PDA

View Full Version : Risky to put on an application form?

Captain_Scooby
30th Jun 2009, 13:17
Odd question.... just filling in an application form which asks about recreational activities and interests. One thing I do is run an eBay account for a charity group which works with young gay lads, and I'm also involved with helping to run the group itself. Just wondering if some of the more old-school recruiters would have an issue with this, or whether or not the industry has moved on. I could of course just not mention what the charity does, although I don't want to start tripping over my words if they ask more in an interview.

Thoughts?

redout
30th Jun 2009, 13:40
Its not for them to judge if you work with a gay charity or not. In this day and age I wouldnt have thought it a problem. If you get any hassle over it you could always bring a case for discrimination against whatever company.

potkettleblack
30th Jun 2009, 13:52
"...An interest in most sports including rugby, cricket and golf".

Should suffice and not have you wondering what if.

betpump5
30th Jun 2009, 13:54
If you get any hassle over it you could always bring a case for discrimination against whatever company

Unless that company is Saudia :}

saucy jack
30th Jun 2009, 14:08
Assuming you are happy and comfortable to expand on the details if asked at interview why not include something generic like "charity group organiser" in your CV which suggests you have good team skills which would interest a recruiter and may elevate it above other applications in the pile.

I would certainly not be inclined to include references to internet activities involving "young gay lads" on an application, unless it was for a cabin crew job in which case you would quickly find yourself at the top of the pile.

However, without doubting the good work you surely do, the fact that you even need to ask the question leads me to think that this is something that you may already have decided to keep under your hat.

Just my own thoughts, not those of an old school recruiter type!

SJ

Captain_Scooby
30th Jun 2009, 14:14
I am indeed very cautious about putting it on applications, for some of the reasons detailed above. I do have other things I can put instead, so I guess there's not much point in opening myself up to potentially awkward interview questions. I also work with an air ambulance charity, so will just expand on what I've already written about that.

Thx all for the comments

betpump5
30th Jun 2009, 15:29
I would certainly not be inclined to include references to internet activities involving "young gay lads" on an application...in which case you would quickly find yourself at the top of the pile

so I guess there's not much point in opening myself up

s-s-stop it. You're killing me

TheBeak
30th Jun 2009, 16:27
I would certainly not be inclined to include references to internet activities involving "young gay lads" on an application, unless it was for a cabin crew job in which case you would quickly find yourself at the top of the pile.

Now that is funny.

MVE
30th Jun 2009, 17:37
Laughed so hard I nearly wet myself!:ok:
But seriously, sadly the airline world has not moved on a great deal and so I would follow the suggestion above and just put charity work. If you want to expand in the interview then fair enough.......

fade to grey
1st Jul 2009, 08:02
Hi,
Yeah, don't even think about it - you won't be able to do anything for discrimination because you just may not get an interview,,

much safer to leave it off....

Adios
1st Jul 2009, 22:07
I'd say leave off the fact that you give money to young gay lads on the Internet. If your interviewer wears a pink shirt and looks like Bruno, you can always bring it up at the interview!