PDA

View Full Version : Helicopters over central London

togsdragracing
3rd Jul 2009, 19:46
Thanks for kind replies to previous two queries, here's another for you.

Is it true that helicopters flying over central London have to stay above the River Thames - or, given how twisty the river is, pretty much along its line?

If that is so I then would be interested to hear why that is. Excuse the bad taste but is it only to give the 'copter something to crash into other than streets and buildings with people in?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
3rd Jul 2009, 20:54
Single engined helicopters fly along the Thames so they avoid built up areas in the event of engine failure. Twin engined helicopters may be permitted to fly elsewhere.

ATCO Two
4th Jul 2009, 01:02
What HD said. Yes it's true, unless the helicopter operator has a Non Standard Flight authorisation to carry out a specific task, and is able to alight clear of the built up area in the event of a power unit failure. The helicopter routes follow the Thames from Barnes to the Isle of Dogs. In the event of a power unit failure, the pilot is supposed to ditch into the river. Whether he would or not is a different matter. Twin engined helicopters can follow more direct routeings depending on other conflicting traffic. Common routeings for these are via Brent, Alexandra Palace and Crystal Palace, or due South from Battersea Heliport.

togsdragracing
4th Jul 2009, 09:46
Thanks very much indeed guys.

This query was partly prompted by what appears to be a regular flight of two Chinooks over London on weekdays. They fly east to west in the morning and then west to east in the early afternoon. Does anyone know what that is about? If it's a security matter and better left unexplained then I understand.

Tercarley
5th Jul 2009, 07:45
Saw a programme about them as well when they were praCTISING FOR FLY PAST, AND THEY WERE TOLD THAT THeir OPTION If ANYTHING WeNT wRONg WaS TO PUT THE A/CRAFT INTO THE tHAMES - NOT ANY PARK NEAR THE MALL

Sorry about the caps in the previou para but hit the caps lock wthout noticing!!!!!

angels
6th Jul 2009, 10:02
Tercarley - I asked about the Chinooks a while back.

I was told where they were going, but then they shot me....:E

togsdragracing
6th Jul 2009, 21:10
I was in an office fronting the Thames opposite Millbank today and there was only one Chinook on the west-east run just after lunch. Maybe the other was in the river :)

Tercarley
6th Jul 2009, 22:36
Angels

All aircraft then except Civil airliners are supposed to use the river instead of green grass or the Mall, if they are in trouble, I believe!