PDA

View Full Version : Wg Cmdr Alan Deere's Spitfire

Samuel
5th Jul 2009, 21:54
Wg Cmdr Alan Deere's Spitfire, is alive an well and being flown on behalf of the RNZAF Historical [flight where it resides] by one Sqn Leader Sean Perrett, RNZAF, but ex-RAF Red Arrows and Harriers. His day job is instructing on Kingairs.

The aircraft was purchased by Brendon Deere, the legendary Alan Deere's nephew, and restored in New Zealand, but first flown from the RNZAF Base at Ohakea carrying the letters "AL".

There are some magnificent photo's here:

Wings Over Cambridge - Brendon Deere's Spitfire through my lens. (http://rnzaf.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=Airshows&action=display&thread=9495&page=1#1246823561)

Now be honest, when did you last see such clear air and blue sky......:cool:

Blacksheep
6th Jul 2009, 07:39
Now be honest, when did you last see such clear air and blue sky......The last time I was in New Zealand; a most beautiful land - Lucky Country for "Lucky" Al.

jindabyne
6th Jul 2009, 09:42
Hear, hear. But British Columbia can also be included!

Hempy
7th Jul 2009, 11:35
Good thread, great photos, but she was never "Al Deeres" Spitfire. Al had mentioned to Brendan that his favourite was the Mk.IX, so when PV270 came on the market he grabbed it. As an aside, PV270 was built at Castle Brom in 1944, and saw service in the Med and Italy, before being handed over to the Italian Air Force in 1947. It went to Israel in 1953, Burma in 1955 and was eventually sold to an American in 1999 before commencing Brendans restoration in 2003.

Samuel
10th Jul 2009, 03:51
I was well aware when I posted the first time that it wasn't "his" Spitfire; perhaps I should have said "representative" of his aircraft which, indeed, it is!

Hempy
10th Jul 2009, 06:41
Fair enough, the comment "Wg Cmdr Alan Deere's Spitfire, is alive an well..." seemed to suggest he had some connection with the aircraft...

Blacksheep
10th Jul 2009, 07:05
Air Commodore Alan "Lucky" Deere was our commandant at RAF Halton while I was a Brat. He and his family travelled about in a BSA Motor Bike & Sidecar. Now, its not often you'll see an Air Commodore riding a motor bike in full uniform, but it tells a lot about the chap's character.

In earning the nickname "Lucky" he got through a considerable number of Spitfires, unfortunately leaving none of them fit for restoration. ;)