, following Liverpool last year.

Therefore, unless this operation is seriously capitalised to take losses for a long period, I doubt they'll last six months as the demand for air travel from the square mile to Middlesborough and the Tees Valley isn't that huge. They will have to charge real money to make this work and somehow I don't see that happening.

Ryanair would surely run STN-MME just for the summer to kill them off.

andrewmcharlton
9th Aug 2009, 08:19
For the record, I met a person on the management at DTV last week at an unrelated event and mentioned this to them, I won't name them as it was off the record, but my source told me they'd met Excelsis 3 times including at "their premises".

He didn't comment on any specifics of it but gace the impression that whilst they were very sceptical they have to be seen to do anything and everything to support any effort which may attract business. I think to be fair they are in a difficult spot whatever they say or do.

As for the "airline" don't overlook the whole amateur look, the cut and pasting of an entire Canadian airline ste and the fact that any of us could list three real people on a website, until they come out and show themselves it means nothing. By that standard I would have watched everyone from Zico to Platini at the toon and if memory serves me......

N707ZS
9th Aug 2009, 09:09
I met a person on the management at DTV last week at an unrelated event and mentioned this to them, I won't name them!

Stockton festival was quite good I cannot remember the bit with the clowns in though!

andrewmcharlton
9th Aug 2009, 09:11
My sides have split with laughter making a response difficult, however, "my source" was a senior person who I heard it from the 'orses mouth as it were.

mattfalcus
9th Aug 2009, 16:59
Had a pint with my dad's mate at lunchtime today. He runs an engineering firm, and made the point that Teesside's engineering and chemical industries have no need to be whisked to the docklands. Their business is in the M4 corridor, or elsewhere round the world. In other words, they need a Heathrow link either for close access to the south west, or for onward connections. Flights to the docklands just adds travel time to their journey.

SWBKCB
11th Aug 2009, 17:10
Sceptical comment from the Evening Gazette

nebusiness.co.uk - Commercial Reviews - Commercial and Industry Reviews - Chemical Industry - New airline could help Tees Valley take off (http://www.nebusiness.co.uk/business-commercial-reviews/commercial-and-industry-reviews/the-chemical-industry/2009/08/11/new-airline-could-help-tees-valley-take-off-51140-24363420/)

Skipness One Echo
11th Aug 2009, 17:53
Excelsis is also hopeful about winning a prized Heathrow slot

There's a raffle?

xtypeman
11th Aug 2009, 18:36
If youve got a million.........

HUYHedgeHog
11th Aug 2009, 19:11
. he was previously working for eastern airlinesI think they mean Eastern Airways. They also appear to have a complete inability to use capital letters, is this some new age modern writing style that I am too old for?

Jester2
11th Aug 2009, 20:58
I have been following developments with this so called airline for around a week now. I know someone personally who has been meeting with an 'md' of this 'venture'. This person is supplying all the telecomms for 'excelsis'.
Naturally, on hearing this, it caused me to rethink my sceptisism somewhat.

But a recent conversation with a locally based pilot, has I'm afraid set large alarm bells ringing!?

He and others present at the time were of the impression that this whole thing is a local area Grant Scam!!

Albeit a very elaborate scam, as it would have to be for the large monies involved in an airline start up. It would seem that it is working to an extent, and people/businesses have already been suckered in.

This is a rumour, but I for one can see it!

Anyone any thoughts?

DTVAirport
11th Aug 2009, 22:51
I wish DTVA saw more press articles like that one above from the Evening Gazette - it's perfect, I wish they'd write one related to the incompetant Management team/owners of the airport.

As for the lack of capital letters, I think it's related to the branding, bmi and a few others don't use capitals.

VOM1T
12th Aug 2009, 09:45
Andreas Blass - interesting choice of CEO - (ex-CEO at ISLAS Airways; Member of Start-Up Team at Hapag Lloyd Express HLX.com).

Nakata77
12th Aug 2009, 12:47
Did he have anything to do with Flynow? The airline that was going to operate from Luton/Bournemouth with B737's but never did...

