PDA

View Full Version : FTA Shuts it's Doors

longrass
27th Jun 2009, 11:56
CFI has bailed, company is broke....... Poor HM would turn in his grave if he knew what they have done

tio540
27th Jun 2009, 13:20
Does anyone know more?

Horatio Leafblower
27th Jun 2009, 13:43
That would be the YBAF FTA... HM I presume is the famed, esteemed, and late Humphrey Maltman.

BUT I am guessing and reading between the lines :confused:

eeper23
27th Jun 2009, 14:00
Yep, you're spot on HL.

No suprise really, those idiots ran it into the ground! :}

Dangly Bits
27th Jun 2009, 14:22
I wish ML good luck with his next career. (FOI maybe). He is a true gentleman like Humphrey was.

To the new owner of FTA. You shouldn't have messed with a sucessful formula because you thought you knew better. You have done the aviation industry a dis-service. Shame on you.

Unusual-Attitude
28th Jun 2009, 02:08
Hmmm, great shame, used to be a very friendly and busy little hub for wannabe's local and foreign.

Can almost see Humph now, pipe in mouth...shaking his head in disbelief at how the place has fallen in such a short time.

I went in to say hello to the few guys and girls remaining there from the older days, not long back...and i'd have to say...it was a shell of its former self...sterile, and, more importantly...earily quiet!

Hope all (instructors and students) can move on without too many issues, (and not be left out of pocket!)

Hopefully, something better might be rise from the latter FTA's ashes.

UA :sad:

FrontLights
28th Jun 2009, 04:05
Hey guys,

Any of this been confirmed?

Numbers Up
28th Jun 2009, 04:14
Did they have any standing charter contracts in place?

ravan
28th Jun 2009, 10:15
Very interesting... Doors are not shut yet .... CFI has left but the search is on for a new one and a Chief Pilot... Interviews to be held and appointments to be made...training suspended until positions filled (??)..."Staff development" being conducted in the meantime......Watch this space!!:}

phatmike128
29th Jun 2009, 00:39
CFI and AOC gone. Heard this yesterday.

MCKES
29th Jun 2009, 07:07
Don't know who you guys were getting this info from but it couldn't be further from the truth.:ok:

ravan
29th Jun 2009, 07:43
As I said..... new CFI appointed and finishing interview this week; new Chief Pilot negotiating terms & conditions but looking good for the job....AOC still intact ....business carries on, albeit under a slightly different guise to the ideas of the original FTA which is what would have HM turning in his grave.

shannon.ward
30th Jun 2009, 03:13
i am a current student. as stated by Raven, the school is temporarily closed while the search goes on for a new CFI/CP, i believe they have a possible CP who is however not an instructor so should it be required charter and private hire can continue as planned. the school has NOT however, permanently closed.

Hachie
30th Jun 2009, 03:16
Hey does anyone remember that plane that crashed into the house at darra in like 2006. people wrote stuff about it that is wrong geez no one gets anything right these days. you can find it if you search Darra Plane Crash in the search tab at the top of the page

AussieNick
30th Jun 2009, 04:17
Hey does anyone remember that plane that crashed into the house at darra in like 2006. people wrote stuff about it that is wrong geez no one gets anything right these days. you can find it if you search Darra Plane Crash in the search tab at the top of the page

...okay then....

longrass
30th Jun 2009, 05:50
i am a current student. as stated by Raven, the school is temporarily closed while the search goes on for a new CFI/CP, i believe they have a possible CP who is however not an instructor so should it be required charter and private hire can continue as planned. the school has NOT however, permanently closed.

Charter, what charter? Do they know what it means, oh thats right, a C340 at $1660 an hour plus GST, gotta be dreaming...

And Private Hire, What Private Hire, a 172N @ $260 an hour, plus landing compared to a glass cockpit "NEW" cessna at YRED for $200. Gotta be dreamin

tipped off
30th Jun 2009, 06:12
The obvious question why isnt PB chief pilot has the quals ?

longrass
30th Jun 2009, 08:48
Or you could just pay as you go, best way of doing it, if they dont want to discount then dont fly, we are in a recession, any one turning business away is crazy, get your PPL and go private hire of someone on the strip, ive managed to find heaps of cheap aircraft for cash, (cheaper still than paying GST free hours) and do a deal for beer with their insurance broker.... Peter Bougen again at his best, ripping people off, whats next, Comeflyyourmoneyouthewindow Aircraft Hire T/A Ripmeoffcauseimastupidprickpilotandipayinadvance

Unregistered User
30th Jun 2009, 09:20
Anyone for some popcorn?:eek:

Av8er_PA38
30th Jun 2009, 11:37
Hmmmmm I wonder who Shannon.Ward is lol, PB is attempting to become CFI of the school whilst taking unpaid leave from QANTAS and the other school he is currently CFI of.

Personally we shall see the future looks a bit bleak but you never know it could all pick up.

smoka21
3rd Jul 2009, 12:16
Its always been a dump. HM, no doubt is roasting as we speak.

Unregistered User
3rd Jul 2009, 12:49
Smoka,

You speak ill, of the deceased.

VH-FTS
5th Jul 2009, 05:41
I'll believe FTA are dead when the planes are sold off and someone else is using their buildings. PB seems to always have some trick up his sleeve.

I'm of the believe things have not been good for a while, and the recent big advertising push is once last shot to attract students are bring in the dollars. PB's cash for comments in the recent Australian Flying is worth a laugh.

