PDA

View Full Version : Lightning at Waddo

Fall Guy
2nd Jul 2009, 07:23
Does anyone know about progress made with the ex-5 Sqn Lightning that is being renovated, hopefully in time to be in place in front of 5(AC) Sqn HQ at the Waddo Air Show?

I heard it was delayed and will not be ready to fly?!!...they got the Victor airborne the other day ;).

Wensleydale
2nd Jul 2009, 07:28
In a similar vein, what is going to happen to the Waddo F4 when 23 Sqn folds? (or have 56 already got first refusal).

Fall Guy
2nd Jul 2009, 07:41
Interestingly, the former 5 Sqn Lightning was also previously flown by the now Waddo based 56 Sqn before it ended up on 5 at Binbrook. Maybe they could nick it and paint it in their own colours one drunken night along with the Phantom? :E

GeeRam
2nd Jul 2009, 10:32
XR770 can claim service with 23 Sqn also, before time with 56. And before that, she intially was with 74 Sqn.

'770 when with 56 Sqn.

http://www.aviation-picture-hangar.co.uk/xr770tw56.jpg

Willard Whyte
2nd Jul 2009, 10:48
In a similar vein, what is going to happen to the Waddo F4 when 23 Sqn folds?

eBay?

Must be worth at least £2.51

gareth herts
2nd Jul 2009, 11:15
It's on the static list so am assuming it must be pretty much ready.

Jayfoe
2nd Jul 2009, 11:54
From the glimpse I got whilst driving past the hangar earlier this week, I don't think it will be on the static line :}

circle kay
2nd Jul 2009, 18:20
Jayfor,

I think you are mistaken, a very Bright XR770 has been outside 5 for about 2 hours. Well done to the Proj O and the painters; who have virtually lived in 2 Hangar for the last week.

Fall Guy
2nd Jul 2009, 18:49
Cracking news!

I know the Proj O and well done to him and his team, who have been up against it for ages. To get it completed on time is a real credit to all those who worked on it. :D Anyone got any photos?

FG

H Peacock
2nd Jul 2009, 18:53
Did I hear that they are waiting the delivery of some Avpin from Bruntingthorpe before they embark on the first of several engine runs? I've no doubt that the long runway at Waddo will enable it to achieve a Victor 'hop' on a high speed taxi run!

:D

Geddy Lee
2nd Jul 2009, 19:31
The 23 Sqn F-4 will be 'gifted' to 8 Sqn for safe keeping until 23 Sqn reform. It will remain in 23 Sqn colours and in its current location.

GeeRam
2nd Jul 2009, 20:44
Did I hear that they are waiting the delivery of some Avpin from Bruntingthorpe before they embark on the first of several engine runs?

They might need the some donks delivered before the Avpin will be of any use.......:E
Not to mention jet pipes and lord knows what else that has been stripped out of her over the years.......even then no chance of it ever becoming active given it's condition.

NutLoose
2nd Jul 2009, 23:06
http://www.aviation-picture-hangar.co.uk/xr770tw56.jpg

Ahh a frightning, at full power the fuel is consumed at a rate of 1.5 gallons per second, It had to so you could use the stuff before it leaked out....... Nice to see in the picture the second most important thing in a Lightning's portfolio, a stack of driptrays.

Sl4yer
2nd Jul 2009, 23:24
Take a look here. (http://fightercontrol.forumotion.com/other-military-aviation-related-matter-f19/time-for-a-beerxr770-t11572.htm) Looks like an excellent piece of work! :D