PDA

View Full Version : Avionics guy wants back in the game. What/Where to study?

LetMeFixIt
4th Jul 2009, 15:55
Well, this is my first time on the site and probably on the second on one of this kind so please bear with me if I mess up. :) I read a ton of posts but nothing fitting enough.

Long story short. I'm a 9+ year honorably discharged US Air Force veteran who has travelled the world as an F-16 Avionics Tech. I've been signed off on a large range of things in the fields of crew chief, weapons, back-shop and fuels to name a few.

I got out for my family 5 years ago and have been teaching English to Italians since then. I'M BORED SILLY!

My question.... What is the best license/cert to get keeping in mind I live in Europe but don't want to be forced to stay only for this. If anyone has any experience of this while using the GI Bill, I would appreciate the info.

Thanks, C

:ugh:

om15
5th Jul 2009, 11:20
If you intend to stay in Europe then you will need an EASA Part 66 B2 licence to certify avionic systems on civil aircraft.
The information can be obtained from the EASA web site, look for Part 147 (training) and Part 66 (licence) sections. In the UK the two main training organisations are City of Bristol or Kingston University, don't know of any training organisations where you are located.
The FAA A&P is still very usefull in Europe, and you may have more assistance in the US training establishments with the GI Bill.
BR om15

tuned cavity
6th Jul 2009, 21:30
If you intend to stay in Europe you should contact or look up the Jet Aviation website. They still have many vacancies in their Basel facility and are very happy to accept technicians with the A and P. Whilst there you may sit the modules to complete a Swiss EASA part 66 licence. You may also complete all exams in english. Jet is a General Dynamics company. I am unsure of pay and conditions but you may get some advice through this column.

LetMeFixIt
10th Jul 2009, 14:46
Thanks. Any other tips form you or any others is more than welcome! :ok:

Dual ground
13th Jul 2009, 00:42
I assume you have either an EU passport or permission to work EU wide? If so you could try to get on military contracts, where your F-16 experience would be an advantage. It might be the easiest way back into the industry after a 5 year hiatus. Depends on whether you are prepared to work away from home or not. I believe that at least 3 agencies, Daedalus, Lodahl and Resource, have on-going contracts on F-16s within Europe.

I realise that this does not really answer your question regards training etc. but it is something else to think about.