DTVAirport
14th Aug 2009, 15:44
Peel have finally commented on Excelsis, this article is in the September 2009 issue of Airliner World:

A former member of British Airways cabin crew is behind a project to launch a carrier in the UK's North East. His proposed start-up, Excelsis Airways, plans to launch operations later this year from Durham Tees Valley to London City using Dash 8-Q400s. A spokesman from Peel Holdings, the owner of the airport, confirmed that tentative talks had already taken place with the operator: "We are, of course, in discussions on a regular basis with airlines on possible opportunities for services into London. We have met with Excelsis and we look forward to receiving further information and details of the services they intend to introduce."

paarmo
14th Aug 2009, 20:43
An ex BA steward is behind this? Where did he get the money from? Tips?

scottcalvin
15th Aug 2009, 09:14
Well I say good luck to him to have the initiative to take it on. I think its good to see people being entrepreneurial in this country, too many old geezers who think they know better stopping people and in reality do nothing themselves apart from moan.

If this person starts an airline and succeeds then it will create economic benefits, if he fails then he fails because people don't support him and his market research is poor.

Eitherway he gets my vote for positive actions.

paarmo
15th Aug 2009, 22:26
Give us a break. There seems to be somebody different in charge every time a press release is updated.

Cyrano
17th Aug 2009, 11:26
As for the lack of capital letters, I think it's related to the branding, bmi and a few others don't use capitals.

Correction, the likes of bmi don't use capitals in their name, and that's fine, but when writing normal text (e.g. on the website) they write in normal English. Choosing not to use capitals in writing ordinary text is choosing "being different" over readability - it's just a rather silly affectation in my view. What next, website written in txtspk?

andrewmcharlton
17th Aug 2009, 21:32
Does your definition of entrepreneurial extend to doing a cut and paste from another airlines website? This is total hocus bolleaux. The airport guys have to be seen to be doing everything but this seems to be a joke too far now.

shamrock7seal
18th Aug 2009, 07:04
yes... and think of the terrible PR if this is a legitimate start up where the CEO was cutting and pasting another airlines website, what about safety?!

woofly31
18th Aug 2009, 08:32
Has anyone applied for any of the variety of jobs on offer? If they are looking for Crew wouldnt they need to be on a TR course for the Dash as we speak to meet the suggested start date. I can't see a flood of Flybe Dash Drivers jumping ship....:confused:

andrewmcharlton
18th Aug 2009, 10:02
what about safety?!

Our estwhile poster scottcalvin thinks on a nother thread that the govt shouldn't be so strict on said startups, muppetry grade A.

fjencl
19th Aug 2009, 15:37
Excelsis now updated there web site with ..........."we are in the process of obtain our operating licence"

How long does it take to get one of those ?????

Then what happens after that ????

Hipennine
22nd Aug 2009, 10:58
Well somebody seems to have roused the Northern Echo:

?I?ll prove air link doubters wrong? (From The Northern Echo) (http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/4560250.___I___ll_prove_air_link_doubters_wrong___/)

leisurelad
22nd Aug 2009, 12:11
Well i hope he enjoyed doing his project watching Jeremy Kyle in the mornings.

10/10 for Effort
10/10 for Imagination
05/10 for Punctuation
01/10 for Copyright

and lastly, 10/10 for fooling the press, mind you, it doesn't take much, they have to have something to write about.

Well, i spose he was only trying to make his dream happen, can't blame him for that, but for now, turn over to channel 5 for Trisha.

:E:E:E

Nakata77
22nd Aug 2009, 12:15
great post leisurelad...

i personally will not be flying on this airline even if it does come to fruition which is as likely as DTVA getting 3m pax a year

GROUNDHOG
22nd Aug 2009, 18:59
Kind of reminds me of when the policeman tried to book the vicar for riding his bike with a dodgy light .. He gave the light a kick, it came on and he said. " You can't get me for that, God is with me". "Gotcha for two on a bike though" said the copper!!:)

maxtoon
22nd Aug 2009, 23:17
why would we doubt him ..

he lives in a terraced house in middlesborough and he's on a mission from god :uhoh:

for god's sake :eek:

Nakata77
23rd Aug 2009, 06:51
I am surprised this isn't attracting the attention of the MI5 and the secret service!

ryanair1
23rd Aug 2009, 07:06
You would not know if they were interested - thats why they are the 'Secret Service'!

