PDA

View Full Version : Training to become a commercial Pilot. (Advice Wanted)

JReeves
1st Jul 2009, 19:23
I am at the stage in life when its coming to making big decisions about carers and jobs. For a little while now i have been interested in becoming a commercial pilot/ or possible a cargo pilot. I have spoken to Ex pilots who have recommended this site to gain knowledge and information which can help me further make a decisions and to learn more about what i might be getting my self into.

So first of all Some simple questions:
I have heard of 3 ways to train and to get licenses these are through university, the military or funding it yourself. Has any one had experience of these and if so what was your overall experience like. Also what other routes can i take?

Another questions what licenses would i have to acquire to fly cargo or commercial planes and are the licenses different to fly private jets?

Thanks for your time i have a lot of admiration for all you pilots out there.

Flintstone
1st Jul 2009, 20:07
JR

Welcome to the site.

In the nicest possible way and with absolutely no malice intended can I ask how many of the existing threads have you read? Absolutely every question you can imagine will have already been asked and answered and you'll be doing the moderators (and everyone else, yourself included) a big favour by spending a few hours reading those before starting another asking the same question as at least three newcomers each week.

The advantages of doing this are that you'll get your answers in a few hours, you'll get to find out about things you won't even have thought to ask about yet and you won't be labelled as just another annoying n00b ;)

Good luck with it.

JReeves
1st Jul 2009, 20:08
Ok thank you for the advice.

adverse-bump
1st Jul 2009, 20:26
hi, i'd echo what the post above says about reading old posts. but add some caution - theres alot of crap on here! remember its all other peoples views and not fact.

you seem to have been misinformed about flying!

whats behind the door behind you (ie cargo, poor passengers, or rich passengers) do not effect the type of license that you need, but rather the weight of the aircraft that you fly. in reality, there will only be one license that you should be interested in. the fATPL (frozen ATPL), some times called a cpl with atpl credits.

there are two ways you can go about getting it, one is very expensice, the other is bloody expensive! the modular route (the very expensive one) is where you mostly arrange your own training, and can do different stages of it at different schools.

the intergrated course (bloody expensive) costs about twice as much, now im sure most people will kick off when I say this, but there is little benifit in spending the extra unless an airline is sponcering you through it (many claim it gives you more chance of finding a job - thats not true, getting a job a the end of your training is based on your own merits. but the course is all done at one school and is structured slightly different.

but at the end of the day you will get the same license.

for now go have a play at your local flying school, maybe even try and get some part time work there?

Flyboy6788
1st Jul 2009, 23:45
Welcome

I can give you my views and opinions from the university route as ive almost completed it :)

In 2006 i enrolled on the Air transport w/ commercial pilot training degree at Bucks New Uni. I chose this course as i new i wanted to start flying and get my licences but also wanted to experience university life. It seemed the perfect choice.

As it stands in July 2009 im just shy of 21 am awaiting the results of my degree, have my PPL, CPL, ATPL theory exams completed and have my IR booked in for the end of the month.

The advantage (or so they say) of doing the training with a degree is that it gives you extra knowledge within the area in which pilots work. I am not 100% sure this will help at all in being hired by an airline, but i do no regret my decision to take this path. I have learnt so much about airport terminal design, airline marketing, ground controls etc that it will only help me along the road.

If you are well motivated (which i suspect most trainee pilots are) then the university path could work for you.

i feel like i could talk about my last 3yrs for hours lol if you want any more info email me

james

waiterpilot
2nd Jul 2009, 15:54
Hi Mr/Ms JReeves,

Having faced the same problems a few years ago at a similar age to you, I wrote an article (mere days ago) which details how to become a pilot (http://www.profpilot.co.uk/articles/training/how-to-become-a-pilot/) with the civilian route. Tells you more about the licences, order they come in and how/where to get them.

Hopefully you'll find it useful.

As I said, I've been where you are now - so any questions just fire them across my bow.

WP:ok: