PDA

View Full Version : Any royal navy helicopter pilots on here?

cbennett
26th Jun 2009, 18:41
Iv completed a search "for life in the navy as i pilot" and got nothing of interest, so i thought id create a post as it would be interesting to know the ins and outs, and pros and cons of life in the navy as a helicopter pilot.

I would be very grateful for feedback, on any of the following pointers from any naval pilots currently reading this post.

-General life in the navy
-Being Away from family and loved ones (Periods of time, how often you get to see them... ETC)
-The reality of the everyday risk of flying sorties on the front line
-The types of deployment (are you always flying interesting and exciting missions, deployments to Afganhistan and the middle east ETC)
-Pay
- Any other information that would be valuable or useful
-Options after the navy?

Many thanks in advanced

Chris

Flap62
26th Jun 2009, 19:05
Chris,

Sorry to be the first of many but you will find that the people who have achieved the position that you enquire about will have worked incredibly hard to get where they are. They will therefore find your post with its poor grammar and spelling a lazy attempt. You may justify it as "modern youth culture" but if you cannot be bothered to put any effort into your post then why should busy individuals take time to answer it?

BTW, before I am flamed by the typing police I have to admit that I am very, very drunk indeed! (poisonous monkeys et al)

hello1
26th Jun 2009, 19:07
Sorry mate, the Royal helicopter pilots decided to join the RAF and the Army - Andrew left the Navy some time ago so there are no Royal navy helicopter pilots.:)

timex
26th Jun 2009, 19:57
Took about 30 seconds to find this..

Fleet Air Arm : Operations and Support : Royal Navy (http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/operations-and-support/fleet-air-arm/)

cbennett
27th Jun 2009, 00:19
Thanks for the input. I have seen the RN website, but i was after more personal opinions from people who have experience in the field. Its a big commitment to make joining the armed forces, especially when you've got other commitments at home. Sorry Flap62, i wasn't aware of the spelling and grammar test. I guess I'll work on it for the next post. :)

Boatman
27th Jun 2009, 05:15
In answer to the original thread, yes. RN pilots are hilarious types.

Boatman
27th Jun 2009, 05:18
PS. should you succeed you will hereby be known as Wiggy

Flap62
27th Jun 2009, 07:13
Cbennet,

It's not a spelling and grammar test - it's simply something called standards.

BackfromIraq
27th Jun 2009, 08:34
I've got one staying with me at the moment. He's an awesome bloke, a mate I've known for 33 years, likes to do anything and everything and bitches like noting on earth. We've been through some real s41t together and come out smiling.

He tried to join the RAF, they wouldn't have him and he walked into the FAA. After much hard work over many years he eventually qualified as a pilot and spends a lot of time away doing dangerous stuff in old, underinvested aircraft, and he loves it.

cbennett
27th Jun 2009, 09:54
I know, iv been called Wiggy before by an old navy instructor in my current job. He didn't give me an explanation of why Bennett's are known as 'Wiggy Bennett' so i just accepted it :). Are the aircraft really that old?
Hopefully that will change a small amount soon due to the investment in the Lynx AW159 Lynx Wildcat.

Charlie Time
27th Jun 2009, 11:52
AW159 Lynx Wildcat

Aerouk
27th Jun 2009, 14:27
You may get more information from your local Area Careers Liaison Officer. I've been contacting my local officer and he's been more than helpful.

If there are any RN pilots hanging around on the forum, it would be good to get some details from you.

Tankertrashnav
27th Jun 2009, 22:40
Any royal navy helicopter pilots on here?

Doubt it, they're all in the sky over my house disturbing the peace. Still, I did buy a house 3 miles from Culdrose.....

(Actually my neighbour's an SAR Sea King observer and he's an ace bloke:ok:)

onthebumline
28th Jun 2009, 03:22
Yes. I am one of them.

I am here.

And as you may have guessed by the time on this post, I am completely wasted.

But it is worth noting that my spelling and grammar are impeccable despite my advanced state of refreshment.

That is the kind of stuff RN Pilots are made of.

PS Sorry if this post is too late to get you something decent for News of the World. Hopefully you will get something for The Sport out of it.

Mick Strigg
28th Jun 2009, 07:23
All the replies above seem to be flaming you for daring to ask such a question, whereas my answer to you is simple:

If you are thinking about joining the FAA, don't hesitate, sign up today; you won't ever regret it!