DTVAirport
23rd Aug 2009, 10:54
Not that this matters as such since the popular believe is that it's never going to happen, but if it should, it looks like they'll be a ticketing agency rather than an airline, e.g. Manx2 - piggybacking someone else's AOC.

andrewmcharlton
23rd Aug 2009, 11:23
This is not going to happen, period.

The whole thing has been a shower of brown stuff from the off and only a couple of people have ever thought otherwise. More chance of Santa Claus arriving, but just a minute, Santa, ScottCalvin, hmmmm

RedPortLeft
23rd Aug 2009, 15:29
backed by God
Here we go. I'm sure flights from DTV to LCY are high on His priority list.
Praise the Lord and give me $10 :ugh:

andrewmcharlton
28th Aug 2009, 17:13
oh dear me, more bovine excrement....

[quote] £10m backing for new air service to London

Aug 28 2009 by Iain Laing (http://www.nebusiness.co.uk/authors/iain-laing/), The Journal (http://www.journallive.co.uk/)
A GROUP of businessmen (http://www.pprune.org/#) who plan to launch a North East airline to fly between Teesside and London say they have lined up £10m backing.
Excelsis Airways says it has secured backing from European equity (http://www.pprune.org/#) funds and hopes to begin a service between Durham Tees Valley Airport and London’s City Airport this year.

The service would be a big boost for the North airport, which has seen passenger numbers fall this year and lost a bmi flight to Heathrow and a Ryanair service to Dublin.

Excelsis is keen to establish its credentials despite not yet having an operating licence, an office or any aircraft. It is currently based in the boardroom of the Thistle Hotel in Middlesbrough. But the company said yesterday the funding would help it lease two 72-seater turbo prop planes and get its operator licence within weeks.

It said it was still in talks to open a permanent base at Morton Palms business park in Darlington and set up a regular service with City Airport.
The company said it could not reveal the names of the investors backing it or give details about its founder, Victor Bassey, beyond confirming he is a Nigerian who has held executive roles with other airlines.

Mr Bassey said: “We have been given clear commitments for financing. They [the funders] are impressed by our business plan.” Mr Bassey and the head of the new management team, CEO Andreas Blass, say they have been involved with the start-up of other airlines around the world but declined to give details.

Flight operations director Andrew Bray is a former test pilot and chief commercial officer Keith Watson was previously head of sales at Eastern Airways

paarmo
28th Aug 2009, 22:59
Here is a link with photographs of the "startup team" Gazette Live - News - Local News - Airline behind planned Tees Valley-London City route claims to be ready for take-off (http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/2009/08/28/airline-behind-planned-tees-valley-london-city-route-claims-to-be-ready-for-take-off-84229-24554978/)
It gets stranger by the hour.

FFC
5th Oct 2009, 06:05
Durham Tees Valley Airport News Stories (http://www.uk-airport-news.info/durham-tees-valley-airport-news.htm)

N Echo
13th Oct 2009, 13:09
Hi
The Northern Echo was the first paper to go public with fears over Excelsis
As you can see, things have got a darn sight worse today:
Excelsis Airlines NE flight plans in disarray as management team resigns (From The Northern Echo) (http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/newsediting/4679281.Excelsis_Airlines_NE_flight_plans_in_disarray_as_man agement_team_resigns/)

GAXLN
13th Oct 2009, 15:29
Looks like Cleveland Police are taking a keen interest in Mr Bassey as Excelsis's management team resign.

Excelsis Airlines NE flight plans in disarray as management team resigns (From The Northern Echo) (http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/newsediting/4679281.Excelsis_Airlines_NE_flight_plans_in_disarray_as_man agement_team_resigns/)

Oh dear ... well done to all the doubters who saw through this from the beginning :D

andrewmcharlton
13th Oct 2009, 16:52
I bet the illustrious board of executives feel less than smart now.....

paarmo
13th Oct 2009, 22:25
Shirley's son says the cheque's in the post.
I wonder how much money he actually got out of this? From the last picture in the newspapers when they doorstepped him he wasn't wasting it on accomodation costs.

andrewmcharlton
13th Oct 2009, 22:37
Indeed and it seems like none of the erstwhile board bothered to do any comprehensive background or financial checks. Can't believe anyone was taken in by it for a moment.

paarmo
13th Oct 2009, 22:47
If you are out of work and it would appear that all of the startup team were and someone offers you maybe £60,000 a year and shares in a future company wouldn't you give it a whirl?

