PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Civil Jobs and training

jhurditch
6th Jul 2009, 23:53
For any Aussie Pilots out there, I have a few questions. I hold My SPL + GFPT at this stage of the game and am currently in year 12 so almost wrapped all my schooling up. As it is around the time I will be applying for Uni's/ Flying schools I was wondering what peoples ideas where on the current job climate in the civil av world and what the best track is. My options would be either getting a Aviation degree to give me an ATPL in something like 3 years or I can get my CPL and do a jet endorsement course from my current flying school in 18 months next year. I have been advised that if the climate is giving people jobs I should take the later of the options.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated?

Cheers

tmpffisch
7th Jul 2009, 01:52
What's the reasoning behind the later of the options? I'd feel that a jet endorsement is as useful as a housebrick, considering no airlines are hiring, and direct entry with little solo hours is very adventurous.

If I were you, look at aviation degree, get your ATPL, then either apply for an airline and hope like hell they'll take you with your 70 hours solo time, get an G3IR and instruct for a few years, or go up north and work in GA until you have the hours to apply direct to an airline.

That is assuming you're like the 90% of students that think that airlines is all there is in aviation and it's the be all and end all!