PDA

View Full Version : marshallers

brs planespotter
3rd Jul 2009, 14:19
is there a legal requirement for a a/c too be parked by a marscheller?i saw a "rampy" today use his hands as there were no marshallers around!he got the a/c bang on the block!does this frustrate you pilots when that happens?thanks:ok:

Evanelpus
3rd Jul 2009, 14:34
What frustrates me is poor spelling, poor grammar and someone trying to be 'clever' by abbreviating, i.e. Rampy.

God help us all.

brs planespotter
3rd Jul 2009, 14:39
with respect we are commonly known as "rampys!

Evanelpus
3rd Jul 2009, 15:01
If you are indeed a rampy, then you should know whether you are legally entitled to put the aircraft on stand/blocks.

I suspect this is a spotters question.

keeprighton1974
3rd Jul 2009, 20:47
He's asking a casual question on an internet forum, not writing a letter to The Times...

What has a make-believe character called God got to do with things?

Jofm5
3rd Jul 2009, 23:12
I suspect this is a spotters question.

In a spotters forum indeed - your real name is not sherlock is it ?

simonchowder
4th Jul 2009, 08:12
It is im afraid brs its half wits like you that have led to spotters/enthusiaists on this site to be viewed as imbeciles by many of the aviation pros

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
4th Jul 2009, 08:20
simonchowder.. Just read your posting again, carefully - spelling? punctuation? I looked at your profile and was astonished as you, too, come over as an illiterate!

simonchowder
4th Jul 2009, 08:28
LOL, if your going to pick folks up matey id make sure i was bulletproof ,re-read your post and amend as reqd , i havent a problem with any ones spelling or grammer, its the nature of the questions i have issues with

rog747
4th Jul 2009, 08:32
girls girls, now then

chiglet
4th Jul 2009, 14:42
carefully;spelling?
Punctuation corrected. Now re-read your post.:ok:

smudgethecat
4th Jul 2009, 15:56
I think the normal term brs for someone who works on the ramp as a ground handler etc is not a rampy but a ramp- tramp

brs planespotter
4th Jul 2009, 16:10
ok,ok.i was only asking a question!i mean i get a message too put a question on and with the greatest respect i dont expect it too be rammed down my throat.i am not a imbecile,which i resent.if the term "rampy"was wrong heaven forbid!i work 4 on 4 off and usually i am in the fast lane of a mway trainig high speed driving for paramadics!sorry guys,rant over

smudgethecat
4th Jul 2009, 17:01
I thought you said you were a "rampy", or is that on your four days off from high speed driver training

brs planespotter
4th Jul 2009, 17:18
yes,you are spot on,like many have a 2nd job,rgds

simonchowder
4th Jul 2009, 17:32
I think that if brs was posting on the military section we would have had a "walt alert" by now :suspect:

brs planespotter
4th Jul 2009, 18:11
what is "walt"please

11Fan
4th Jul 2009, 18:39
Amazing thing I have witnessed. brs planespotter gets a dressing down on this thread, yet on another, Rainboe gives him a civil and polite response to his question.

Has the earth shifted on its axis?

11Fan
4th Jul 2009, 18:41
Oops, silly me. Forgot.

Walt.

Whoops! Browser Settings Incompatible (http://my.telegraph.co.uk/advance_britannia/blog/2007/06/30/an_imposter_exposed_the_outing_of_a_walt)

Edit: Funny thing this link above. It works (for me) but it has this strange title.

draughtsman99
4th Jul 2009, 20:39
There was me thinking a Walt was someone who, like Walt Disney, was good at telling fairy stories!!
The ramp tramp who started this thread, and continued it, with his lack of capitals, punctuation and paragraphs (we all make spelling mistakes) shows a total lack of respect for his intended audience.
If you want people to read, understand and reply to your posts then please make them readable by using the conventions detailed above. If you do not care whether it is read, understood and replied to then why bother to post.

How ones day job of teaching paramedics to drive fast relates to this thread I do not know!

Sprogget
4th Jul 2009, 20:46
http://i39.tinypic.com/ine9f4.jpg

I get to post his up twice in a week! I love hitting up the new posts button.

Goldilocks95
5th Jul 2009, 00:28
you know what, im not a rampy and im actually interested in what the answer to the question because I work in the terminal so I don't know. So does anyone have an answer or are you all too busy moaning about peoples punctuation and grammer?

I don't mean to be rude so I apoligize if i sound it but I just would like the answer to the question asked!

Thank you.

smudgethecat
5th Jul 2009, 09:42
i would thought it would be fairly obvious even to brs, if a aircraft requires marshalling then that has to be done by someone trained and deemed competent to carry out that task ,in exactly the same way as if for example the a/c requires towing that has to be done by a trained/approved tug driver.
Im sure there wil be a CAP on the matter somewhere

paddingtonbear319
5th Jul 2009, 11:04
In answer to the original question , no it doesn't irritate us but the gnd handlers are generally not qualified (elf and safety wise) to guide us on so its a braver man than me that would follow his guidance.

Normally we use the electronic guidance, which can only be turned on by a dispatcher if the stnd is clear. If this is u/s or for someother reason then atc will send out a marshaller with his ping pong bats.

However it does irritate me when I arrive on stand and its deserted so I can't park...

Hope that helps

PB

42psi
5th Jul 2009, 11:11
Smudge is indeed correct.

I'm sure there are many helpfull folk awaiting an aircraft arrival onto stand who might be tempted to assist .... and do, as I've seen it happen.

If it's simply a case of stopping on the correct mark they may well quite easily manage to achieve that.

But they do possibly put themselves and others at some risk in the event something goes wrong.

I've seen a very near (inches) wingtip to catering truck incident as the Capt. accepted a "wings clear" signal given by the truck driver (who had seen these given before and copied).

Unfortunately the truck driver had no idea of an MD80 wingspan (he was signalling as the a/c started it's turn onto stand from the taxiway) ..... until the point he started to run ..... by which time the cockpit focus was now on the papa board and the wing tip was obscured by the airbridge.

If anyone is tempted to assist I'd suggest the best signal to use is the "stop" one. (Edited to add that by that I mean stop it where it is and await a marshaller ...)

While tempting to be apparently helpfull the consequences of getting it wrong might well ruin your day.

The a/c might be struggling to find the line/stop mark as the stand guidence was deliberately switched off ..... that is often done because something is not right ..... airbridge not in usual position due maintenence/breakdown or a myriad of other reasons. Many of which mean there is some danger of a/c damage and may require stopping short of the normal mark for safety.

It would be very sad to see someone trying to help being pilloried when they help the a/c onto the right mark only to look up afterwards and see the engine stuck in the airbridge.

simonchowder
8th Jul 2009, 13:41
Thankfully for the motoring public any high speed driver training in the "fast lane" brs does is im sure only taking place inside his head

leewan
9th Jul 2009, 12:23
Marshalling is a actually a simple task but a very important job. An improperly marshalled a/c can hit onto anything on the ramp causing damage.
For me, marshalling handsignals are the simple part.
Identifying the correct a/c type and stopping it on its respective line is the most important thing. Some airlines will just simply change their a/c type without notice and if you do not notice it and marshall it onto the wrong line, good luck to you then.:eek: