PDA

View Full Version : Hawker Hunter coincidence 28th June

aviate1138
29th Jun 2009, 07:50
Yesterday the wife arranged a surprise B'Day party for yours truly. A load of old farts were going down nostalgia lane when I reminded SWMBO that in a previous relationship she was attached [briefly] to a 208 Squadron Hawker Hunter pilot. At that precise moment [late afternoon] a Hunter flew over heading Westwards with a nearly but not quite 'blue note', he can't have been doing more than 250 knots? aiming I presume, towards Kemble. We have lived South of Farnham for 12 years and that is the first time we have seen a Hunter overhead and it made my day.

Thanks to whoever was flying the machine and also to the Jet Provost that appeared a little later. Similar track.

The other thing about coincidences that always amuses me is to be driving and listening to the radio and hearing someone say a word like 'Concorde' or 'Sunset' and reading that same word on the side/rear/front of a truck or bus as the word is spoken.
The other one is driving under a bridge as a train goes over and then sometime later approaching an unmanned level crossing and wondering if the same coincidence might occur, with a totally different outcome!

The late XV105
29th Jun 2009, 22:16
In a similar vein two years ago; Dad's 70th birthday garden party. Wing Co (Ret'd). Yours truly making a speech. Draw to a close. Dad stands to reply. Reds fly over. In formation. Perfectly timed. Perfectly "aimed". Bloody perfect! So much so that a few of the guests were convinced that it had been arranged!

aviate1138
30th Jun 2009, 06:37
Another coincidence! It was my 70th as well! :)

–noun
1. a striking occurrence of two or more events at one time apparently by mere chance:

If you want coincidences...........
20 Most Amazing Coincidences - Oddee.com (http://www.oddee.com/item_82923.aspx)

Having started what is barely a spotters thread I began to link coincidence with watching aircraft...... and
One thing that stopped me going to Farnborough was the fact that I was there in the crowd when John Derry's DH110 broke up.
Was also there when Pee Wee Judge died in the Wallis autogyro.
Also when the Breguet Atlantique fell into the Black Shed.
Also when the Sikorsky S-67 BlackHawk crashed
I stopped going after 1974 for a while then went back in 1984 and witnessed the DHC Buffalo crash - but no one was killed that time!

It's all chance really....... "Chance is a Fool's name for Fate" to quote a Fred Astaire movie character.