Expressflight
14th Oct 2009, 07:24
No, because it doesn't look good on your CV that you were naive enough to be taken in by such a load of bunkum without checking it out in a professional manner.

Doors to Automatic
16th Oct 2009, 14:12
Any industry person with half a brain cell would immediately dismiss this as nonsense based on the initial plan.

A 44-seat (!!) 737-300 service which routes via LHR (where are they going to get the slots from?) and then attempts to get into LCY - well I would love to be there for the inaugural "landing" - is never really going to look serious is it!

Jamesair
16th Oct 2009, 15:24
I would have thought that most people, especially pros would be aware that a 737 cannot land at LCY.

papa oscar
16th Oct 2009, 18:10
You might get a 737 into LCY, but you won't get it out unless it's on a barge!!! :}

SWBKCB
17th Oct 2009, 20:26
just to show journalists can serve a purpose...

Victor]Victor Bassey - The truth behind the airline entrepreneur (From The Northern Echo) (http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/4688102.Victor_Bassey___The_truth_behind_the_airline_entrepr eneur/) Bassey - The truth behind the airline entrepreneur (From The Northern Echo)

sunshine79
17th Oct 2009, 21:06
Blimey, this man is unbelievable. starts to make you wonder if he is here legit. Next thing you know, immigration will be on his back.

fenwader
21st Oct 2009, 15:18
I think that if you were more informed, you would know that the 737 was never a realistic offer. it was mentioned in some early PR stunt to create publicity. With regard to checks on the founder - Victor Bassey, be assured that many involved did " searches" but with no positive - or negative feedback. Go with the flow was the attitude until the tide turned, which it did. Regardless of some of the comments posted there were some well meaning and talented people involved some of which were burnt both financially as well as emotionally.
The motive behind the scam - only one person can answer that and he isnt talking!

shecter1234
23rd Oct 2009, 10:52
A development...

BREAKING NEWS: Airline chief arrested on fraud allegation (From The Northern Echo) (http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/4699681.BREAKING_NEWS__Airline_chief_arrested_on_fraud_alleg ation/):=

IDR
23rd Oct 2009, 15:56
From the BBC

The owner of an airline company has been arrested on suspicion of fraud
Excelsis Airlines, set up by Victor Bassey, planned to resume commercial flights between Durham Tees Valley Airport and London.
Earlier in October the entire board of the company resigned, claiming they had not been paid.
Cleveland Police confirmed on Friday that detectives from the fraud investigation team were questioning 49-year-old Mr Bassey.

andrewmcharlton
23rd Oct 2009, 22:38
I think that if you were more informed, you would know that the 737 was never a realistic offer

It was called into question the instant it was posted I believe, nobody took that seriously. Departures in a 737 from LCY are by barge.

many involved did " searches" but with no positive - or negative feedback

Can't have searched too hard as most of the information is there if you just look. Anyone taking a "go with the flow" attitude trying to run an airline is dafter than they seem.

Expressflight
24th Oct 2009, 07:21
I'm amazed that any experienced aviation professionals were deluded into thinking Excelsis offered them any hope of worthwhile employment.

Right from the start those on this forum with airline management experience were sounding alarm bells. I mean, you would at least refer to PPRuNe so see what was being said and then dig a bit deeper as a result surely.

Richard Taylor
24th Oct 2009, 08:10
And the lesson of this tale seems to be beware of Nigerians flashing cash...& offering to fly a 737 into LCY...:rolleyes:

georgesantos17
14th Nov 2009, 15:28
Have you guys seen the article in the latest edition of Airliners? Read it, first time I heard of it (yesterday) I just laughed.