All walks of life have their problems, but don't dwell on them. Realise that you will be joining the best, most professional, personable and sociable band of brothers and sisters, flying in the most demanding and satisfying conditions found anywhere in the world.

Join up and enjoy!

(Spelling and punctuation Police; marks out of ten?)

Tankertrashnav
28th Jun 2009, 08:45
marks out of ten?)

Nine. One mark deducted for pretentious semi-colon in para two. ;)

Widger
28th Jun 2009, 10:05
Wiggy,

to try and be at least a little helpful...

You are a Naval Officer first and pilot second. All three services have their own benefits. For the FAA, you may find yourself in Lynx conducting missile attacks on patrol vessels or launching torpedoes at submarines. You could find yourself in the depths of the Arctic, operating in white out conditions or brown out in Afghanistan looking after the needs of the Royal Marines, you could find yourself flying around in circles for hours on end whilst your observer in the rear supports ground forces in the mighty Sea King Mk7, you could find yourself flying a team into a caribbean island to provide disaster relief or tracking drug runners off Belize. You could find yourself chatting to some incredibly beautiful woman during a cocktail party in some far flung part of the world, whilst trying to think how your are going to break it to her that your real name is not Hugh Jarse or Mike Oxbig. You could find yourself trapped in Hellstown for ever and get married to some Cornish witch who just wants a meal ticket, or you could live in the delight that is Somerset, flying over the Glastonbury festival.

Your life will never be boring or mundane, you will be part of a very close and proud organisation and see parts of the world that many in the Army or RAF sadly never get to see anymore.

Do it!

Mike Oxbig
28th Jun 2009, 20:46
Hi Wiggy,

I agree with Widger's posting - although he is a little jaundiced in his opinions - Cornwall is fantastic!

Best thing I did was join - although the next best thing I did was leave (after 17 years)! Been to some interesting places, did some interesting flying, met & worked with some very interesting people!

Do it!:ok:

Widger
28th Jun 2009, 21:17
Things you never hear in Hellstown:

We were just passing and we thought we would pop-in!
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Tankertrashnav
29th Jun 2009, 14:55
Widger

current location: Culdrose tower bears 260 degrees magnetic, range 3nms, height 450 ASL

weather nil, vis 9999, CAVOK, 25C

Just sitting here in the garden on the laptop 3 miles from Hellstown, can see aforementioned tower in the distance with Mounts Bay sparkling behind. The witch has just gone inside to replenish the G & Ts, fully expect someone who is just passing to drop in at anytime. In other words - happy as a pig in the proverbial and wouldnt be anywhere else.

Get back to your zyder and the truly living hell that is Glastonbury ;)

airborne_artist
29th Jun 2009, 15:47
Helston - the back bar of the Beehive was our second home.

We went there to drown our sorrows after going to the Truro Hospital nurses' monthly disco/horror bash for the second or third time and realising that they hadn't got any prettier. Rod H*nn** nearly needed sutures after his success at grab-a-gronk gouged four 10" scars on each side of his spine as he made the beast with two backs.

Zummerzet has three and a half advantages over the land the wong side of the Tamar - it's three and a half hours closer to London :ok:

Tankertrashnav
29th Jun 2009, 16:16
AA - I'll have you know aforementioned witch was a nurse at Treliske (Truro) - consider your face in receipt of a cyber slap from a glove, aircrew, chamois leather. What do you choose - swords or pistols? ;)

switch_on_lofty
29th Jun 2009, 17:30
Well done cben for sticking with this post after the flame-grilling you got earlier. I must admit that I had the same reaction as most early posters when I first read your post, due to apparent laziness and lack of research. All is forgiven however, and remember (everyone) that persistence and determination go a long way in flying training, aswell as the RN in general.

Some more info about what stage of life you're at would be useful, so I don't tell you stuff you already know.

What you essentially seem to want is some lifestyle information. I am currently nearing the end of pilot training, and so can provide a bit of an insight into the first 4 years of your career (which may only be 12 years after all).
Be prepared to:
-Be in training for a long time, sometimes just holding for your next course to start.
-Move around the country for every major course, and many small 1/2 week ones.
-Get the best training from some very experienced instructors, and good new ones.
-Work with people who are also highly motivated and good at what they do.
-Work fairly irregular hours, even on training squadrons. E.g. late nights and some weekends, sometimes going home early.
-Work hard to cram lots into your brain. This doesn't seem to stop at any stage of aviation!

As to loved ones, it is somewhat easier if you're married because the mil pays for you to move between quarters, but remember that your other half might not like moving around for a 9 month course! It's even easier if you're single! Get a good car, most courses people weekend to girl/boy friends/parents etc.

Looking ahead to ops, it depends a lot on what a/c you get streamed to. Just look at the different roles, and where they operate and deploy (see RN website). Read between the lines as to what that means for you as a pilot.
Speaking to guys that have just returned from 1st tours in Afghan, they loved it and it was all they hoped it would be. Conversely, Lynx or Merlin people love their jobs too and tend to stay where they are, so it can't be too bad there either!

Pay - See RN website, it depends on whether you are grad or not these days.
Options after - use grant money (from RN) towards getting Civvy recognition for you mil flying quals and experience.
Right, I've ditted on enough there, hope this helps. If you're still interested, get onto an AFCO and ask about a POC course, and I might see you in the bar.

Strobin Purple
29th Jun 2009, 18:14
Widger

Glasto's NOTAMed. I checked.

Strobin Purple
29th Jun 2009, 18:18
soz, just RTFQd. You didn't say 'flying over Glastonbury below 2500' agl. It's all in the detail!

cbennett
29th Jun 2009, 21:59
Thank you very much for all of your time and effort put in to the reply's. I apologise for the rather vague original post. Switch on lofty, i am in the early stages of an apprenticeship in Electrical Engineering (Aircraft) in which i have put my all in to so far, and have achieved very pleasing results in all areas. I have researched and spoken to careers advisors, who inform me my qualifications gained from the apprenticeship will be enough to apply as a pilot; However this way the chances are i will be disadvantaged academically compared to other applicants (for example: University graduates). To overcome this i am going to study part-time to gain Maths A levels, as well as start gliding to gain flight experience.

After the completion of the apprenticeship i will have a Nation certificate in Electrical Engineering (at highest level the way things are going), a HNC in Electrical Engineering, A level Maths and experience in gliding and possibly powered flight. This is if all goes to plan obviously, which i am sure it will as i am extremely determined to reach my goal. Even after this i know i will still be an underdog with regards to selection process, and i would be very appreciative of any extra guidance that anybody may have.

My main concern, and the main reason i started this post regards the commitment that the armed services carries with it, especially when you add girlfriends and family into the equation. Its a dangerous world out there, especially with the risk of being blown out of the air.

Apologies to any of you reading who have annoyed due to the start of this post. I know i am just another wannabe pilot who with a dream, but i am sure many of you have shared the same dream at some point.

cbennett
29th Jun 2009, 22:08
Also, does anybody know why Bennett's are called "Wiggy" in the Navy ?
I know its been passed down through Navy generations. I just wondered how/why the nickname originated.

Aerouk
29th Jun 2009, 23:33
Found this:

Naval Surnames (Adams - Cooper) : Navy Slang : RN Life : Training and People : Royal Navy (http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/training-and-people/rn-life/navy-slang/naval-surnames-adams-cooper/)

Davies - Francis : Naval Surnames (Adams - Cooper) : Navy Slang : RN Life : Training and People : Royal Navy (http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/training-and-people/rn-life/navy-slang/naval-surnames-adams-cooper/davies-francis/)

Gale - I : Naval Surnames (Adams - Cooper) : Navy Slang : RN Life : Training and People : Royal Navy (http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/training-and-people/rn-life/navy-slang/naval-surnames-adams-cooper/gale-i/)

Gale - I : Naval Surnames (Adams - Cooper) : Navy Slang : RN Life : Training and People : Royal Navy (http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/training-and-people/rn-life/navy-slang/naval-surnames-adams-cooper/gale-i/)

Marsh - Oakley : Naval Surnames (Adams - Cooper) : Navy Slang : RN Life : Training and People : Royal Navy (http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/training-and-people/rn-life/navy-slang/naval-surnames-adams-cooper/marsh-oakley/)

Palmer - Ryan : Naval Surnames (Adams - Cooper) : Navy Slang : RN Life : Training and People : Royal Navy (http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/training-and-people/rn-life/navy-slang/naval-surnames-adams-cooper/palmer-ryan/)

Saunders - U : Naval Surnames (Adams - Cooper) : Navy Slang : RN Life : Training and People : Royal Navy (http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/training-and-people/rn-life/navy-slang/naval-surnames-adams-cooper/saunders-u/)

Vaughan - Young : Naval Surnames (Adams - Cooper) : Navy Slang : RN Life : Training and People : Royal Navy (http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/training-and-people/rn-life/navy-slang/naval-surnames-adams-cooper/vaughan-young/)

