PDA

View Full Version : USB - pains and problems

PPRuNe Pop
1st Jul 2009, 07:07
I have two exclamation marks on USB 2.0 Root Hub Device in Device Manager. Each time I start my machine I get two "Found new hardware." I don't bother to try and get them working now because they both give "Cannot continue with update" (or similar) every time.

I have another exclamation mark on USB Serial Controller but that just stays there - and I noted from Googling that it was not important!

Thoughts welcome please.

Sprogget
1st Jul 2009, 07:51
every time.

Every time you do what Pop?

taxydual
1st Jul 2009, 07:56
Try re-installing the drivers for the Motherboard.

PPRuNe Pop
1st Jul 2009, 08:34
Sprogget,

Everytime the "Found New Hardware Wizard" comes up - it tries to find it and then doesn't!

Taxydual,

Tried that.....no joy. Now trying to find if other drivers exist.

MacBoero
1st Jul 2009, 08:43
I agree with taxidual, if it can't continue it is usually because the updater can't find appropriate drivers. You'd need to have the driver install disk for the motherboard in the drive for the update to work.

Why this has suddenly started happening might be more of an issue. Devices generally don't just stop working and require the drivers reinstalled for no reason.

Either there is a fault with the USB chipset on the motherboard, or some form of corruption has crept in. I would place money that it has been quite some considerable time since the OS was freshly installed. The registry is perhaps, too big, very fragmented and becoming more prone to errors and problems.

Sprogget
1st Jul 2009, 09:04
One option would be to uninstall the usb root hub devices in device manager, then restart the machine. Windows will automatically scan for hardware changes & reinstall the usb drivers, subject to what Macboero said.

PPRuNe Pop
1st Jul 2009, 10:59
Interesting this - I think!

I uninstalled the root hub devices - which are associated with PCI Class host controller. Both working properly. No probs.

Restarted and the 2 root hub devices, whatever they are 'cos I cannot identify them, re-appeared still with their exclamation marks. :ugh:

Sprogget
1st Jul 2009, 11:13
USB port may stop working after you remove or insert a USB device (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817900)

A few ideas here.

frostbite
1st Jul 2009, 11:38
Probably no help at all but I have a problem with a USB device that can be resolved (after each bootup!) by unplugging then reconnecting the USB cable.

Then windoze sees it and is quite happy with it without seemingly noticing the plug activity.

green granite
1st Jul 2009, 11:55
Try some of these ideas POP: Advanced troubleshooting tips for general USB problems in Windows XP (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310575)

PPRuNe Pop
1st Jul 2009, 15:38
Well you gave me the ideas and I sent MS and I tried taking the horns by the balls - and uninstalled the offending exclamation marks and restarted with my device unconnected - it was a Nova -T Stick - and noticed some more exclamation marks in Device Manager and deleted them too! Re-connected and all is well.

Net result no more ex marks and my TV stick now works and I am very busy watching Mr Murray.

Thanks guys. A message there I reckon.

Keef
1st Jul 2009, 15:41
I uninstalled the root hub devices - which are associated with PCI Class host controller. Both working properly. No probs.

Restarted and the 2 root hub devices, whatever they are 'cos I cannot identify them, re-appeared still with their exclamation marks. :ugh:

Let's approach this the logical way.

Are the offending root hubs inside the PC, or outside?
Unplug everything external that's connected to USB ports on the PC (apart from the keyboard and mouse, if they are) and restart.

If there's a problem at that stage, it's with the USB devices on the motherboard. If you know which they are, you can download drivers for them - but the driver is almost certainly already on the PC, it just can't find it. I've had that happen, and pointing the "installer" at C:\Windows\system32 and folders round there has fixed it.

If there's no problem there, it's one of the ones you unpluigged.
Plug in devices one at a time, and look at the "devices" tab till a problem one appears. Note which device it is. Google for drivers for that.