PDA

View Full Version : Lets Hear Your Extraordinary Stories !!

luffers79
27th Jun 2009, 18:11
How´s this for a starter ?
In the 1970´s I was seconded to a North African country that had a route to Moscow & return the same day. If we were on time approaching Moscow we were usually 5 minutes behind a scheduled BEAline Trident & we were usually parked alongside each other. After the Trident called for startup clearance for his return flight, I too called. We were both told to "Standby". Some 10 minutes later BEAline asked when they could expect clearance. He was told. "Startup clearance in four and a half hours"(!!) I was given one 5 minutes after the BEAline.
I asked the reason for the Long Delay, only to be told that "The President of the Soviet Union (Brezhnev) is in the air". I then asked if he was flying into Moscow ? They replied that he was airborne over the Soviet Union & No flights were to take off anywhere until he had landed. Eventually we got our clearances as promised.
Meanwhile a little private soldier who was always allocated to a visiting foreign aircraft stayed in his usual position throughout, in front of the nose, with his machine gun ready (to shoot out our tyres ??). The temperature was about minus 25 degrees Centigrade. Snowing, dark & windy.

OK. Story No 2.
These return flights to Moscow landed half way at Sofia, Bulgaria some days & thus had 4 sectors, each of about 3 hours, so we took 2 cockpit crew due to the long day. I didn´t know the other crew very well - but they were to fly the return flight, whilst we had a meal & rested down the back. Passing through Sofia we had been told that no passengers were booked from there for our return flight &
therefore we could fly back home direct from Moscow.

I knew the Moscow route well & was aware of the need to contact ATC before crossing their border 10 minutes beforehand asking for permission to cross it. The trouble was that the frequency was always Very overcrowded in those days & the quality was like Bad HF with continuous heavy static - ALWAYS !! Their ATC didn´t seem interested in you if you were holding outside & calling. Only when you were on the border, or just inside it, did they respond. It became practice not to hold outside - but to continue calling as you crossed it. Only then did ATC show an interest in you & reply with your onward clearance to Moscow. Never a problem.
On landing at Moscow I submitted a new Flight Plan for a direct flight home & was told that the Chief ATC officer wanted to see me. I was taken to his darkened office & came face to face with this frightful looking man with a monocle, in army uniform complete with breeches & medal ribbons. Something Evil out of a James Bond movie. He demanded to know, via his interpreter, why I hadn´t got clearance 10 minutes before the border. I replied truthfully about the situation with their overcrowded frequencies & no replies - unless you were nearer the border. He went over to his window & was silent for a while - looking out at the night scene of the airport.
"Why are you not going back via Sofia", he asked. I explained. "Change of flight plan approved", said he.
I decided not to tell the other crew members of these events. Having finished our meal on the way back we snoozed until my co pilot decided he would go up front to see how the flight was progressing against the headwinds - & if we were likely to make it back direct to base, or have to stop & refuel somewhere en route. We had been airborne for about three & a half hours. I thought we might be around Geneva ???.
Copilot comes back, "You´ll never believe where we are !! We´re just coming up to top of descent into ......MOSCOW !!!". The other crew had been turned back towards Moscow -then reversed every time they got anywhere near the border, going West. No Explanations. Eventually the other captain said he would have to land & refuel at Moscow if he wasn´t given permission to exit the border immediately. Finally they got the onward clearance (in unusual phraseology -"The Chief Air Traffic Control Officer of Moscow authorises you to exit Soviet airspace" etc) but soon after had to land at Vienna to refuel to get home.

Monocle man got his revenge for me being "cheeky" - criticising the setup/radios etc. ( & Yes I do feel sorry for the run-around the other crew had. I never told them the reason, I´m sorry to say.). They must have been tearing their hair out in unknowing exasperation !! Poor guys !! :ugh:

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
27th Jun 2009, 19:48
Re: First story. A certain Royal British Air Force airfield not ten million miles away from Hounslow International used to stop all movements 15 mins either side of a Royal Flight at the latter.... Meanwhile, all ops at Hounslow International carried on normally... So it can happen in Blighty too, albeit it on a lesser scale!

Fareastdriver
27th Jun 2009, 22:24
China 1998. Working out of Tanguu in North-Eastern China on a oil rig support operation. British registered Super Puma with British captain and Chinese co-pilot.
Monthly continuation training for co-pilots so fix up some ILS training with Tanjian International, about ten minutes up the road. Chinese co-pilot trundles round the first one with no trouble and as we pass the inner marker a Bulgarian IL 62 asks for start clearance for Sofia.
The tower. "COHC 7036," that's me, "how long is your instrument training?"
"Another forty minutes," says I.
"Roger. Bulgarian Airways ****, start up delayed for forty minutes."

Flightwatch
28th Jun 2009, 07:15
Staying on the ATC theme.

Summer 1971 or '2 during the Frankfurt ATC strike. Start up delays of 2 to 3 hours depending on the time of day.

We had a scheduled service THF-FRA-THF which operated hourly throughout the day.

In the hold at Fulda listened out on the ground frequency and found there was a 2 hour delay. Called up and asked for start clearance for the return service, no stand number was required in those days, the only question asked was "are your doors closed". "Affirmative" was my truthful reply. "Roger = you are no. 36(?) in sequence - standby for start".

We landed around 40 minutes later, had a leisurly 45 to 50 minute turnround, got our start clearance and went on our way rejoicing.

Very satisfying, got away 15 minutes before the previous hour's departure and beat the system - never managed it again though!

Fareastdriver
28th Jun 2009, 10:05
China 1999. Detachment in Tanguu finished so flying aircraft back to Shenzhen. The first day was via a couple of places to Wehzhou but I will not describe that as I would be called a liar.

The second day is Wenzhou-Xiamen-Shenzhen. The flight plan is accepted and the first leg goes OK. Refile for the second leg and have lunch. At two o'clock call up for start clearance. There is a delay for start, time unknown.

After thirty minutes dismount and go to ATC. Evetually we end up in the Area Control Room to talk to the area supervisor. There is an air force exercise at Shantou and all non-scheduled (i.e. me) traffic is banned. We will have to wait until they have finished.

Not too worried. CAF exercises vary between a rerun of WW II to one aircraft doing circuit training. It was three parts through the month so they would be running out of their monthly allocation of fuel so I expected them to finish by five o'clock. Shantou was an hour away so lift off at four.

Four o'clock came, nothing doing. My controller was on the blower to the Shantou controller who was on to the CAF bloke. Indefinate delay was the word, maybe all night. I wasn't worried. Xiamen was a bright new modern city and I was quite looking forward to a night stop there, especially after two months at Tanguu. My Chinese co-pilot wasn't so keen, something about being away from home too long.

He was now on his mobile to one of our Chinese engineers that we were giving a lift to. Engineer fronts up in ATC and there is a huddled conversation between him and my co-pilot during which a few hundred yuan change hands. The engineer then leaves.

Fifteen minutes later he returns laden with two cases of Coke and two cartons of Marlboro cigarettes. My co-pilot relieves him of them and proceeds to hand them round the control room like Father Christmas. The supervisor then drags out a 'special' route that avoids Shantou to the North and connects with the airway into Shenzhen.

Twenty minutes later we were en-route.

Saint-Ex
29th Jun 2009, 07:20
During the early 70`s, I had a charter flight out of Gatwick to Ibiza. There were strikes in Europe with prolonged delays. We called for start at around 1550 and were told to expect start at 1705. Great ,we thought, that`s not bad. Then the controller added "Tomorrow".