PDA

View Full Version : Nokia CarMenu - .sis extention

mini
30th Jun 2009, 22:39
Sorry if this is an elementary question, I've tried search with no success.

I've got myself a new mobile phone car kit (Nokia CK300), it makes great fuss of advising that you download and use software called CarMenu, which on further examination appears to be worth the trouble.

I have managed to download said software, but unfortunately the file extension is .sis and my machine doesn't recognise it.

Having allowed MS to find a solution on the net, I'm presented with pages of sites that offer "free" solutions etc etc, you can guess the rest.

Can anyone offer me a simple solution? I just want to unwrap this package, install it on my 'phone and carry on my merry way :)

SyllogismCheck
30th Jun 2009, 22:49
A '.sis' file is a Symian OS installation file. It should be sent to a Symbian mobile and should begin installation automatically once received by the device. It's not a file for PC use, hence why you can't open it there.

Saab Dastard
30th Jun 2009, 22:49
File extension SIS is most commonly used by Symbian InStallation files. These files contain application files and install scripts that define the way applications are installed on a Symbian-powered mobile phone.

In order to open these files they should be copied over to the phone, using the PC-phone comms software.

SD

mini
30th Jun 2009, 23:05
Sorry Guys,

Can I have a complete idiots guide to this?

I just plugged my phone into the laptop via the relevant cable & nothing happened, 'phone doesn't show up in explorer.

Sorry.

SyllogismCheck
1st Jul 2009, 06:59
Hi mini,

Sorry, I'm in a bit of a rush, but am sure someone will answer more fully in due course.

What make and model of phone do you have? If it's not a Nokia or certain Sony Ericssons, then it's likely it's not running the Symbian OS anyway. If it is one of those, what you need is the relevant PC software for your phone. eg. For Nokia, this is Nokia PC Suite. Go to your phone manufacturer's website to download. Install this and connect phone as per the instructions and you should then be able to transfer the .sis file to your phone using the relevant tool within the package.

Hope that's of some use, if not very comprehensive due to time. :)

mini
7th Jul 2009, 23:02
Sorry for the delay in replying.

Just to close this one in the hope it may provide an answer to a search in the future.

Downloaded Nokia PC Suite, set up Laptop to 'Phone comms via cable, used said software to transfer CarMenu software.

All working well now.

Thanks all. :ok: