PDA

View Full Version : SWINE FLU & Flight Crew / Ops / ATC ????

Robin Byfleet
3rd Jul 2009, 17:28
SWINE FLU v Pilots; ATC; cabin crew etc
I have a question regarding work status for Operational status for officers/pilots/ATC staff given the current and future situation regarding Swine Flu.

If you are taking TAMIFLU, I understand you are not fit for work, in any shape or form, but in these cases a medical certificate will be issued.

However there appears to be a shortage of TAMIFLU tablets in this country, and the preventative vaccine is not yet available until at least the end of August 2009.

Given the own government figures that 80 % of the UK population is acceptable to Swine Flu, and that the government expects large numbers of people to go down with Swine Flu in the next few months, gives the aviation industry many problems.

Let’s get one thing clear this is a very infectious virus, that is not only spread in closed (cockpit; cabin; ATC Tower or operations room) area, as the Glasgow spread of Swine Flu has shown spread is almost certainly from an open football match, means you can catch it anywhere, including sitting alone in your own back garden.

The senior government health officer was stated yesterday on the 10 O Clock News (Radio 4), and on the BBC TV News, that they want people who think they are infected to go home and take PARACETAMOL, and that only if other problems occur will then, TAMIFLU will be prescribed, this could lead to people coming into work, for fear of losing their job.

We all know that Aviation Operational staff takes Paracetamol and work, could we have some guidance in the current situation.

Think this would be important for 1st Officers and other with low cost carriers (who could easy lose their employment in the current downturn), and the problem of going sick and only taking Paracetamol and not going to the doctors, and having NO medical Certificate to prove they were ill at all!

This problem is further complicated when other members of the household they are living in, may have Swine Flu!

Currently this latter situation is very difficult, as a doctor will not issue a medical certificate for another family member, who is not sick, yet is living with someone who has Swine Flu, but has been TOLD by the doctors to stay off work. This leads to great difficulties explaining to your employer the current situation.

Offers on guidance’s or what airlines, airport authority and NATS would be welcome to clarify a difficult confusing situation, especially for some of the junior first officers?

ZeBedie
3rd Jul 2009, 17:43
Ask your line manager: I have a family member with swine flu. I've been TOLD by the doctors to stay off work. Do you want me to come to work, or not???

CabinCrewe
3rd Jul 2009, 17:43
Im sure the department of health would be very keen to hear the news that there is a shortage of antivirals ( Tamiflu is just one of the antiviral available).....? You have a source for this breaking news ?
Im not sure what all the fuss is about. In the vast majority the symptoms are no worse than the common cold of which far more people suffer on a yearly basis. Id rather get it now before it mutates....

Robin Byfleet
3rd Jul 2009, 17:50
Tamiflu is the only cure for Swine Flu in the UK.

There are already personnel who work in the aviation industry (Pilot/Ops/ATC) who have/has? Swine Flue in the UK

The Governement have stated yesterday that Tamiflu will only NOW be issued to serious cases.

The ruling now is Paracetamol in all but serious cases.

Line Manager/head of ops states, don't ask me

CabinCrewe
3rd Jul 2009, 17:55
Youve obviously never heard of Relenza. Check your facts. None of these antivirals are "cures" they just reduce viral load and thus duration and severity of symptoms. Scaremongering will never do..... :rolleyes:

Robin Byfleet
3rd Jul 2009, 18:00
That not what the doctors who have come to our house have said.

I can state Tamiflu works, very very well with one member in our household who WAS given it.

The other aviation person was not, and told to take five days off work,
does that mean he/she is a risk to the other staff in aviation industry? (not a cabain crew member) Pilots/Ops/ATC.

so, does that mean the non member in the house that was not offered tamiflu could be a carrier of the swine flu to other staff memebers in pilot/ops/ATC?
how long could he/she be a carrier of the flu? unknow information!!!!

goatface
3rd Jul 2009, 18:28
As ATCOs (and I assume pilots) we have a responsibility to ourselves to know that we are or are not fit for duty, this is either via your own GP or self assessment.
If you feel like crap or suspect that you're not going to be able to make the full shift then you don't go in.
There are CAA guidelines as to which medication you can take and work and those which you can't.
You either then self certify or if you really need a sick note, you get one or you don't and you go to work.

Standard Noise
3rd Jul 2009, 18:31
Tamiflu works to reduce severity of the symptoms of flu. For some it'll work better than for others but that's down to many different factors. It's not even a specific Swine Flu drug, there isn't one............yet, and by the time there is one (if it comes) we'll be on to the next flu virus.
Llama flu anyone?

Chuck Y
5th Jul 2009, 21:58
Firstly, sorry if this thread is in the wrong place but I wasn't sure where to post it.

