PDA

View Full Version : overpowered 757

brs planespotter
26th Jun 2009, 17:04
i read in the forum the other day somewhere saying that the b757 could easily operate out of one of the greek islands which only has a 5500 ft with no penaltys,could someone explain how (before the runway at funchal was extended from 6500 ft)the 75 couldnt go in and the a320 was the biggest allowed in please?or have i been mislead?regds brs planespotter:O

MUFC_fan
26th Jun 2009, 19:29
It has ridiculously HUGE engines for it's size and uses them to it's full advantage on short and/or hot fields.

Superb piece of engineering...

Mr @ Spotty M
26th Jun 2009, 20:27
The B757 did fly into Funchal if my memory is correct before the runway extension, Air Europe damaged one landing there.

boredcounter
26th Jun 2009, 20:56
I would doubt very much 'no penalties' off a 1700m runway, however as MUFC points out, a very over powered aircraft. At max power take off, these girls go up like the opposite of a runaway lift!

I would expect an MTOW limit from 1700m of runway in Greek summer temps, if I were to run take off performance assuming no obstacle limit.

Bored.

RVF750
27th Jun 2009, 19:57
The correct description of a 757 on a max power take-off is a "Homesick Angel".

I am told they have to do full power take offs for some situations of technical degradation. So on a positioner empty to a maintenance facility, they are meant to be quite fun to fly.......

groundhogbhx
27th Jun 2009, 20:04
The FNC restrictions were based on not being able to turn round on the runway, not take off/landing performance. From memory the AE 757 nearly broke a main leg turning with too low a forward speed (happy to be corrected though).

brakedwell
28th Jun 2009, 11:53
The B757 did fly into Funchal if my memory is correct before the runway extension, Air Europe damaged one landing there.

I first landed an AE757 at FNC on 27th November 1985. Thanks to the performance we always flew direct to LGW or MAN, whereas the 737's had to refuel at Porto Santo on the way home.

The FNC restrictions were based on not being able to turn round on the runway, not take off/landing performance. From memory the AE 757 nearly broke a main leg turning with too low a forward speed (happy to be corrected though).

Sorry groundhogbhx, you are wrong. It was possible to turn on the runway and the AE 757 was damaged after bouncing and hitting the ground nosewheel first.

Doors to Automatic
28th Jun 2009, 15:59
I was fortunate enough to experience a jump seat ride in a 757 out of Aberdeen many years ago.

On the taxy out the captain told me that we would be going ful power - it was a breathtaking take-off. We were in the air after a ground run of less than 600m (less than 1/3 of ABZ's short runway!) and then climbed up at 6000ft per minute.

We got up to FL410 for the short flight to Heathrow!

It is an amazing piece of kit.

MUFC_fan
28th Jun 2009, 16:49
It would be like putting a Ferrari engine in a Nissan Micra. Just Youtube the aircraft and see it fly - the performance is fantastic.

L1649
28th Jun 2009, 17:43
Yep, check out this clip of a NZAF 757 fly-by and climb. :ok:

YouTube - 757 fly-by then goes vertical! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYillSM0yLk)

L1649

Seloco
29th Jun 2009, 08:10
Paxing in a 757 for a max-energy take-off from "John Wayne International" (aka Orange County airport) remains one of my most abiding commercial aviation memories; the excitement was compounded by everything being turned off again above the airport boundary for noise abatement reasons......