PDA

View Full Version : Milk Alternatives

Flaite
2nd Jul 2009, 22:08
Im moving to Dubai next month for a 777 course and I would really appreciate if someone could help me with some information: My son was born with Cow's milk allergy and I would like to know what are the available milk alternatives that you can buy in Dubai so we can make the transition more easily. Any help would be really appreciated. :confused:

OMDB-PiLoT
2nd Jul 2009, 22:16
You are moving to Dubai and not some village in Africa! There are a lot of alternatives available at local super markets. If your son likes, he can even try camel milk! :yuk:

Don't worry, there are many brands of powder and cream milk available. I just hope your son can cope up with summer. ;)

pdoffed
2nd Jul 2009, 22:17
you can buy rice and soya milk various of brands in most supermarkets, also camel milk.

Severely Jetlagged
3rd Jul 2009, 02:59
Goats milk also readily available

Flaite
3rd Jul 2009, 03:03
I know its not a village in Africa, but there arent many choices for
Hydrolyzed milks like Nutrilon Pepti-junior, Nutramigen-Lipil or Neocate. Most cant be found in super markets and must be purchased in a farmacie or other special retail store.
I also forgot to mention that he cant drink soy.

pia pium
3rd Jul 2009, 05:52
Personally I don't know about those products as I have never had to search. Dubai imports all its items from all around the world and having been in Dubai for many years I would be greatly surprised if you could not find it here.

My suggestion initially would be to send a large batch over with your personal items (if it's in powdered form) and you get 500kg free cargo allowance a year, so if needs be, you can (free from freight costs) fly a batch into Dubai.

Remember also that you are a pilot and will be overseas most of your trips. You can always load up your suitcase each time you go to a real country. Good luck and I am sure this will be a minor issue for you when you get here.

By the way, you are coming when it's Ramadam and the height of the summer. The first 3 months for you will be a real trial, do not judge your decision about the place until December when you will have passed the worst time here for temperature, cultural and settling in hassles from the company and beaurocracy from local issues.

greenslopes
3rd Jul 2009, 06:18
G'day Flaite,

I don't know how severe your sons milk allergy is, however in our case our eldest also had a cows milk intolerance. We tried goats,soy,rice and many other alternatives. Finally a friend who's son also was intolerant to cows milk suggested we try bog standard UHT Milk and bingo.....no more probs. Stores for ages and available everywhere.

Hope this helps.(P.S yes I also loathe being told what other parents do , feel free to ignore).

Jet II
3rd Jul 2009, 07:20
I know its not a village in Africa, but there arent many choices for
Hydrolyzed milks like Nutrilon Pepti-junior, Nutramigen-Lipil or Neocate. Most cant be found in super markets and must be purchased in a farmacie or other special retail store.

Neocate and alternative brands are available in pharmacies here.

QCM
3rd Jul 2009, 14:07
Sorry to be out of subject,although I wish you good luck for your son allergy:ok:...but the recruitments have resumed here?? EK...EY...???:rolleyes:

QCM
11th Jul 2009, 05:08
:zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz:

knifedge
11th Jul 2009, 10:25
Also consider that You will be travelling to Europe very often, no problems there I presume.