PDA

View Full Version : How often do Engineers get to jumpseat?

aviatordom
28th Jun 2009, 12:11
Hey guys & girls, Seeing that it currently remains unlikely that i'll become an ATPL holder due to my medical status, how often do Engineers/Technicians get to jumpseat on a flight? Regards, Dominic

NIGHTFR8R
28th Jun 2009, 18:50
I have to jump seat most days, it's the only time I get a good sleep, the middle seat is so comfortable:ok:

Nightrider
29th Jun 2009, 05:53
currently remains unlikely that i'll become an ATPL holder due to my medical status

Is that a status issued by an aviation medical centre? You have some years to go before an ATPL may be the basis for your job. Unless you are not grounded by at least 2 different examiners, it may be worth of starting a thorough investigation of your existing condition. Medicine is changing as quickly as aviation does.
But then, are you sure you want to sit at the pointing end?

smudgethecat
29th Jun 2009, 10:03
In out company quite often unfortunatly becace there to tight to give you a decent seat in the cabin, went to bahrain and back last week stuck in a crappy old 757 2nd obs seat, however surely your not thinking of becoming a engineer because you might get a ride on the flightdeck are you?

aviatordom
29th Jun 2009, 17:58
I know I have some years to wait yet, there may be a cure by then, hopefully, the CAA/JAA/ICAO will relax their restrictions regarding flying and Epilepsy. Nightrider: I'm pretty sure that one day I want to be sitting at the pointed end. It's something i've wanted to do since I was 11, and although I havent gained real-life experience I've managed to build up a good idea of the pros/cons, lifestyle, etc. smudgethecat: I would happily take a 757 obs seat over a standard cabin one! No, I don't want to be an Engineer just because I could get the opportunity to jumpseat now & then, I was simply curious how often Technicians get to do it.

spannersatcx
29th Jun 2009, 18:18
I guess it depends on who you work for and where and whether there is a requirement for a flying spanner. We were flying to ARN last year once or twice a week until the locals were up and running. Don't see it too often nowadays, a few years back it could be quite regular, did a few around Europe the middle east and the US, but none for a while or the forseable future.

cessna24
29th Jun 2009, 18:50
aviatordom,

Like already mentioned, medicine is changing every day so keep your dream alive and make sure you study hard while your young and when you get to the right age, then see what the governing body accepts.

But if you cant, then keep in mind the engineering route. We work with and on the aircraft and we dont have to sit in a cramped cockpit for 10-12hrs a day.

They are both good jobs but us engineers know what we are talking about- pilots sound like they know what they are talking about!!:O

c24

ready eddy
29th Jun 2009, 21:55
@ c24, I like that comment!:ok:

NutLoose
30th Jun 2009, 10:12
"They are both good jobs but us engineers know what we are talking about- pilots sound like they know what they are talking about!!http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/embarass.gif"

or remember a Pilot is a tool used by an Engineer before using the correct one for the job :p

cessna24
30th Jun 2009, 18:07
lol. Defo nutloose

But I like using the saying,
"Pilots with gold bars are like piles. The longer you sit there the more you get"

Just for laughs:O

aviatordom
30th Jun 2009, 20:34
Thanks for the replies so far guys, happy wrenching!

BradG
1st Jul 2009, 02:15
When you guys say "Engineer" are you referring to an aircraft technician/mechanic? Just trying to disambiguate from a design-type engineer.

Fargoo
1st Jul 2009, 07:27
Brad, in the Uk and Oz at least maintenance technicians such as myself are quite rightly known as Engineers.

There won't be many design Engineers allowed to fly in the jumpseat on commercial flights anymore as the rules on this have tightened up considerably.

I flown the jumpseat a handful of times and although its interesting and the crews have always been very friendly it's far more desirable to fly in the cabin in comfort especially after a long job away from home :ok:

Blacksheep
1st Jul 2009, 08:39
I've spent three months on technical support for a customer that involved flying jump-seat as a "flying spanner" on a daily basis; usually two round trips a day for a total of eight hours or so flying time and of course another six hours doing transits and putting the aircraft to bed. I guess I logged about 600 flight hours in that time and though such assignments are scarce, they're not that unusual for some types of operation - crew-chiefs on charters and VIP for example.

HAWK21M
1st Jul 2009, 15:54
Out Here Aircraft Maintenance Engineers can jumpseat anytime,as long as its official.
regds
MEL.

Piper19
3rd Jul 2009, 11:04
A few years ago we had jumpseating mechanics almost 3-4 times a week. However most of the time it were the same money minded mechanics that did go with the a/c, and the mechanics that would really enjoy the flight had to stay on ground. If you were of the last type, you would do 1 or 2 trips a year.
These times however, very few jumpseats, most of the aog work is done by contracting people.

We have a few loadmasters, I think that is the job that offers you the most jumpseat time without being a pilot yourself.