PDA

View Full Version : BOAC collectibles - tin box with VC10 picture

fchan
6th Jul 2009, 22:25
In the early 1960s BOAC gave out rectangular tin boxes with sweets in to children on flights. I have an old very battered one with a VC10 pic on lid given to me on a Nairobi to London VC10, but would like to buy one in a better condition. Have tried eBay and Google several times but failed to locate one. Anyone know of where I could get one?

BYALPHAINDIA
6th Jul 2009, 23:47
Hi as a Dealer & Collector I cannot remember the last time I saw a BOAC tin, Nor any Airline tin for that matter.

Airline memorabilia is sadly 'Drying' up 'VERY QUICKLY' alot quicker than most Antiques & Collectables.

Not much on ebay really, Just postcards and more postcards.

I often wonder where it has all gone, Or have the vision of one day opening a warehouse door full of BOAC, BA, BCAL, BY, & DA collectibles!!!! Lol

When I go to a carboot I ALWAYS make a 'BEA line' for somebody who looks old & interesting!!!

(Makes a change from all the modern rubbish & the plastic people hum!!!!)

Programmes like Cash in the attic have made more and more people keep or sell their items.

Tim Wonnacott brightens the day up thou with his entertainment!!!! Lol

Good Luck In Your Search.

fchan
8th Jul 2009, 13:47
Thanks for the info. Don’t suppose you collect Bradex first aid tins do you? I have one I want to sell from 50s/60s, complete with original contents.

Blueginger500
8th Jul 2009, 18:53
Hi,
Saw your message re looking for a BOAC oblong tin. I used to fly from Heathrow to KL in the 60's and some of the flights around start of school holidays were know as lollipop specials and they used to hand out the tins filled with sweets etc.. Over a few years I gained a fair number. Sadly most perished over the years and my own kids used them as pencil cases. However I have one that has survived. It is certainly not in mint condition, but it is still complete and its lid hinges are good condition. It has a picture of a VC 10 on the lid plus a number of other aircraft as well and more round the sides. On the underside of the lid each aircraft is depicted with some basic info. The tin shows signs of age on the base and is a bit tashed around the edges.

If you are interested let me know and I will send some photos of it. Not sure what a fair price would be, but we can deal with that later if need be.

Jhieminga
9th Jul 2009, 06:23
Hello, I am unable to help with the issue here but do have another request: If fchan or Blueginger500 are able and willing to supply photos of these tins I would appreciate it if I could use them for my website: A Little VC10derness (http://www.VC10.net) (there is an e-mail link on the site).

Thanks!

fchan
9th Jul 2009, 10:48
Sorry, I scraped all of the paint off mine when I was 10 years old. Seemed a good idea at the time. The foolishness of youth! So it won’t make a very good picture! That is why I want to get another.

Jhieminga
9th Jul 2009, 10:53
I agree, that wouldn't be a very interesting picture. Perhaps Blueginger500's example is in better nick.

DILLIGAFF
9th Jul 2009, 14:18
A friend of mine bought a nice silver plated serving tray from a charity shop the other day. It has BOAC ingraved top and bottom in the old B.O.A.C. style and is quite heavy.I tried looking on the interweb to see if I could date it for him but couldn't find anything similar.
D

terrain safe
9th Jul 2009, 20:28
I've got a BEA ruler, folding penknife thing and a clothes brush still in the cardboard cover. Probably absolutely worthless but nice to keep anyway. Can't beat an old bit of memorabilia.

Seat62K
10th Jul 2009, 05:40
My prize possession of this sort is a BOAC AM pocket radio. (And I still have the box it came in!)

Argonautical
10th Jul 2009, 09:40
I am fond of my BOAC Junior Jet Club book.

cyclops16
10th Jul 2009, 10:31
I have what appears to be an undated Corgi all metal VC-10 of G-ASGH in BOAC colour scheme in a flying configuration (no undercarriage protruding or holes for any undercarrige),but has a small hole for 6 sided stand 2mm in diameter at the mid-point of the fuselage just before trailing edge of the wings.

Fuselage including tail 10mm
Wingspan 9.5mm

What could it be roughly worth??

Jhieminga
10th Jul 2009, 22:01
Cyclops16: those models were issued around 2006 as a '100 years of flight' range, they are a generic size rather than a set scale and are not very detailed. As such they aren't worth much, no collector would be very interested I think.

Perhaps in 20 years time.... ;)

Warmtoast
10th Jul 2009, 22:31
I had a plaque from a BA B-747 here:
http://www.pprune.org/aviation-history-nostalgia/363671-plaque-b-747-436-g-bnlp.html

Rather than use it as a piece of scrap in my workshop I tried eBay and eventually sold it for £27.

Max Tow
11th Jul 2009, 08:04
If you check a certain e auction website under BOAC you'll find a nice looking VC10 box up for sale...

straightfeed
12th Jul 2009, 21:20
Centre cover plate for pilots control wheel for a BOAC 707-436 removed just before scrapping-Boeing Part No. 10-60015.

Any value?:=
SFD

Albert Driver
13th Jul 2009, 10:22
Certainly worth putting it on eBay. A VC10 version fetched a good price some years ago. It was in a job lot with some instruments but I doubt they were the main attraction.

JW411
13th Jul 2009, 16:52
At the risk of being accused of thread creep, I have 20 or 30 Dinky aircraft in a cardboard box up in the attic (Ensigns, Ju-90s, Flamingo, Envoy etc etc). That is the good news.

The bad news is that I repainted a lot of them when I was a lad! Do any of you out there know anyone who could restore them to their original condition or is it simply not worth it?

fchan
27th Jul 2009, 16:33
Max Tow, I spotted it on fleabay before you mentioned it and won the bidding. Apologies to anyone here who may have bid and lost against me but all’s fair in love and bidding.

It’s the first one I have ever seen on fleabay despite regularly looking.

Private jet
28th Jul 2009, 01:33
i have a sealed pack of Rothmans cigarettes with the BOAC name & logo on it. Apparently the company had special packets produced for pax to smoke in flight! How times have changed. Can't be many of those left!

stilton
1st Aug 2009, 04:42
Used to get these in the '70's on the last leg into HKG returning for school holidays..

Wish I had kept one !

Lancasterman
2nd Aug 2009, 13:57
I have a BOAC shoulder travel bag and a Bristol Britannia china ashtray as well as some timetables etc..