PDA

View Full Version : Logging hours in USA

girl with a stick
5th Jul 2009, 06:57
G'day,

I'm a CPL student, currently holding a PPL, and am planning to visit the States in September, where I'd like to do some cross country flying.

Have searched the CASA website and PPRuNe forums, and am not returning much info. So, am going to play the "techno-bimbo" card, and ask if anyone out there knows whether:

a) I can log my hours, and count them towards CPL;
b) I need a temporary licence

Any info/experience anyone out there has would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

GWAS

Warbo
5th Jul 2009, 07:07
I went to an FAA office in Fresno and got my US licence in about 15 minutes. One condition was to get a check-ride so that I understood the airspace. That was pre-September 11, so I guess it would be different now.

You can log hours flying on the moon if you get the chance.

esreverlluf
5th Jul 2009, 07:31
Like Warbo, I did some flying in the US pre Sept 11, at that stage one could get a FAA licence over the counter on the strength of an Australian licence and medical. No one will hire you an aeroplane however, until you complete a check ride of probably something like 3 hours duration for insurance reasons.

Once that is over with, the flying is great - can get RAS just about anywhere and the place is really set up for GA.

It may be a little more difficult to get the licence now security-wise, but still well worth doing. Have fun!

There is no problem with logging the hours.

glenb
5th Jul 2009, 07:48
With a valid US licence you can certainly log the hours but only towards the 200 hour CPL and not towards the 150 hour CPL. With the 150 integrated course all hours must be completed as part of the schools 150 hour syllabus.

desert goat
5th Jul 2009, 19:24
Hop on the US FAA website and search "foreign licence validation"- basically they need to get a letter from CASA confirming the validity of your oz licence before you roll up to an FAA office to get your FAA PPL. That can take a couple of weeks, I think CASA charged me 50 bucks for that letter when I did it late last year. Apart from that, it's very straightfoward. They'll give you an interim "airman certificate" to go on with until they issue your actual licence. Beyond that, you have to do a BFR with a local instructor, then your'e on your way. I did a tailwheel endorsement at Arizona Aviation in Mesa (near phoenix) and that, along with a briefing on local rules, counted for the BFR.
The post sep 11 security hassels that people worry about only affect you if you are doing initial flight training, instrument work, or a twin endorsement. If you already hold a PPL, and are just doing a BFR or a checkride and flying around solo, your not regarded as undergoing "training" as far as the TSA is concerned, which means you don't have to jump through the hoops. Some schools aren't aware of this, you may have to explain that to them.
Hope this helps-have fun!

HardCorePawn
5th Jul 2009, 22:39
I did this not so long ago... note: I am based in NZ.

Basically I filled out the Foreign License Validation form, giving appropriate details and type-ratings etc, ticked the box that says I authorise the CAA to release my details as appropriate and included photocopies of license, type-ratings and medical. You also have to nominate a particular FAA Field Office where you are going to go in and pick up your license.

The FAA requested said details from CAA, then they sent me a letter saying that it was all go and all I had to do was call the testing centre and arrange a time to go in and show all my credentials (license, medical etc) and get my license.

Unfortunately, I was unable to secure a work permit for the US (grrrr), so I never ended up going... :(

The whole process was pretty simple... although I hear places like AU and the UK make you pay to get a letter of confirmation rather than just talking direct with FAA.

Do note that while getting the license is easy, in my discussions with the local operators of where I was going to be based (hawaii), getting someone to hire you an aircraft is a little more difficult! ;)

Nothing too sinister... they just require some check flights etc... pretty standard for pretty much anywhere you go I guess.

longrass
6th Jul 2009, 05:06
I think CASA charged me 50 bucks for that letter when I did it late last year

Thats gold, so $50 for casa to confirm that the license that they gave me that has cost from SPL to CPL $650 in casa fees

What a crock of Sh*t

daviojk
6th Jul 2009, 18:33
if you are planning to goto the west coast, I would recommend Angel city Flyers, based in Long Beach in LA. I did my PPL with them (I am british), and they were really efficient in showing how to navigate the visa & FAA process. Just need to be organised prior to your departure, but relatively painless.....

They also have pretty good deals for hour building at the moment. All planes are diamonds, DA40 diamond stars & DA42 twinstars with G1000. I was there over Xmas and had no problems with planes going 'tech'. Very efficient & helpful group of people. PM me if you would like more info

Cloud Basher
7th Jul 2009, 00:19
Just got back from the States on 5 July and did a bunch of flying over there, flying all sorts of aircraft from J3 Cub to Stearman to Baron to C310. Anyway it is very easy with the slowest part of the process being the CASA part. In saying this everything worked really well.

Simple process starting three months before you want to go:
1. See FAA website as stated above and find FSDO that is going to be closest to where you are going.
2. Fill out CASA paperwork (link is on FAA website) and get CASA to release a copy of your licences to the FAA sending in money to CASA.
3. You will get back a letter from the FAA about two weeks after CASA sends you info over to them.
4. Ring FSDO and book in a time with the local foreign licence inspector dude
5. Jump on FAA website and register for an IACRA account.
6. Fly, swim, drive 4WD with big snorkel or float to the US and rock up to FSDO with the letter from FAA, your Aus licence, Aus medical, logbook/s and IACRA account details and get issued US temporary airman certificate (Private).
7. Organise check ride with local flying school or whomever you are hiring the aircraft off, purchase, steal, borrow FAR AIM and airport directory thingy (similar to our ERSA), get a local sectional and go and commit aviation.
8. About 8 weeks later your FAA credit card licence will arrive at your nominated address.

Your US PPL remains valid for as long as your Aussie licence and medical is valid.

And flying in the States was about 50-60% cheaper than Australia. The 310R I was hiring was going for AUD$280 per hour wet. C172's for AUD$100 per hour wet. I also became very good friends with some local pilots and got a fly a bunch of aircraft for free! Americans are very generous pilots. The day before I left, me and my mate jumped in his Beech Sierra and "did the panhandle" (North wester Florida) flying up and down the beaches and dropping in for the $100 hamburger at a local airport diner.

All in all it was an awesome aviation experience and one I would recommend to anyone if they can. BTW Oshkosh is coming at the end of this month. I flew in to Sun n Fun and that was an awesome experience. I did have a seat on a DC3 to go to Oshkosh in, but alas my boss wouldn't let me stay for the extra month! bastard!

And yes, all your hours are able to be logged.

Cheers
CB

Tinstaafl
7th Jul 2009, 04:43
To clarify something GlenB wrote: You can log *all* the hours no matter what, however only hours done under the CASA 150 hour Commercially Trained Person syllabus will count for a CPL issue *if* that's the syllabus you're using to get a CPL. If you're training under any other syllabus - including the 200 hour CPL - then all hours count towards licence &/or rating issue.

Of course if you're not training for anything then they're just more hours in your logbook and a nice memento of your experience to look back on in years to come. No different to doing a flight in Oz.