I am doing a degree in a related subject and I could write at least a 5000 word report on why this airline wouldn't last a few years.

Lack of thought and attention to detail in this project. :( Why anyone would want to fly with them when they can get the high speed train which most likely will be cheaper, which comes into effect in a few years time down the east coast, I do not know.

Also, the website is bad and... it just would not be sustainable. :=

Fernanjet
14th Nov 2009, 15:39
I'm not one to say that they will start up or even make a go of it if they do....

but this statement from above....It's just silly and thoughtless.....

why anyone would want to fly with them when they can get the high speed train which comes into effect in a few years time down the east coast, I do not know

Maybe.....because the train, as you say, comes into effect in A FEW YEARS TIME.......

Long wait isn't it.....

georgesantos17
14th Nov 2009, 16:31
You tell me what happens when they do... the fact is that the domestic market for air travel in the UK is deteriorating because of it.

There will be less demand for regional/domestic flights when the improved rail network comes into force and especially in the current economic climate, you would have to be crazy to invest in the domestic market. The only way you could compete with the trains is keeping the costs low and increasing efficiency and frequency of flights, otherwise it's a no go.

Who wants to wait around at an airport when they can catch the train in a matter of seconds and arrive at their destination in roughly the same time as flying?

The only competitor, in my belief, to the high speed rail network, factoring in price, journey time and service will be Ryanair due to their low fares. Other airlines such as BA and BMI whom operate domestic flights are quite expensive to fly with, costing even more than the train.

andrewmcharlton
14th Nov 2009, 21:58
Get a grip, the airline and the high speed train are both a work of fiction.

Get with the program folks.

STN Ramp Rat
7th May 2010, 18:48
nebusiness.co.uk - News - Business News - Airline boss is charged with fraud (http://www.nebusiness.co.uk/business-news/latest-business-news/2010/05/07/airline-boss-is-charged-with-fraud-51140-26397962/)

Airline boss is charged with fraud
May 7 2010 by jez Davison, Evening Gazette

A NIGERIAN businessman who pledged to restore Teesside’s air link with London has been charged with fraud.

Victor Bassey, the founder of Excelsis Airways - whose entire management team quit last year in a row over pay - is due to appear at Teesside Magistrates’ Court on May 13 to face the charges. He has been bailed until the hearing.

A spokesperson for Cleveland Police said: “A 49-year-old man has been charged with fraudulent trading, possession of articles for the use in fraud and five offences of obtaining services by deception.”

The announcement is the latest twist in a saga that originally had promised good news for Tees Valley commuters.

Last August Mr Bassey, who has been involved in other start-up airlines, claimed he had secured £10m that would give lift-off to a three-times-a-day service from Durham Tees Valley Airport (DTVA) to London City by the end of 2009.

The move was part of a plan to operate a short-haul, premium service that would connect Tees Valley with European destinations within a 90-minute flying time - primarily, but not exclusively, aimed at the business traveller.

But the much-heralded venture failed to take off when the funding did not materialise.

Doubts also surfaced when it emerged the Teesside-London City route had not been finalised and the Civil Aviation Authority had not received - and is yet to receive - an application for an operator’s licence.

Durham Tees Valley Airport (DTVA) declined to comment on Mr Bassey or Excelsis and said it was no further forward in its attempts to reinstate Tees Valley’s air link with London.

A DTVA spokesperson said: “It’s undoubtedly a difficult nut to crack. At the moment there is nothing on the horizon.”

However, a Teesside-London tie-up is still on the radar of DTVA, which could be in line for a multi-million pound compensation pay-out from bmibaby after the budget airline pulled out of Teesside four years ago.

This week three Appeal Court judges ruled that bmibaby breached its contractual obligations to base two of its aircraft exclusively at the North-eastern hub from spring 2006 until 2014.

DTVA has valued its claim against the airline at up to £12m.

paarmo
23rd Nov 2010, 09:04
" Backed by God"
Victor Bassey changed his plea to guilty (From The Northern Echo) (http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/8681808.Airline_conman_lands_in_trouble/)

paarmo
20th Dec 2010, 12:02
Bye Victor.
Bassey jailed for two years (From The Northern Echo) (http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/8748023.Bassey_jailed_for_two_years/)

david.crosby
12th Mar 2011, 03:05
Mr Bassey what can i say. He was a dreamer. We all have had dreams to run or own an airline. If you are planning an airline you have to at least sort stuff out.

