PDA

View Full Version : Jetstar DEC

king320
2nd Jul 2009, 21:17
Hello all,

I was called at home by Jetstar in Jan last year (2008) asking me if i was interested in working for the company as a Captain on the A320.
Since I am an Australian Citizen with an Australian CASA A320 Endorsed Licence; I agreed to attend an interview in Melbourne in March 2008.

I passed the interview and J*sent me a Contract and papers to sign and return and offered me to start in Sept 08 as a first officer A320 with upgrade to captain after a successful left hand seat Check.
One fine day in the end May 2008 I received an e-mail from pilot recruitment stating that my start date has been postponed.
I called pliot recruitment and was told that most likely I was supposed to then start at the end of 2008.

Nothing has happened yet since and I have been waiting for a year for an answer in writing from J* Pilot recruitment but they will not commit.
I feel that I have been given the run around.

My position is very frustrating bec I feel completely in limbo about my future.
It seems that J* WERE very desperate for CAPTAINS when they called me and were even hiring South African Nationals and arranging for Visas.
It seems that they do not want any more Capts and do not want to honour the contract they signed and sent to me.

What kind of people am I dealing with ?

Is there anybody out there who is in the same situation as I am ?????

dragon man
2nd Jul 2009, 22:30
Assuming the contract has been properly signed by Jetstar id refer it to a lawyer and if he says they have breached it commence legal action. They are pr..s.

Skybus_319
2nd Jul 2009, 22:46
Isn't a shortage of F/Os their problem now?

They have just at least 5 new deliveries within the 2 or so months, so they would have needed quite a new influx of crew there.

Muff Hunter
2nd Jul 2009, 23:36
king320,

your only chance now of a dec is jetstar nz i'm afraid on pathetic t&c's

if you want an oz spot you'll have to move to darwin as an f/o and get in the que like everyone else for a command.

jq will not be taking anymore dec's as they are well overstocked with cpt's and plenty of f/o's with more than min req's for command.

blacksmoke
2nd Jul 2009, 23:54
I have a copy of the latest nz deal on offer, and although its not great, its certainly better than pacblue or jitconnects, although still a fair way behind airnz. If your current on the minibus, you will also get a 15 grand sign on bonus as well. Not great, but gets you back in the southern hemishere. I know of a few guys who have taken it for that reason. I have heard the aust side of jetstar is now only open for f/o's, and as muffhunter says, you will have to go to darwin etc, and it could take a while to slip back into the leftseat.

Muff Hunter
3rd Jul 2009, 01:30
i should also add that time to command at JQ would be at least 6-8 years now.

Mstr Caution
3rd Jul 2009, 02:54
What seniority number would the QF MOU allow a mainliner to come accross under? Would that give him/her a A330 Command? How many "preserved" seniority positions are there?

Keith Myath
3rd Jul 2009, 03:33
Mid 200's, yes, 7 in 20.

king320
3rd Jul 2009, 04:20
thanks for replies.
they offered me j* new zealand but on nz terms.

never been to nz.
will take legal action;
j* will have to sort out my prob with the unions.

Thanks all

Nunc
3rd Jul 2009, 12:04
You probably need a Union mate.

Lookleft
3rd Jul 2009, 23:36
So King are you after compensation or do you want to take legal action to get a position with J*? If you are after a position then you will end up being offered Darwin. If you start out being angry with the way you are being treated it is not going to get any better if you take the job.

king320
5th Jul 2009, 09:36
thanks lookleft for your advice.

I do not want compensation; I want the job they offered me because I want to settle down with my family in Australia; which is the country of my birth and which I beleive is the best country to live in the World.

I have actually contacted J* managment and I beleive the reason they are refusing to induct me is because of the fear of a union problem regarding their acceptance of employing me as a captain presently.

I do understand their position but do not agree with them ;
the reason is because they should have forseen this in the first place when they wrote to me telling me that my start date had been posponed from Sept 08 to Dec 08.
I even offered them to employ me and send me on unpaid leave if necessary to avert this future problem but they refused.

I also recently ( last week) called the Manager Pilot Recruitment at J* and funnily enough he had just sent in his resignation from his post.

Seems that J* have really f......d up regarding this issue since there are also another 12 pilots in my same situation who were given contracts and then dumped.

If I need to be based in Darwin; I will accept; but as a Captain as agreed in my contract.
J* Managment should be gentlemen enough to present my case to the unions and sort this mess out.!

I am an Australian Citizen and feel pertubed that foreign pilots were given visas to work in Australia for J* and I have been left out because of an internal messup.

Regards

Muff Hunter
6th Jul 2009, 00:30
king320,

i'd check that contract throughly if i were you. did you not say they will employ you as an fo!, also refer to the section pertaining to being checked in the left seat (if they never put you there how can you be checked?)

eventhough you think you were promised a dec, do yout feel it's fair that now jq are overstocked with cpts that you jump all the fo's on the seniority list for a command (some have close to 5 years in the company)

mate, i hate to say it, feel free to join, but wait your turn like everyone else for a command.

pigdriver
6th Jul 2009, 01:01
There are plenty of experienced ex-captains who have had to do just that. They are f/o's at the moment waiting their turn to upgrade again. I know of a B777, B767 and a few other bus driver capts who are all back in the rightseat at the moment, so I dont like your chances of a direct entry cmd at the moment.

fourgolds
6th Jul 2009, 05:58
King 320 . sorry you feel purturbed about non ozzie citizens taking your job . Does your post originate in Europe by any chance ?

Hugh Jarse
6th Jul 2009, 09:42
I have actually contacted J* managment and I beleive the reason they are refusing to induct me is because of the fear of a union problem regarding their acceptance of employing me as a captain presently.
King, I didn't know there was any problem hiring DEC's at JQ. I remember processing over 20 DEC candidates back in 04/05.

Perhaps a seniority clause has been added to the JQ certified agreement since then.

If not, you've got nothing to worry about on that front.

However, I know of a few guys that have been spivved by JQ after initially being accepted. Anecdotal evidence is that they were given the position before all reference checks had been completed. Each received a dud reference from their current employer. Consequently, JQ used lame excuses, such as getting the candidates to resit parts of the process that "weren't quite right", and then subsequently 'failing' them on the resit. Typically the flight planning exercise.

Hope you're not suffering similar symptoms, King.

fourgolds
6th Jul 2009, 10:57
King 320. You feel it unfair that J* previously interviewed non Ozzie Nationals , yet in the same breath think its unfair that they have not offered you a DE Command ( I will bet you a case of VB that when they interviewed non ozzie nationals for F/O positions a few years ago that you were only interested in the left seat , and were not interested in the package / right seat at the time)

Tiger are also recruiting , a chance to go home. But you may have to accept lower wages and the right seat / or maybe not.

On the issue of offering you a contract however and then withdrawing it , I do feel for you and wish you luck with your venture.