PDA

View Full Version : Crash Manchester 4th July

IB4138
5th Jul 2009, 10:40
Was this another R22?

Only report was this from the MEN:

Two rescued after 'copter crash - News - Manchester Evening News (http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/1124443_two_rescued_after_copter_crash_?rss=yes)

Two rescued after 'copter crash

Mike Keegan
July 04, 2009
A HELICOPTER has crashed in Prestwich.

Two people were rescued from the aircraft after it came down on Egypt Lane, close to the M66.

Fire crews were called following reports the pair were trapped, but when they arrived they had escaped.

Neither were thought to have been injured.

Police have cordoned off the area while an investigation takes place.

Rainbuddy
5th Jul 2009, 13:02
Was an autogyro. The pilot and passenger walked away. Crash is on youtube.

nq-0lXIJFp0
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq-0lXIJFp0)

SilsoeSid
5th Jul 2009, 16:23
Strikes me that as soon as it moves off the stick was moved right onto the rear stop, surprised the tail wasn't chopped! Amazing what a crowd and short area take off towards trees produces! :ugh:

As they weren't injured, is it ok to say it made me chuckle as you could see what was going to happen as soon as the blades went back!
:ok:

chevvron
5th Jul 2009, 16:49
I think this is normal procedure in an autogyro; it presents maximum lift in direction of travel by increasing rotor rpm. With many 3-axis microlights you apply max elevator as you roll too.

west lakes
5th Jul 2009, 16:53
My son had a flight in a Gyro this afternoon.
Part of the pre-flight was that as soon as the rotor had been run up to speed by the engine, the stck would be pulled fully back to lift it into the wind to keep it rotating.
He was advised to sit well back into the seat:\

Fergus Kavanagh
5th Jul 2009, 23:05
The back of the power curve bites.

Fergus Kavanagh
6th Jul 2009, 22:33
M-way plane crash drama - News - Manchester Evening News (http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/1124474_mway_plane_crash_drama)

M-way plane crash drama

Exclusive Mike Keegan
July 05, 2009
A LIGHT aircraft crashed just yards from a busy motorway interchange.

The two-seater came down in a field near junction 18 of the M60 - close to where the ring-road meets the M66.

Witnesses said the open `gyrocopter' plummeted 30 feet just off Egypt Lane, close to Simister, Prestwich.

Fire, ambulance and police were called to scene after reports that the pilot and his passenger were trapped.

But the two men managed to free themselves. One was taken to hospital with minor back injuries and the other declined hospital treatment.

The drama unfolded in front of enthusiasts at the Bury Metro Model Flying Club at around 2.30pm on Saturday.

Surprise
Retired helicopter enthusiast Dave Wilson, 51, from Rochdale, was having lunch when the crash happened.

He said: "There were about eight of us there. The field is used for model airplanes so we were surprised to see him come and hover over us.

"I heard the pilot was taking one of his son's friends up for a ride. They were waving at everyone as they circled.

"They landed and then set off again but they went with the wind instead of into it, which is the wrong way, so they couldn't really pick up enough air speed.

"I think they were going to hit the fence so they came down."

Another witness, who did not wish to be named, said: "They didn't seem badly hurt. I think the pilot has done this a few times from what I've heard.
"I think he should try a new hobby. It's dangerous with the motorway just being across the field. Imagine if he'd hit a car."

One of the men was still at the scene when the M.E.N. arrived but refused to comment other than to confirm that nobody had been seriously hurt.

A 4 x 4 vehicle towed the stricken copter away.

traumajunkie
6th Jul 2009, 22:42
Retired helicopter enthusiast, 51, from Rochdale, was having lunch when the crash happened.So where do they hand out the 'helicopter enthusiast' jobs? :}

Arnie Madsen
7th Jul 2009, 01:40
It was an MT03 2 place gyrocopter . He was attempting a downwind takeoff which obviously did not work. One minor injury and one uninjured. They were lucky in that regard. Here is a low resolution video of the short flight.

(YouTube link deleted: it is already showing in Post #2 :ugh:

Splot)

helicopter-redeye
7th Jul 2009, 07:54
Retired helicopter enthusiast

Maybe the journo missed a comma or word. For instance "Retired xxxx and helicopter enthusiast...." makes more sense, or even "Retired, helicopter enthusiast ...."

Or maybe he does not like helicopters any more and hence has retired from being enthusiastic? Discuss.

Anyway, it 'plummetted' which is what one expects in reporting of this type

Tractor_Driver
7th Jul 2009, 09:54
As any fule kno:

aircraft can only plummet from above 1000 ft, below this it is a plunge. At least he missed the school.

TD

8th Jul 2009, 11:05
And it's 'aeroplane' not 'airplane' on this side of the pond thank you very much Manchester Evening News!

traumajunkie
8th Jul 2009, 19:21
Isn't it 'Little Nellie' in this case?

Daysleeper
15th Jul 2009, 16:24
Hey where did the video of this go? Seems to be disabled?