PDA

View Full Version : Logging FAA hours in the EU

Gypsy_Air
1st Jul 2009, 19:35
I have an FAA PPL(H), and have flown about 16 hours doing International Crosscountry in Europe. I have just been told that I cannot log any of that time because it was flown in Europe using an American licence.
Can anyone confirm or deny that please? I am now very worried that none of my hours count.

Thanks in advance.

nervy
1st Jul 2009, 19:45
Of course it counts. It's all flight time.

HillerBee
1st Jul 2009, 21:52
Under the FAA rules you cannot log time as safety pilot as well, you can only log PIC time when you are the sole manipulator of the controls and in command. Under FAA you can log PIC receiving dual instruction once you're licensed, however only when you're actually doing flight training, not when you're just flying around with an instructor (who also logs PIC). It's all common sense really, you know it yourself where you flying yourself (and signed for the aircraft) or not?

Just be honest.

SASless
1st Jul 2009, 22:35
Log it! Assuming your FAA medical is current, your FAA Flight Review is current, and you were hands on sticks.....why would you not be able to log it?

Actually....you can log every single minute you fly but you have to be "legal" for it to count towards certificates, ratings, and training requirements.

As to whether you can log it for use by the CAA....that is a whole different kettle of fish.

Gypsy_Air
2nd Jul 2009, 13:19
I was flying as PIC, and I'm not too bothered about logging it for CAA, as I will most likely be going back to the US to do my CPL(H). I cannot find any regulation in the FAR/AIM which says I cannot log the time, so I guess it's ok by the FAA.

Thanks again for the responses.