I was wondering how many of our employers are serious about protecting us from swine flu, especially since the UK goverment have now accepted that it is not feasible to contain it & there are forecasting around 100,000 infections per day towards the end of August. So it seems inevitable that we will contract it. Although, for a healthy adult it is not so serious but for those of us with kids under 5 years old things suddenly start looking a little frightening. I have a baby & it scares me to death that I may bring it home since Tamiflu has not been tested on children under 1 year old. So what are your airlines doing for you?

Here's a few links that you may find interesting.

CDC H1N1 Flu | Interim Guidance for Airlines Regarding Flight Crews Arriving from Domestic and International Areas Affected by Swine Influenza (http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/guidance/air-crew-dom-intl.htm)

WHO | Pandemic (H1N1) 2009 - update 57 (http://www.who.int/csr/don/2009_07_03/en/index.html)

Who Is Protecting Flight Attendants and Travel Industry Workers Against Swine Flu? (http://www.findingdulcinea.com/news/health/2009/april/Who-Is-Protecting-Flight-Attendants-and-Travel-Industry-Workers-Against-Swine-Flu-.html)

Swine flu alert from the NHS (http://www.nhs.uk/AlertsEmergencies/Pages/Pandemicflualert.aspx)

White Knight
5th Jul 2009, 22:19
It's flu - a few people die from flu every year.. How about the millions that die from malaria. No-one seems to worry about that too much:ugh: Or road kill!!

compressor stall
5th Jul 2009, 22:27
It's a normal, if not milder, flu.

Me, my wife, 2.5 years old and 8 month old have just all had it. All fine - particularly the kids. Infact they recovered the fastest!

The risk to life is to those who are otherwise ill. They would have the same or higher risk during the normal flu season.

Pedro
5th Jul 2009, 22:37
I do not share the views of the previous contributors - I agree with the first posting; we should be most concerned and at the very least take basic precautions such as alcohol wipes for the controls and headsets. These should be provided by the company who will certainly pull a finger out in this respect when half their crews are off sick and aircraft are grounded. I know we tend to be viewed as technical adjuncts to the aircraft, but unlike apu's we are living creatures and can succumb to virulent diseases.

Old 'Un
5th Jul 2009, 23:01
We had the local Medical Officer of Health visit us last week and fill us in on the lastest.

It seems that flu A(H1N1) affects all ages, but with a noticebly lower infection rate for the over-50's. Mortality rate is a fair bit lower than your average winter flu, but the infection rate is a lot highter. Most winter flus affect about 1 in 10, but swine flu seems to be heading towards affecting 1 in 3, and it's highly contageous.

Incubation period is 24 - 48 hours before serious symptoms appear.

A concern is that the strain appears to be becoming Tamiflu-resistant.

Those who contract the virus and who already have medical problems including (but not only) heart conditions and respiratory problems are the most suseptible to complications which may lead to death.

Watch out for the second wave which is normally about 6 - 8 weeks after the initial wave (now). The infection rates can be even more pronounced. However, unless the virus mutates substantially, you cannot get it twice.

MOoH's advice overall was:

1 Take precautions to avoid contact with anyone infected and maintain a high degree of personal hygene (regular and proper handwashing, care to avoid people coughing on you, avoid touching your eyes or mouth, etc.). Avoid shaking hands if you can - try adopting the Oriental head-nod.

2 Stay at home, even if you're feeling only slightly off colour. If your condition turns out NOT to be flu, no harm done; if you have it, you'll avoid passing it on to others.

3 PHONE you doc if you think you have it or need advice or treatment. You'll likely be referred to an Assessment Centre, rather than being asked to visit the surgery and infect everybody else in the waiting room.

4 If Tamiflu is not available or prescribed, treat as you would any other flu - lots of fluids (non- alcoholic!), paracetamol/ibuprofen as directed, bed rest.

Stay safe, folks, as best as you can.

Le Vieux

boredcounter
5th Jul 2009, 23:58
A very good idea. As you feel so strongly about your work environment, may I ask if you carry alcohol wipes and use them before entering a supermarket, corner shop, school with the kids, cinema, bookies, or any other public place?

My workplace is now littered with Alcohol hand wash, like many I prefer to use my basic hygiene patern that has kept me well for 41 years.

Bored

cap360
6th Jul 2009, 22:09
An First Officer has been confirmed with swine flu, the knock on effect has just started to hit the fan as Captain's and F/O's are being told to stay away!
I hope it passes without trouble for those effected.

turbowhat
6th Jul 2009, 22:14
Won't be the last either, a lot of airlines are going to be dealing with it for a while, I feel a lot of lost standbys in the near future :\

Avman
7th Jul 2009, 07:01
How long does it take for symptoms to develop? I'm thinking of the F/D crew of a 10 hour sector.

gingernut
7th Jul 2009, 08:09
It's highly likely that many more will be diagnosed.

