PDA

View Full Version : Why does a pilots licence sound like such a scam?

phrosyn
3rd Jul 2009, 06:03
Ive been looking at getting my CPL for a while, ive seen the school, met the instructors just now looking for part time work to pay my way through. But there has always been one thing bugging me... sounds like a scam. Not sure if anyone else has noticed this but it seems every school i visited really seemed like they were trying to sell me more into being a pilot than the schools themselves. Also the fact that what happens after the licence is never really clear. and just the general way everything seems to be marketed. Can anyone tell me to shut up and just get it done? or better yet explain why it sounds so dodgy?

Superpilot
3rd Jul 2009, 06:57
You're a clever boy that's why you've come to this conclusion in the first place. I guess you really know the answer you just want it confirming.

By focussing on selling you the dream, most flight schools hope you will skip over the finer detail of the course (cost, content, availability, fleet etc). It's a tactic that has been working for many years.

Vito Corleone
3rd Jul 2009, 16:49
You are avery lucky boy to have figured this all out before doing your cpl. Avoid aviaton at all costs. You will get conned.

ReverseFlight
3rd Jul 2009, 16:49
I think the real problem is not spotting the pitfalls but being blinded so much by the love of flying that many launch themselves forward knowing full well the possible consequences i.e. a potential dream, not an actual lifetime career. It's not unlike jumping into marriage ! :\

B2N2
3rd Jul 2009, 18:40
Without being sarcastic, it really helps if you ask the right questions.
Sure I'm trying to sell training at the school I work for.
That is my job. My job is not to lie and cheat.
If you come prepared with realistic expectations and some serious questions you should get the information you are looking for and not the Aviation-is-the greatest-thing-since-sliced-bread song and dance.

dji8879
3rd Jul 2009, 20:31
I'm glad someone came to the same conclusion as mysely. I am currently a B2 Licenced Helicopter Engineer and would love to make the transition to Pilot. The only thing that concerns (apart from the financial implications) me is the job prospects at the end of course. Yes the market is in decline. All is evident from being a Pilot to being an Engineer but I have thankfully never been out of work in my 13 years.

Realistically, are there better ways or schools to use that will give you an advantage? i.e. Oxford seen to have a good reputation, or is it just down to blind perserverance?

I suppose I am advataged in the way as if was to start that I would have something to fall back on but that doesn't alleviate the fears of self funding an £80,000 course.

Just my concerns and ailments, any comments would be useful prior to my making the big jump.

Thanks

adverse-bump
3rd Jul 2009, 22:19
Oxford seen to have a good reputation, or is it just down to blind perserverance?

I suppose I am advataged in the way as if was to start that I would have something to fall back on but that doesn't alleviate the fears of self funding an £80,000 course.

You'll find most of the oxford 'aviation gods' end up getting jobs at ryan air :} so i'd add an extra 30k to your budget!!

You have just as much chance getting a job doing it the proper way! and it will cost half as much!

1800ed
3rd Jul 2009, 22:46
This is the thing I've noticed too. Even the schools which seem genuine and not trying to grab your cash seemed to be faking it. But for some reason I still want to be a pilot :ugh:

Bealzebub
3rd Jul 2009, 22:57
If you go to a flight training school for the purpose of obtaining the requisite training that leads to the aquisition of a commercial pilots licence, why would you be surprised that the schools were selling you into the idea of being a pilot? What else are you going there for? The schools are commercial enterprises and naturally want your business. It would only be a scam if they failed to provide you with the training you had paid for.

A licence is just a licence. It leaves you with a piece of paper that grants you certain priviliges and nothing or little more than minimal experience. The misconception that many people have is that there is a whole world of glamorous employment opportunities just waiting for them to complete that training. There isn't! It is just one low rung on a very long and expensive ladder.

Many people have been successful climbing that ladder and a very few have been in the fortunate position of being winched to the top. For the vast majority it involves a lot of time, effort and little reward. There is also a significant attrition rate in that many give up or are forced to give up. It is like any other pyramid with a very wide base and a very small apex. The perceived glamorous jobs are much closer to the apex than they are to the base. The licence you have acquired places you firmly at a highly populated base.

How you find your way to the desired level is not the flying schools job or their concern. If you need to progress higher they will undoubtably be able to sell you facilitatory tools, but they will not in themselves guarantee you much. Nevertheless these schools can sell you the basics and it is the basics you will need before you can even hope to progress any higher.

As a potential customer it is you who needs to properly asess the risk. You need the product they are selling in order to be a player. As a player you are embarking on a reasonably high risk pursuit. The degree of risk varies as does the economy, but it is always significant. The schools are businesses and will always gloss the product. Prestige car manufacturers will also sell you a 90k product without any qualms as to the advisability of your decision to purchase that product. They are happy to suggest that their 90k product will bring you success and happiness. If it doesn't that is your problem! The only difference is that their product may at least have a residual value. Flight training doesn't which makes it a harder sell, unless the purchaser can convince themselves that they need this product.

There are no guarantees. It is very unlikely that you will complete this training and find the sort of job you expect, or indeed any job. You might be very lucky, but you should prepare yourself properly by assuming that you will need a lot of additional personal investment in both time and money to stand any realistic chance. To answer your question, usually nothing happens after you obtain the licence. You realise that you have joined a very big crowd of people wondering what to do next.

Adios
3rd Jul 2009, 23:18
If the sales person pulls that kind of tactic on you why not say, "I am here because I want to become a pilot, so don't waste my time trying to convince me to do what I have already decided to do and tell me what's on offer at this school."

Rapha_BA
4th Jul 2009, 23:33
Spot on,great analysis:ok: