PDA

View Full Version : Jul 09 RAF promotion list

c130jbloke
1st Jul 2009, 09:18
Out on the RAF site: RAF - Officer Promotions - 1 Jul 2009 (http://www.raf.mod.uk/news/officerpromotionsjul09.cfm) Congrats to all.:ok:

GalleyTeapot
1st Jul 2009, 10:59
Seems to follow the usual standard for promotions, Good Guy, :mad: :ugh:, Good Guy, Good Guy etc etc

Dan Winterland
1st Jul 2009, 11:59
Flt Lt to Sqn Ldr have equal numbers in Flying, Ops Support and Admin branches. Tells a story!

PPRuNeUser0211
1st Jul 2009, 12:23
Got all excited then for a moment....

then realised it was someone with the same initial and surname...
bugger!;)

charliegolf
1st Jul 2009, 13:33
pba,

Not surprising, sinceTarget's a fairly common name. When I was a student, a bloke called Jonathan Target got struck by lightning! Twice!

CG

Who undertook to never stand near him in bad weather.

Mahogany_Bomber
1st Jul 2009, 13:45
Dan,

I'm obviously being as thick as usual today, what story's that?

MB

PPRuNeUser0211
1st Jul 2009, 14:34
CG - but what are the chances of someone else having the initials PBA! Can't be that many of us;)!

airborne_artist
1st Jul 2009, 14:38
Flt Lt to Sqn Ldr have equal numbers in Flying, Ops Support and Admin branches.

I'm obviously being as thick as usual today, what story's that?

I think he means that in days gone by there'd have been many more aviators than stackers/chinagraph twirlers getting their scraper.

Dan Winterland
1st Jul 2009, 16:48
RAF = Royal Administration Force.

racedo
1st Jul 2009, 17:38
Assummed they would have done away with all that flying nonsense and just did the admin.:cool:

Just think of all the medals you could award to the penpushers !!!

minigundiplomat
1st Jul 2009, 20:46
Glad to see a certain AEO (ex-SAR) on there. Remember doing the NATO Arctic cse with him, and his glass back.

When we built the quincy hut, I got to shovel the snow, his back problem only allowed him to stamp it down into a smaller pile, before I shovelled more. Despite that, the promotion is well deserved Stu.

Mahogany_Bomber
2nd Jul 2009, 00:03
Right, got it. All those Admin types with air rank running today's RAF, creating jobs for their blunty brethren to be over-promoted into. Bring back the old days when the AOC, AOC-in-C and CAS and the upper echelons were all aircrew instead of the current RAF where they are all ... aircrew.

MB

muttywhitedog
2nd Jul 2009, 12:28
Does this latest round of promotions increase, decrease or maintain the status quo of the number of Air Officers to aircraft ratio?

Mr C Hinecap
2nd Jul 2009, 14:30
Surely if the cuts we spread evenly across the RAF the proportion of those promoted across the board would remain the same

If we reduced our ranges of equipment to support, we probably could reduce even further in the support world - beyond the large 'efficiencies' taken already. However, the ancient platforms being worked above and beyond all reasonable expectations in theatres they weren't designed or procured for do take rather a lot of effort to maintain. I'm sorry there aren't less of us - really, I am. :rolleyes:

(to a point obviously).

That was, IMHO, several years ago.

SaddamsLoveChild
3rd Jul 2009, 18:02
Over the last 3 years and since the problems with JPA and the general cutting of the junior rank admin staffs, the PVR and exit rate for RAF Admin Officers has been the highest and thus the numbers of promotions to fill the gaps has risen. It doesnt bother me but the branch is promoting and signing on to age 55, staffs that are not deployable and who achieve B+, recommended. There are some good people on this years list but there are also some that I really would not like to see sausage side................. well done to all the pensions secure after 3 years!!:D

Roger D'Erassoff
3rd Jul 2009, 18:14
Now is it 2 years or 3 to secure your pension in a new rank? I keep hearing both and I know if I asked a muggle down in handbrake then they would probably tell me, but quite frankly I haven't been @rsed up to now!

Pontius Navigator
3rd Jul 2009, 20:15
Right, got it. All those Admin types with air rank running today's RAF, creating jobs for their blunty brethren to be over-promoted into. Bring back the old days when the AOC, AOC-in-C and CAS and the upper echelons were all aircrew instead of the current RAF where they are all ... aircrew.

MB

Actually just counted the stars in the latest AIR Cmd bulletin. Don't have it in front of me but from memory - 10 our of 11 have wings and 2 of them wearing the Nav brevet, none of your new brevet nonsense at the top.

Wonder what rank the most senior WSO is now.

Biggus
4th Jul 2009, 10:09
I know of at least one senior "Nav" who elected to change to wearing the new WSO brevet. He is currently a 1 star. I expect that there are probably more senior WSOs out there.

I'm not sure why Navs would switch to the WSO brevet, personal choice, forward looking, political move, commonality with your troops, etc....

I can however understand why say AEOs would switch to the WSO brevet. For one thing it presumably means they can now get two rungs higher on the PA pay spine. To say nothing of more job opportunities now open to them!!

Pontius Navigator
4th Jul 2009, 10:21
Biggus, I was not asking about switchers but those trained only as WSO.