PDA

View Full Version : bamboo/wooden knitting needles?

visioncat
6th Jul 2009, 23:47
Hi there,

I'm flying LHR-IAH return on Continental and I was wondering if you think I might be allowed to take bamboo knitting needles on board so I can knit during the flight. There is no metal in them, they are just made of bamboo and they really aren't sharp at all. I would plan to cast on my knitting and have at least a few rows knitted already so it's obvious what they are for - i'll also have my knitting pattern and yarn with me. I can imagine that regular metal knitting needles would be frowned on, so I would have them in my checked luggage, and I'll have the wooden ones in my hand baggage. I'm pregnant and trying to get as many baby clothes finished as possible before flying (I'm still good and safe to fly and will have a letter from my doctor).

Any ideas or thoughts on how Heathrow (and Houston) security might view these as well as the cabin crew on Continental? I'd be happy to ditch the needles if they weren't happy, but would be good to know anyone's thoughts.

Thanks!

raffele
7th Jul 2009, 16:07
I think you'd have problems when you come across the overly busy-body security - simply because they are pointy. However you might be alright.

Rule of thumb - if it's not covered by the dangerous/banned items list (check your airline's website) then you should be ok.

brockenspectre
1st Sep 2009, 09:40
Tightslot - please would you explain why wooden needles/crochet hooks should not be taken on board?

I have checked the BAA websites and that of the airline I am about to fly with and knitting "paraphernalia" isn't mentioned at all in any of the banned items lists. I do find this very surprising in view of the pointed nature of metal needles in particular, so are the rules written down anywhere else that is readable by the public?

I was only planning to carry-on a very small (2.5mm gauge) bamboo crochet hook with the yarn and partly made scarf (I will pack my needles and sewing kit). If I can't crochet/knit at all in a day my fingers become quite stiff due to my parkinson's so I am quite keen to find out what may be possible to take on board. I am not an incessant knitter/crocheter but do like to do some "exercise" each day if possible.

visioncat - did you take your needles with you? what was your experience?

Thanks in advance for any further replies!

Load Toad
1st Sep 2009, 10:10
How many hours are you going to be on that 'plane?

Capot
1st Sep 2009, 10:27
Bottom line is probably that being natural fibre they may not show on the X-ray. Try it on, you have nothing to lose but your knitting needles.

You could prepare for an argument by looking up the regs, as suggested already. If they are not listed you should win, if you stand your ground.

brockenspectre
1st Sep 2009, 10:29
Load Toad - not quite sure why the duration of my flight is relevant but in any event it is scheduled to be just over 9hrs.

On the day I travel, however, I will leave home early and it will be nearly 24hrs before I get to sleep at my friends home (in a time zone some 5hrs behind the UK).

Obviously if I can't crochet on board then I will just twiddle fingers to exercise em but clearly I will look less of a mad-woman if said fingers are obviously busy rather than randomly twitching!!! :E

TckVs
1st Sep 2009, 11:49
Knitting needles were not allowed then about 5 years ago they were. I know BA use metal knives and forks. So they should be ok in the Uk unless you find "its more than my jobz worth mate..." Or your 6' 6" with tatoos ,skin head and have arms like most blokes legs.:ok:

You get my point.

brockenspectre
1st Sep 2009, 18:30
Hi all

Just to clarify.. I am not actually talking about taking needles on board.. just a small bamboo crochet hook.

Anyway.. I called BA and was advised that the crochet hook will be fine, while knitting needles would not.

I will go in the hope that my tiny crochet hook is allowed through security but if it is confiscated I will obviously comply without kicking up a fuss but I will also try and find out (a) why this information is not published anywhere (b) why my airline said it was fine to carry on :ok:

Otto Throttle
2nd Sep 2009, 10:08
The last guidance we were given on the matter of knitting needles (our airline queried the matter with DfT), is that it is purely at the discretion of the local airport security agency. Knitting needles as such, whether metal, plastic or otherwise, are not a prohibited item as far as the DfT are concerned.

Knit one, pearl one. :)

Load Toad
2nd Sep 2009, 10:57
Oh crochet me you red hot lover you!

radeng
2nd Sep 2009, 15:52
Non metallic, so could be hidden in clothing......

CBR_1
6th Sep 2009, 09:33
The reason why knitting needles (metal/plastic/bamboo) are generally a prohibited item in most countries is because after 9/11 it was deemed they could be used as a weapon. Whether you agree with this logic, is beside the point. As for anyone who suggests a passenger try and sneak any type of prohibited item on board an aircraft really should think long and hard about not necessarily knowing best. Just because you really want to take something onboard does not mean you should ignore the rules. They are there for a reason and i can assure you, it is always to protect you, the passenger. Not to mention every other passenger on board the aircraft, along with the crew who are trying to get you to your destination safely. Please for everyones' sake respect the rules, whether you agree with them or not. It really is in your best interest. :ok:

Avman
6th Sep 2009, 16:21
Totally agree CBR 1. However, if you take an item which is not on the banned list through on your person, and you get no ringing bells and flashing lights, then you have not broken any laws or rules.