PDA

View Full Version : Internet explorer 8

rogerg
5th Jul 2009, 19:51
My advice is forget it. I downloaded it and it s-----d my system. It removed IE 7 so I cant go back and it stopped all internet access. I was saved by firefox on a stick. Be careful!.

green granite
5th Jul 2009, 20:33
It removed IE 7 so I cant go back

Why not?

Download details: Windows Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=9AE91EBE-3385-447C-8A30-081805B2F90B&displaylang=en)

PappaAlphaX-ray
5th Jul 2009, 21:15
Good for you, rogerg.

Stick with Firefox. If you haven't yet, download the latest version. I was brought up with Microsucks and after much doubt, threw in the towel with I.E.7. Never been happier. :ok: Oh and by the way, my internet PC is 8 years old & no speed problems.

Best

rogerg
6th Jul 2009, 12:26
Nuther one, tried to download IE7 but the file says it is corrupt.
My Adobe flash player is still shown to be in the system but does not work (with firefox?) and I cannot load a new version as it wont allow it with firefox running and I cant switch firefox off as that is where I am getting the flash player download.
Wot fun, I blame Bill Gates.

green granite
6th Jul 2009, 13:23
It downloads ok for me using FF from: Adobe Flash Player - Downloads (http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html)

frostbite
6th Jul 2009, 14:21
I heard that you can't remove/install IE once SP3 is installed.

Don't know if that's relevant here?

rogerg
6th Jul 2009, 14:22
Just tried that but it wont download with firefox open?

Mornington Crescent
6th Jul 2009, 14:35
IE 8 will uninstall if SP3 was previously installed. This is covered on another thread. On a netbook with XP SP3 I uninstalled IE 8 and it returned to IE6. FWIW I have IE 8 on two machines both with Vista and it works very well. Loads more quickly and I like its features.

Well that should do it!

green granite
6th Jul 2009, 14:48
I think you need to look at the settings you have both in FF and IE8 and also in your firewall.

rogerg
6th Jul 2009, 15:33
I DID IT, I DID IT
All I did was follow the instructions exactly.
I transfered the file to the desktop, closed down firefox and double clicked on the Icon.
If in doubt, read the instructions. I still havnt managed IE7, but who cares.

Thanks for all your help fellows.

green granite
6th Jul 2009, 15:41
Well done, it's amazing what a bit of RTFMing does. :E

rogerg
7th Jul 2009, 14:47
A final note re all the above. I used firefox for a while and it got me out of a hole, but it didn't suit me. I suppose I have just used IE for so long.
Anyway I crossed a few things and downloaded IE8 again. This time it worked OK and seems much faster.
Also, during all the messing about I got rid of all the old restore points, via Mcafee and gain over 4GB of space. I suppose I nust have restored the computor half a dozen times in an attempt to solve the previouse problems. I have kept firefox on standby.
Hope this info helps anyone else.