PDA

View Full Version : Michael Jackson Dead - What Helo?

tyne
26th Jun 2009, 11:04
Seeing the news and Jacko's body being moved to a helo - I was wondering what it is.

Looks like some sort of Sea King in a superb gold/green livery. The name "rescue" on the side and some sort of police style badge on it.

Anyone got any info on this aircraft.

potkettleblack
26th Jun 2009, 12:07
This the one?

File:LACS N950DF Sea King.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:LACS_N950DF_Sea_King.jpg)

tyne
26th Jun 2009, 12:10
Thats the one....Gorgious livery helo.

I take it she's fitted for SAR/VIP transport.

tyne
26th Jun 2009, 12:36
Found out a bit more. Ex USN S61 in case anyone is interested.

Cheers for the link mate.

Rainboe
26th Jun 2009, 14:10
Can anyone say what the rabbit-hutch arrangement is on the engine intakes? Is it a filter/sea spray device/de-icing arrangement, and why other helos don't need it.

NRU74
26th Jun 2009, 14:52
....and hasn't the nose been altered and some of the skin lightened ??

Rainboe
26th Jun 2009, 19:20
I don't think the nose has been 'altered'. This is the original Sikorsky which Westland and Agusta (I think) paid a commission and successfully developed into the 'Sea King' we know and love so well, adding an extra engine and making other modifications to make it more suitable for shipborne operation. We are the ones who 'altered' it!

Tolsti
26th Jun 2009, 19:59
NRU74.... thanks for the chuckle..... ''and some fell on stoney ground''

MAN777
27th Jun 2009, 07:09
I think these are still based at Long Beach Airport. Was lucky enough to be shown the operation a few years ago.

The Sheriff department operate all sorts of older Helo types and have a very interesting varied role.

I am surprised however they used the aircraft to transport a deceased person (Mr Jackson or not) when a normal ambulance would have sufficed.

RIP

aviate1138
27th Jun 2009, 07:22
Could it have had something to do with the hundreds of screaming/crying/mourning fans that would have blocked the streets and possibly caused a few more deaths?

MAN777
27th Jun 2009, 07:27
Yes, I will have that !

Senior Pilot
27th Jun 2009, 07:53
Can anyone say what the rabbit-hutch arrangement is on the engine intakes? Is it a filter/sea spray device/de-icing arrangement, and why other helos don't need it.

That's a particle separator, used to protect the compressor from dust/sand/etc. Common on many helicopter types, not at all unique to the Sea King. RN/RAF SK's have a similar unit.

adding an extra engine and making other modifications to make it more suitable for shipborne operation. We are the ones who 'altered' it!

Errr... no! The Sea King/SH3 has always been a twin, from the original Sikorsky build back in 1957. Westland modified the SH3 (under licence) to install RR Gnome engines with computer engine control (back in the late 1960's!), a fully coupled AFCS and UK radar and sonar. The S62 was a Sikorsky variant on the S61, with only one engine.

pabloc
27th Jun 2009, 21:23
Nice one NRU74,,,that sailed straight over the rainboe!!!!:D

BOAC
28th Jun 2009, 10:39
Cue for a song.............?

Rainboe
28th Jun 2009, 16:00
There's obviously some rather sad and unfunny point scoring going on here by equally sad individuals which I don't have time to try and understand. Enjoy yourselves boys, I'm outta here!

NRU74
28th Jun 2009, 20:02
Rainboe
I'd had a few glasses of Crozes Hermitage when I made my flippant/facetious post.
You 'bit' and one or two others found it amusing.
No discourtesy whatsoever intended to you [by me] .
Your ID says 'toxic' - maybe, but I suspect you are a pussy cat really.
Regards.

BOAC
29th Jun 2009, 13:53
I'd had a few glasses of Crozes Hermitage when I made my flippant/facetious post. - keep taking the medicine. Nice, isn't it? I think it has a particularly good nose.

johnriketes
29th Jun 2009, 14:12
I believe that jackson was in a horrible state before he died. he also was reported to have only weighed 50.8 kgs.

Now if you were caught by the RSPCA with an animal in your care in that condition, you would quite rightly be charged with neglect, then hopefully jailed.

I was not and never will be a fan of MJ but I think it is a disgrace, that he was pushed to even do one concert, let a lone 50. If reports of his condition at his death are true. I believe he was not in a fit state physically or mentally to do this and the people "looking after" him must have known this.

What has the human race been reduced to? He had "Doctors" and "Helpers" who were supposed to be looking after his interests and health, when in all honesty they were probably milking the guy for all his worth. The plastic "surgeons" (butchers) should have been shot for allowing themselves to do this to him.

May they pay dearly for this.

potkettleblack
29th Jun 2009, 14:17
It was a nice coloured helicopter though wasn't it:)