Mick Strigg
30th Jun 2009, 08:18
AA, I don't think it was Rod that had the roadmap on his back, I remember it as Bong!

switch_on_lofty
30th Jun 2009, 22:42
"qualifications gained from the apprenticeship will be enough to apply as a pilot; However this way the chances are i will be disadvantaged academically compared to other applicants (for example: University graduates)"
Did the careers guys tell you that? The main thing that they seem to look for is that you have good aptitude scores, are keen and can pass AIB i.e. you shouldn't be at any disadvantage at all just because you don't have a degree. N.B look into "degree in maritime aviation" or some such, non-grads get one essentially on wings anyway.
"study part-time to gain Maths A levels"
Good idea, if you can achieve a maths A-level you should find most of the Officer and Aircrew academic and theory OK.

With regard to flying etc, it is great and will give you more of an idea of whether you really like it. I don't believe however that previous experience of flying helps you to get in, or perform better after eft.
If you don't already, try to get into something that gives you some experience of team work and leadership outside of your studies. Doesn't have to be anything extravagant (heard someone who works at AIB say that if they hear of anyone else who's climbed F'in Kilimanjaro on a gap year they'll scream!).
Regarding risk, you need to be able to take a risk and pull it off! Preferably with a back-up plan or two in case you don't pull it off. I think that risk awareness and judgement are things that people in general either have, or do not have.
Regards

TheWizard
30th Jun 2009, 23:21
Iv completed a search "for life in the navy as a pilot" and got nothing of interest,

Sorry but that was too easy.

Blame the red wine!:ok:

Aerouk
30th Jun 2009, 23:42
I was looking at the pay scales recently and was talking to one of the career staff about the starting salary.

Can anyone confirm, will you get graduate pay regardless of your University course? The women I was speaking to seemed to think that it had to be a related course, however it doesn't come across like that from the booklet AND she never really knew what she was talking about when it came to anything FAA or Officer related.

I have a Business/Law degree would that mean I would get graduate pay?

airborne_artist
1st Jul 2009, 07:53
The women I was speaking to seemed to think that it had to be a related course, however it doesn't come across like that from the booklet AND she never really knew what she was talking about when it came to anything FAA or Officer related.

Was this one woman, or multiple women who you consulted? Were they in a Union St bar at the time? - they know more about the Navy than most actually serving. Perhaps she was standing on a street corner dressed in a Wren's uniform - in which case she won't know about pay, but she'll know what you will enjoy, and more to the point, what you can afford. She will certainly earn more than most officers.

professor moriarty
2nd Jul 2009, 08:40
Couldn't put it any better myself. I had 14 years and loved it. Yes I did PVR though....

Cross Deck Landing
2nd Jul 2009, 20:59
Cbennett,

Widger has hit the nail on the head with his post. Flying in each of the three services is a challenging but incredible experience and each one has a slightly different approach to it so it is worth finding out about all of them. I have loved my time with the FAA so far and would recommend it to anyone and I wouldn't change it for the world. The many and varied places that you will visit and the number of wierd and wonderful situations you will find yourself in the middle of will astound you. When deployed you are usually the only aviation asset in the area and many times the only aviator there full stop, you need to know your trade inside out and remain flexible. Having not travelled much before I joined the Navy I have been incredibly lucky to go on to visit somewhere in the region of 26 countries in the first two years I was front line and built my flying experience very quickly purely by being thrown in at the deep end with the robust support of the squadron back in the UK.

Good luck with what lies ahead!

Oggin Aviator
3rd Jul 2009, 00:49
I have a Business/Law degree would that mean I would get graduate pay?Yes. A degree is a degree, even if it is in something completely useless to military aviation.

flown-it
3rd Jul 2009, 02:49
From whence cometh Wiggy? In the mid 60s at RNAS Brawdy.....yes the Pusser owned Brawdy once......a young pilot turning finals hit the slip stream of the Hunter ahead and had a major upset. Frightened him f#rtless. Over the next few months every hair on his body dropped out.
Thereafter he wore an outrageous wig. To see Wiggy Bennett climb out of his Vixen or F4, doff bonedome and don blond wig was a thing of beauty.
Happy retirement Wiggy

Schiller
3rd Jul 2009, 11:06
I remember "Wiggy" Bennett well, but his hair-raising event was not the origin of the name. It's very much older than that.