I am studying airline and airport management at uni. Im planning on creating an airline for the DTVA-London route. But I wouldnt even dream of creating a website or anything until I can come up with the goods. I have a plan already made for this airline just need cash, which we all do. Just hope I win a nice big jackpot one time soon.

Also saying a 737 on a route to london city wouldnt work anyway as im very sure London City cant handle them aircraft. I may be wrong. I Just hope an airline will set up a DTVA-London route very soon. We need the route and with the loss of the London Stansted to Newcastle route been axed. Then just maybe it could happen soon

SWBKCB
12th Mar 2011, 05:57
Dreamer? Think this quote from the article linked above is more accurate:

Detective Inspector Dave Turnbull of Cleveland Police Economic Crime Unit said Bassey moved in after the link between Teesside and Heathrow was shut by a previous operator.

"Victor Bassey is a professional fraudster and saw this as an opportunity to make some money," he said.

LTNman
18th Jun 2012, 06:23
Airline fraudster refuses to tell immigration staff where he is from - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/9336797/Airline-fraudster-refuses-to-tell-immigration-staff-where-he-is-from.html)

Convicted fraudster Victor Bassey, who was jailed for two years for setting up a fake airline, has been detained by the UK Border Agency while officials make plans to expel him.

But Bassey is causing a headache for the authorities by staying silent on his background - despite previously claiming to be Nigerian. It is also believed the 51-year-old is bidding to be released from the detention centre in the south of the country and return to the North-East where he started his phoney airline.

Despite the delay, the efforts to deport Bassey were last night welcomed by his victims who lost tens of thousands of pounds through Excelsis Aviation.

After being told the fraudster was facing deportation Jim Knight, who is owed at least £15,000 after being hired by Bassey as a public relations expert, said: "Good riddance".

He added: "He completely overturned a lot of people's lives." Vicky Wiltshire, who was hired by Bassey as his personal assistant, said: "I'll be glad to see the back of him.

"He messed with people's lives and I just hope he isn't able to do it again." Bassey was jailed for two years in December 2010 after pleading guilty to three charges of fraudulent trading, four charges of obtaining services dishonestly and a single charge of possessing articles for use in fraud.

Judge George Moorhouse told the businessman he was a compulsive liar who lived in a fantasy world.

The court heard how Bassey set up Excelsis in June 2009, promising to restore the air link between Durham Tees Valley Airport and London Heathrow.

A team of experienced airline managers was recruited, but Bassey's boasts turned out to be a flight of fancy. The court was told that Bassey used fake documents to suggest he had access to millions of dollars from US banks.

Far from being a high-flying businessman, he lived in a terrace house in Middlesbrough. Michael Janes, director of Tees Valley web design company, E-Strands Ltd, which was never paid after building the Excelsis website, confirmed the fraudster had been in-touch with the Middlesbrough church where the two men met.

Mr Janes said: "I've heard he's looking for three references and a place to stay so he can be released on bail from the detention centre.

"He's also refusing to say where he's from so the authorities don't know where to send him to - it seems he's found a loophole."

It is understood Bassey was released from prison late last year and was immediately detained by the Border Agency officers.

Last night, officials confirmed that the fraudster was being held while plans to deport him were finalised.

A spokesman said: "We will always seek to remove any foreign national convicted of a serious crime and anyone from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) who is sentenced to 12 months or more in prison is automatically considered for deportation on completion of their sentence."

jabird
18th Jun 2012, 13:27
Judge George Moorhouse told the businessman he was a compulsive liar who lived in a fantasy world.

Sounds like he should have gone to a correctional institute of the medical kind.

Am i right in thinking he has defrauded a number of people for "professional services", but not actually taken money of punters for fares, or money as a cash "investment" (Air Sylhet style)?

I'm inclined to think that people who are savvy enough to set up their own professional services companies should also spend a little bit of time checking in to their clients background.