PDA

View Full Version : Sa Designated Examiners

Vuvuzela
2nd Jul 2009, 14:32
Hi all!

Does anyone on this good green Earth know where I can find a SA Designated examiner to do my SA CPL MULTI IR renewal in the UK???

Carrier
2nd Jul 2009, 14:48
If you had tried the SA CAA's website you would have found the list of examiners. CAA Website (http://www.caa.co.za) Click on Licensing & Examinations, then click on Designated Examiners, then click the link for the list. If none are resident in the UK then you will have to make a deal with one of them to come to the UK for your test. Their travel cost will probably be at your expense unless they are already going to be in the UK for other purposes.

Der absolute Hammer
2nd Jul 2009, 15:20
It is so easy just to hop on a flight from London or Munich and go down and do a practice-if you want one-and then the test. You could do medical at same time and get your licence all sorted at CAA. The cost of the ticket would be made up by the differnece iun the twin(or single) aircraft price for hire. You could do it in two days.

alpha-b
3rd Jul 2009, 09:31
Buddy if i remember correctly 1 of the requirements to be an SA DESIGNATED EXAMINER it's to be a resident in south africa,if however u need ur checkride done in the UK u need to agree with any DE and surely support his travel,hotel,food and other fees

Whenwe
3rd Jul 2009, 10:23
Look at the list and see if you cannot organize something with one of SAA's pilots nightstopping in London. They used to have a number of pilots who are DE's.
Might still have.

Vuvuzela
3rd Jul 2009, 21:20
thanks a lot guys that should do the trick!

Der absolute Hammer
4th Jul 2009, 05:08
How can you stick an ICAO ATPL into a JAA aircraft, slap the screens up or put a hood on, fly a test and satisfu either safety standard or insurance requirements. Would any SA/DE risk it for a fast buck. If money changes hands then it becomes a commmercial flight and so a PPL for a ATPL swop will not cover insurance. So also-Safety Pilot etc.
I had this exact same problem for many years while fliying on JAA licence in Europe.
Used to arrive JHB in morning. Straight to medical, quick brush up-especially light twin -flying then test next morning at 06.00 (nice and smooth) straight to CAA for licence, then boozy lunch with friends and catch last flight out at 21.20 (ish.BA) arrive LHR next morning - Monday night depart to Thursday morning return-car hire for two days and air ticket. Much the easiest and cheapest way to do it. Also, if things go wrong, aircraft tech etc-easy to make an extra day stay.

porridge
5th Jul 2009, 18:11
Vuvuzela
I recently did my IR/CPL renewal with Laurie Kay at Cranfield (EGTC). No problem as I was PIC and have a UK CAA ATPL etc.
Don't know what is the situation if one doesn't have the UK/JAA equivalent Licenses however.
PM me if you need to as Laurie is coming out here again to the UK soon. If necessary I'll sit in the front with you and Laurie can sit in the back. I've done that before with Dawid Hanekom and I know it will all be above board.
Ou Pap