PDA

View Full Version : Youth of Today

DX Wombat
29th Jun 2009, 11:47
All we seem to hear these days are complaints about the uselesness of the younger members of society so I should like to redress the balance a little.
On Saturday I was priviliged to be able to help at Project Propeller (http://www.projectpropeller.co.uk/)at Bruntingthorpe. I was helping on the ground as my passenger was unable to attend this year. Amongst the other helpers were four young gentlemen from 351 (Burton on Trent) ATC. I cannot praise them too highly. They are four wonderful lads who worked their little socks off doing all manner of tasks from carrying drinks for the Veterans to moving tables and chairs etc but most importantly they were there whenever a Veteran needed any help from an arm to lean on to simply listening to their stories (and they love to tell stories of their mates' exploits - never their own :) ). These young lads interrupted their own drinks and meals without a hint of grumpiness or dismay in order to help. They were cheerful and polite throughout the long day. They are a real credit to their Squadron and four lads of whom their parents and families can be very proud. It was a delightfully refreshing experience to meet them and I wish them all well in the future. They were all exhausted at the end of the day but were off to Cosford the following day to participate in events there. To my shame and embarrassment I cannot remember their names. :{ :O

PPRuNeUser0211
29th Jun 2009, 12:12
Wombat -
here here,

I'm fortunate enough in the line of duty and outside to have quite a lot to do with today's yoof and there's absolutely nowt wrong with the vast majority of them!

Many of my friends are teachers and we all agree the only ones who think the youth of today are out of control are people who never actually deal with them. Sure there are the odd ones who'd knife you soon as look at you, but last time I checked that applied just as equally to the adult population!

So, here's to the yoof!

ps I can never remember their names either, they all look the same to me!

Storminnorm
29th Jun 2009, 13:51
When I were a yoof we couldn't afford knives anyhow.
Had to just rip everything to bits. Very messy we were.

LEE BRITT
29th Jun 2009, 18:46
Well done those lads. :D:D

Wyler
30th Jun 2009, 07:40
I am the father of two teenagers and I have been a school Governor for 6 years. I get wholly sick and tired of the continual demonisation of our youth by the media and crusty old farts under the heading 'name and address supplied'.
As said, there is a minority that should be dressed in concrete and sent to the depths of the North Sea but the overwhelming majority are excellent human beings.
Sadly, at our local High School there have been two deaths amongst senior members of staff recently. The reaction from the kids has been breath taking. They organised memorial pages on the various internet sites, wore black at school for two entire days. They have formed their own committees to plan permanent memorials for each teacher and are organising fund raisers to raise the cash. All of this was done without prompting or intervention from the teachers. The Head Teacher was actually moved to tears by their behaviour and wrote to every parent.
Also, I meet far more rude adults than I do kids. :*

PPRuNeUser0211
30th Jun 2009, 07:41
Culio,

Dont get me wrong, we still hate you all because we're old and fear change...

I was just saying that I'm not scared of you;)!

ExRAFRadar
3rd Jul 2009, 20:26
Totally non-military but in the spirit of the people on here:

We have an old boy down my road who is, no bones about it, a full on alcoholic.

Few times I have walked him home, one time he cheekily asked me to go back to the main road and pick up his shopping :)

Just now, sat down watching the box, I could see said gentleman in a state of disrepair. Helping him into a car were 2 youngsters, girl and and a boy.
They drove him the 100 yards to his home and knowing how he is I went out to help.
These 2 youngsters were trying to get him out with kind words and gentle loving, I pitched up and spoke to him in that tone I once used to raise a sleepy cook to lay on a fresh urn of brew and a few bacon sarnies for a 'lost' army patrol on Mount Kent.
Got him in the house safe and sound and went back to the teenagers.
I asked them how they knew him and they said "We see him sometimes and thought we could not just leave him"
I have seen plenty of others walk right by him, including a nurse, but these kids stopped and took the time to help out.
To use a word they may know but sometimes not really understand - Respect.:D

Green Flash
3rd Jul 2009, 22:00
Would it be awkward of me to say I'm (relatively) young and also fear change? :P

No, it certainly wouldn't! But you have youth on your side. Us crusty old f@rts don't. So leaven your youth with our experience, grab hold of the baton, and run!

racedo
4th Jul 2009, 00:26
Everybody fears change.......Done interviews where get asked how do you cope with change, I just ask how can you cope with no change, everyday its change and everything we do is change, its part of life.

Yoof of today are ignorant noisy oiks who will just grow up, get jobs, rear families and in 50 years time complain Yoof of today were not like that when they were young, in short they are younger versions of what we once were but they have a lot more intelligence.

dieseldo
4th Jul 2009, 06:12
The war cemeteries of Europe are full of the yoof of yesterday!!!!!

rog747
4th Jul 2009, 07:30
having watched the yoof of today laugh and joke behind the cameras during the BBC and SKY reporting about the fatal tower block fire in south London last night that sadly shows the lack of respect of a huge bunch of the ones in the city centre here...

i use public transport all day here and am amazed at the 'feet on seats', spitting, littering, drinking and threatening attitudes of so many...

having travelled to many areas in the West country and Scotland and the North recently you see a better picture, but here in london? hmmm

EnigmAviation
4th Jul 2009, 07:58
There's no such thing as a bad kid, only bad parents - who set no example except bad ones, don't care where the kids are, abuse all those who seek to help, guide or admonish, thus we are now well into third generation yob culture in the ghetto's.

The easy way of parenting is to train them early, - tough, firm but fair, then the easy bit comes later when they have manners, ethics, and a reliable moral compass not to mention a work ethic and not a benefits ethic.

Mine too could have been one of the skid row kids, but now he's a highly respected member of the medical profession with a very bright future - all as a result of team effort, parents, child and lots of good teachers and other career backers along the way.

Was it easy? No - bloody hard at times, but all well worth it. Saying No is much harder than saying yes to everything.

What I've also had is the pleasure of working with lots of other future pilots and that too has been a wonderful feature of my 30 years where there is a legacy of really good young aviators - male and female of which I'm truly proud. :ok:

Wander00
4th Jul 2009, 08:11
Parents have the prime responsibility, which we have always read as providing our kids (now 37,36 and nearly 21) with "roots to grow and wings to fly". Seems to work - all three are good guys in every sense, and I could not be more proud of them (and none of them are aviators!)