PDA

View Full Version : Converting Flight Instructor Rating to FAA

ZK-K007
27th Jun 2009, 02:08
Hi there,

I have read abit of information on this site about converting a ICAO licence to an FAA.

I have a New Zealand and Australian CPL with a Grade 2 Instructor rating and about 770hrs of instructional experience, with a total time of about 1100hrs.

What are the requirements for converting the instructor rating over?

I do hope to have completed my Australian ATPL exams before a possible move to the states, but would look initally at instrucing in Texas or Louisiana.

Any help would be appreciated as well as any hints for the prospects of jobs :ok:

Speedbird48
27th Jun 2009, 02:54
ZK-K007
There is no conversion available for you. The only conversions, and not for Flight Instructor, is Canadian to US and the other way around.

You will be credited with your hours and training but will have to complete the writtens and the flight test. Prior to the flight test you are required to have completed, and get signed off, for 3hours of pre test training.

Speedbird 48.

glex01
10th Nov 2009, 21:40
Hi,
My son is just fininishing his Instructor rating in Canada. I understand that you cannot convert the Canadian Instructor rating. How about the rest of the licenses. He has a "frozen" ATPL as well as his multi IFR.

Where would I find some more info?
Thanks
glex01

MarkerInbound
12th Nov 2009, 03:21
He'll have to get a FAA medical and there is a short knowledge test.

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/0/84a724ff35f1089086257245004b35a3/$FILE/AC_61-135.pdf

There's no such thing as a "frozen ATP" in the US, just people who have taken the written but not the checkride. You see "ATP written passed" on some resumes

ZK-K007
9th Dec 2009, 05:14
Hi guys, thanks for your reply.

Been looking at the FAA website and I must be looking in the wrong places because I can't find anywhere to tell me of the requirments.

Just so I'm not confused, I would require atleast 3 hours of training, and then could I sit the flight test? Would 3 hours of training be required for a CPL, and then another 3 hours for a Instructor Rating? And would I need to sit ALL the CPL written exams, or just Air Law?

Also I have been talking to some people and they say that a FAA PPL does not require any flight test or written. Is this still the case, or was this an old regulation?

I am comming to America for 3 weeks leaving on Monday. What would be the best way to talk to someone directly about converting? A flight school? Or a FAA office?

Cheers guys,

MarkerInbound
9th Dec 2009, 16:28
There is only one written for the Commercial, covers regulations, performance, weather, etc. And there are two for the CFI. To get a CFI, you must hold a Commercial and instrument rating in the category and class aircraft that you are applying for the CFI in. To get a Comm., you need 20 hours instruction, to get the IR, 15. You MIGHT be able to get those hours to overlap because the Comm. requires instrument instruction. I don't see a hour requirement for the CFI, just the spin endorsement. That being said, there are 7 aeras of operation that have to be signed off for the trainee and I can't see how they could be covered in under 10-12 hours.

FAR 61.41 allows the use of hours trained by a non-FAA CFI to count towards a FAA certificate, should just be a matter of making sure all the
aeras of operation are covered.

The requirements can be found here -

Electronic Code of Federal Regulations: (http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=af7edf5c3315e2bc9d823ae88559983d&tpl=/ecfrbrowse/Title14/14cfr61_main_02.tpl)

You should talk to the FAA, probably the airman certification branch in Oklahoma City.