We are no longer using laboratory tests to confirm diagnosis, so in effect, anyone with a fever and symptoms of a flu like illness will be diagnosed as swine flu. More info here... HPA - Human Swine Influenza: information for health professionals (http://www.hpa.org.uk/servlet/Satellite?c=Page&childpagename=HPAweb%2FPage%2FHPAwebAutoListName&cid=1240812234677&p=1240812234677&pagename=HPAwebWrapper)

To keep things in perspective, it's highly likely you'll make a full uneventful recovery.

If you do get symptoms STAY AT HOME and ring for advice.

Airbourne-Adamski
7th Jul 2009, 10:33
Where did this info come from? and what are the details?
As an employee I have not heard or recieved any informtion on this, Should EZY crew be notified of this?

AltFlaps
7th Jul 2009, 11:57
People, for BEEBS-sake ...

This is just flu - from lots of reports, the 'normal winter' flu we get each year is far worse.

As a fit and healthy pilot, you are not being exposed to any more risk than normal illnesses

It is inevitable that every professional will come into contact with swine flu at some point

Robin Byfleet
8th Jul 2009, 11:49
Having started this thread, I thought it could be of interest to know our case.

Symptoms may be different if each case, but at least it will give you the heads up on some of the symptoms’ to look out for!

Symptoms were first gentle (the son of a bitch creeps up on you), you begin to feel strange, but not cold or flu like symptoms. Concentration is affected, and very very slowly becomes more difficult as time progress.

Early symptoms in our cases included going to the toilet a lot especially at night.

Shed loads of botty coughs (passing wind), a lot lot more than normal. Watery eyes. Around this time you feel sick, and therefore it’s difficult to eat food without bringing it back-up or wanting to bring it back-up.

Around this time our heads started to feel heavy and hot, not the same feeling as a normal cold or severe headache, then all body limbs start aching, especially legs and arms. Only then in our cases did you then start to sweat all over (which was well into the time when you knew something was very wrong with our bodies).

One of us (older one) spent over twelve days in bed, with NO solid food, only water, very heavy head (cold wet flannel to keep head cool), sleeping 18-20 hours a day!

The younger one slept more than normal but was only about 12 – 14 per day, with more coughing more than the older one.

Tamiflu was given after test results confirmed the case to be human swine influenza H1N1.

Given the choice, we both agree that we would have rather been at work, than having Swine Flu!

Pace
17th Jul 2009, 12:08
There is a lot in the media at present re swine flu. 12% of the population will have it by sept, 65000 will die of the flu over the winter are just some of the media claims.

What is the reality? is it just a flu like any other that we accept without blinking an eye or is it far worse?

How many die of flu every winter? ie is it estimated to kill more people than normal known flus do.

Or is this all just press sensationilisation?

Extract below

Chief Medical Officer for England, Sir Liam Donaldson, said figures being used by the NHS to plan its services show that a 30 per cent infection rate among the population could possibly lead to 65,000 deaths.
However, he said 19,000 could occur as estimates vary depending on the numbers who end up infected.
Sir Liam said a National Pandemic Flu Service for England should be up and running towards the end of next week.
The telephone and internet-based service will enable people to get a diagnosis and obtain a unique reference number which gives them access to Tamiflu.
A "flu friend" can then use the number to obtain the antiviral from a depot around the country and take it to the patient.
Sir Liam said the aim of the new flu service was to alleviate pressure on hospitals and GP services, enabling them to look after the "most seriously ill".
Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales have not yet implemented similar services but could do so in future if pressure on their health services continues to rise.
NHS South East Coast said it is investigating a case but could not confirm whether it was that of an apparently healthy six-year-old boy, who according to some reports died on Wednesday after contracting the virus.
The Health Protection Agency (HPA) estimates there were 55,000 new cases of swine flu in England in the last week, including people visiting GPs and those who are looking after themselves at home.
Up to 85,000 people could be currently affected, the HPA modelling shows.
The numbers being treated in English hospitals have doubled in one week to 652, of which 53 are in intensive care.
The highest number of hospitalisations (354) are among those aged 16 to 64, followed by under fives (134) and those aged five to 15 (84).
Cherie Blair, the wife of former prime minister Tony Blair, has pulled out of a series of public engagements while she battles the virus.
Sir Liam said there was now "exceptional influenza activity" across most of the country except Yorkshire and the Humber.
The first deliveries of vaccines in August would not be enough to cover everybody in the high risk groups, Sir Liam said but he added that everybody in these groups would be able to get a vaccine as the UK moved deeper into winter.
Thanks

Pace