PDA

View Full Version : London first class which airline?

theboy85
26th Jun 2009, 01:45
im going to be 20 when i take the trip. The only reason im leaning more towards british right now is because united wont let me drink alcohol. Lol..Which airline has a better first class from the U.S to London and oh yea its going to be a window seat:ok:. If you all can give me an idea of which first class is better united or british i would appreciate it;)

763 jock
26th Jun 2009, 02:40
If you're a beer drinker, buy a "coach" ticket and spend all the money you save on proper warm ale. :cool:

parabellum
26th Jun 2009, 13:01
For a youngster like yourself I would have thought that Virgin Atlantic Upper Class would have filled the bill admirably! Said to be a lot of fun.

Failing that BA First Class.

Unfortunately, these days, United don't even rate.

FairlieFlyer
26th Jun 2009, 13:23
In the words of Father Ted 'Biscuit or Cake, hmmm'....

Virgin all the way, at least you'll be older than most of the cabin crew

radeng
26th Jun 2009, 14:31
BA First is FAR superior to AA First. With seating of one - two - one, window seats are easy to get.

theboy85
26th Jun 2009, 22:59
British or Virgin?

PAXboy
27th Jun 2009, 10:35
It has to be VS. You will fit in with the crowd more easily. There is no doubt that the BA experience is fabulous but the VS is probably better suited to a younger person.

Sounds like a treat of a trip and I wish I had been able to travel F when I was your age. That said, it will spoil you for life and you will always want to get back to that cabin!

Senior Pilot
27th Jun 2009, 11:00
I've used Virgin UC for a few years now, and it is excellent value for the money :ok:

I had a trip BA just recently, and found their First Class to be quite average: the cabin was quite "tired" and was certainly no better than Virgin. The service on both is excellent, but overall the Virgin experience is my recommendation :cool:

radeng
27th Jun 2009, 12:59
My choice would be BA.

PAXBoy is right - you will never want to fly economy again. Even less most low cost airlines

gdiphil
29th Jun 2009, 16:56
Got to be VS. I have reached an advanced age that I get occasionally asked to write references for the younger generation including on occasions those who wish to train as cabin crew. Without a doubt I strongly recommend VS from the eye candy point of view, not that I am implying VS are operating a discrimination policy but when I fly United some of the cc are old enough to be my mother. But, as has been indicated earlier, you will be severely disappointed in all future traveling by air if it is economy. As for the booze, ignore those who say it dehydrates you or tastes funny at altitude, it is just great in First. Enjoy!

strake
29th Jun 2009, 19:33
In service terms, I would suggest First is streets ahead of Virgin Upper Class but then they are completely different products...First is also considerably more expensive and exclusive.
If I had the choice, BA First every time.
The real decision comes when comparing Club with UC. For my money, 747 Upper Deck BA Club (seat 64K or 64A) beats VS Upper Class. On a 777, possibly VS has the edge if you consider the Clubhouse at T3..until you get bored with it.
All very subjective of course....

James 1077
29th Jun 2009, 21:32
I would go Virgin Upper Class every time.

The times that I've managed to wangle myself an upgrade the other pax were all youngish (under 40s and quite a few in their 20s), the cabin crew were all gorgeous, and a great time was had at the bar on board throughout the flight.

BA First may technically be better in terms of service and comfort (I don't know) but Upper Class has got to be more fun!

hotmetal
29th Jun 2009, 23:20
My vote is for BA.

The SSK
30th Jun 2009, 08:56
If you're going to make the most of the experience, fly daylight eastbound. Once you're asleep (assuming you're comfortable), it's hard to tell the difference.

raejones
30th Jun 2009, 09:11
BA in either 1A or 1K would get my money.

Fargoo
30th Jun 2009, 11:05
Depends on your destination - do Virgin fly to the destination you are going to?

Depends what you want from the flight, as mentioned above there is a huge difference in price and service between the two. Never flown Virgin but I have flown BA first and it was a great service but definately not occupied by the younger generation (which is a good thing sometimes).

rogerg
30th Jun 2009, 13:41
I have flown Virgin Premium Economy a few times, its great value for money. A comfy seat in the top deck of a 747.

clareprop
30th Jun 2009, 15:33
To answer the question originally asked and having experienced both, I think BA First is considerably better than the United offering.

Senior Pilot
2nd Jul 2009, 08:00
BA in either 1A or 1K would get my money

Those seats aren't as good as first appears: the closet is on the front bulkhead between them, and intrudes into the seat space when opened. And can be noisy when opened in the middle of the night!

5A or K are much more spacious than the other rows, due to the offset imposed to accommodate the seat behind the one that you're in. No seat behind Row 5, so more room :ok:

raejones
2nd Jul 2009, 08:40
Hi SeniorPilot ! - I guess you are referring to the Jumbo ? in which case I shall bow down to your superior knowledge on that as I was talking about the 777 which obviously has a slightly different config.

As an aside, does anybody else find they spend the 'takeoff' in F trying to stop pillows, blankets, slippers, pj's etc from flying off the footrest/storage area in front and disappearing all over the cabin !!!!

strake
2nd Jul 2009, 15:23
As an aside, does anybody else find they spend the 'takeoff' in F trying to stop pillows, blankets, slippers, pj's etc from flying off the footrest/storage area in front and disappearing all over the cabin !!!!

Yes. However, it dosen't seem to matter because soon after the crew are cleared, one of them comes and clucks comfortingly as they replace everything and offer drinkies to help you overcome the distress...

That's why VS UC (or for that matter any other western carrier) will never be as good as First. It's calm, understated service.

I fly VS most of the time but they don't do S. America so I have just taken the Club out First back "package" to Sao Paulo and was most impressed with both sectors on a 747.

raejones
2nd Jul 2009, 15:34
Yup, thats exactly what it is..."Calm and understated." - Freud springs to mind... "The more you know, the less you need to show"

That said...I've got enough points to take an UC flight with Virgin Airlines so I feel as if I should experience it....purely so I'm qualified to compare them of course :ok: gosh its a tough life !

Though again to be fair, I dont think VS Upper are trying to compete with BA First.

profot
2nd Jul 2009, 17:57
Rather than pillows and slippers I find parts of the seats come adrift on take off on Ba 744, very tired cabins in my experience. I'd go with 2A or K if i were on the 744 personally.

More recently i've enjoyed club upper deck to be more peaceful and as I don't bother with food or drink onboard am happy with the service there 62A or K gets my vote on that one.

VS more fun for sure but i prefer to be able to look out the window every now and then

theboy85
2nd Jul 2009, 18:43
Im not flying united due to all the bad reports ive heard. The virgin seats were just wayyyyy to close together for my taste. So it is going to be....drumroll:ok:...British airways 1 or 5 a or k for the win!:}

raejones
2nd Jul 2009, 22:46
I think you'll enjoy it !!! (in fact I think you'll be spoilt for life!) your only decision now is......BA Classic Fleet...err I mean the 747-400....or the Cripple sorry I mean Triple Seven ;)