PDA

View Full Version : Agricultural Flying Industry

boltz
30th Jun 2009, 02:28
It seems like anyone that does their commercial pilots licence these days is looking for a job in the airlines and nothing else. I'm looking for other career paths out there and was interested in finding out more information on the agricultural flying industry.
I understand that this should not be used as a stepping stone and that it is a dedicated career path.

What is the job like? How is the pay/conditions?
How does one start in the agricultural flying industry?

nick2007
30th Jun 2009, 02:34
A good place to start might be asking around at the Aerial Agriculture Association of Australia (AAAA). Aerial Agricultural Association of Australia (http://www.aerialag.com.au)

From what I understand it's probably a good idea to have a bit of experience working in GA before you start trying to get into Ag flying, due to the nature of the work.

alpha tango driver
30th Jun 2009, 06:05
Well after 23 years and 15000+ hrs of aerial ag, I am still enjoying every day at work. Pay is dependent on the season (weather) so 80K to 150K once your into turbines. Starts in the industry are hard to find, but out there if you look hard enough and are willing to put the work in. So go for it and good luck.:ok:

boltz
30th Jun 2009, 06:57
AT driver,

How did you get into the industry? What previous experience did you have before starting ag flying? Where's most of the work for ag flying? I'm guessing NSW and QLD. What is the work schedule like? (eg. seasonal)

Thanks

alpha tango driver
30th Jun 2009, 07:27
Hi Boltz,
How I got a start in the industry is a bit dated now. Australian agriculture and for that matter aerial ag has seen a lot of changes in the last 23 years, so advice from someone that has entered the industry in the last 3 to 5 years might be better help. As for flying experience before doing my ag rating, I had about 150 hrs tailwheel glider towing, about 30hrs meat bombing and 200 hrs VFR charter. Hope this helps.
PS: I came from a farming background and this helped a lot.

0zy
30th Jun 2009, 08:49
A farming background does help, Try and get yourself some loading experiance with an ag operator that still operates pistons which may lead to a seat later on.
The basic AG 2 retainer is fearly basic but you also take 10% of the aircraft charge out fee. Dont expect to make a lot of money first up as the pay gets better with experience. good luck.