Captain Peter Boughen...who is managing director of Flight Training Australia in Brisbane, says now is a very good tome, not a bad time, to be starting training to become an airline pilot.

He admits that this sounds like the sort of thing that flying training organisation would be expected to say, but backs up his views with his experience of international airline consultancy.

"If you start training today it will probably be a minimum of about two years before you reach a stage where the airlines are interested in employing you - and by that time things should have started moving again."

Yes Peter, that sounds exactly like the sort of thing a flying training organisation would say. I hope the two year thing is not the sort of spin you are using to bring $$$ through the door.

From the above posts, comments from other pilots and my own observations, things don't look very good at all. Gordon, like him or not, is out of the picture as CFI because of illness. ML is off to CASA, DStJ went and set up his own school (taking a bunch of pilots with him). DStJ leaving and a lack of CFI for AV8 was the reason behind the merger of the two schools. Word on the street is the CFI they want to use from YBCG is only a short term option. CASA won't approve PB as CFI while he is working as an airline pilot.

So the senior pilots have walked, and a number of other instructors have left as well. Oh, but new junior pilots will be attracted to an instructor rating at FTA hypnotised by PB's promises of jets and Cirrus aircraft down the track.

I laugh when their press releases say they are QLD's biggest flying school. A recent visit to YBAF showed a number of dirty, maroon aircraft not moving with long grass under the wings. The refuellers claim they only go through about half the fuel of other schools. Either FTA's pilots are very good at leaning or they are simply not flying.

megle2
5th Jul 2009, 08:11
And
where has DStJ set up
what has he called himself
what do they have???

MakeItHappenCaptain
5th Jul 2009, 08:25
Flight One down near Solitair Choppers I think.
They're using Boomerangs, a Bonza and Barons plus a few.

PB is attempting to become CFI of the school whilst taking unpaid leave from QANTAS and the other school he is currently CFI of

This is in no way an endorsement or defence of PB; the school he is CFI of (2 Wing Air Force Cadets) is a commendable cause and thanks should go to all of the volunteer staff who donate their time and effort towards helping these kids get a start in aviation.:ok:
(yeah... I know the military guys are paid but the civvy dudes (and occasional dudettes) aren't.)

VH-FTS
6th Jul 2009, 10:30
So were the maroon tails flying today?

MakeItHappenCaptain
6th Jul 2009, 12:53
Did see the two 72RG's at Wide Bay to "fly the flag" so to speak. No training legally until a new CFI is found. Rumour is TP from YBCG will be stepping in.

VH-FTS
6th Jul 2009, 22:20
Isn't Tony only interested in a short-term deal?

manymak
8th Jul 2009, 13:28
Does anyone have contact details for Flight One? And is this where DStJ is CFI atm?

PlankBlender
8th Jul 2009, 13:40
07 3123 7300 (7310 if you're into faxing..) or [email protected]

website down atm, I think they're about to release their new site..

CirrusSR22T
10th Jul 2009, 01:23
Maroon tails are back in the air today at YBAF. AOC must have been reinstated.

MakeItHappenCaptain
10th Jul 2009, 05:18
Unless they are PPLs and CPLs exercising privileges as per a couple of 172RG's at the Bundy Airshow.

Ando1Bar
10th Jul 2009, 23:29
They didn't really seem fully operational. No what you'd expect of 'QLD's largest flying school'.

vigi-one
16th Jul 2009, 21:54
Can someone please tell me the link between FTA and Flight Ideas. Is FTA to become Flight Ideas under a new AOC with PB as CFI? I also understand they are looking to relocate to Warwick and set up a new college would these be new jobs or offered to FTA current instructors.

FourBalls
17th Jul 2009, 00:11
they are looking to relocate to Warwick

Warwick? Really? What a great idea! I mean - so accessible, so central - watch you don't get trampled during the stampede of students to Warwick.:}
They may need a few more lanes on the Cunninhgam.

justacoffeethanks
21st Jul 2009, 10:12
Couldn't agree more with Torque Limit

I experienced the same. Good luck to the 3% of the genuine crew who put in 97% of the work required!:} Boredom and arrogance never flows uphill!!:ugh:

MakeItHappenCaptain
23rd Jul 2009, 11:05
Can someone please tell me the link between FTA and Flight Ideas. Is FTA to become Flight Ideas under a new AOC with PB as CFI? I also understand they are looking to relocate to Warwick and set up a new college would these be new jobs or offered to FTA current instructors.

Flight Ideas is the parent company that initially bought Arena, turning it into AV8 Brisbane. FTA was then purchased. AV8 was closed after losing too many staff (anyone know why??) and Warwick has been on the cards since day dot.:rolleyes:

Boredom and arrogance never flows uphill!!

True, but when it flows down from above guess what happens........:cool:

Does anyone have contact details for Flight One? And is this where DStJ is CFI atm?

DStJ is at Flight One operating under Qld (And NT??) Aviation Services' AOC (:}), same as AV8 Aviation (Formerly AV8 Darwin, now not associated with AV8 Bris or Flight Ideas - Name partially retained for customer recognition in DN). CFI is Greg McGovern.

Flight One
2/224 Qantas Drive
Archerfield Q 4108
P: (07) 3123 7300
F: (07) 3123 7310

dude65
24th Jul 2009, 01:02
So Captain would that be the same QAS who offer flight training out of Caloundra?

MakeItHappenCaptain
25th Jul 2009, 10:23
Affirm.....

seavenom
22nd Aug 2011, 01:26
You can't keep a good man down! :mad: The planes are back and Spirro is on the prowl.