PDA

View Full Version : Installing programme on a netbook

west lakes
25th Jun 2009, 13:52
Earlier this year I treated myself (well MWL actually) to an Asus Netbook (no periferals or other drives). I now have found the need to install a programme onto it.
As I am unlikely to want to do this often I don't particularly want to buy a stand alone CD Rom drive to do this!

Options that strike me as possible are: -

Load Programme to PC, link Pc to netbook via USB and copy programme across is this possible?
I have a router in use but have not set a network up as I have not needed one yet, PC is hard wired, Netbook is wireless (but could be hard wired)

Load programme to PC, copy to USB memory stick then to netbook (security on programme permitting)

As above but using a portable hard drive I have

The other option I will look at (at home) is to see if I can download directly from the device manufacturers site

Any advice appreciated

Jofm5
25th Jun 2009, 14:07
You can use something like ISO Recorder v 2 (http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm) to create an image of the cd on your PC - then copy that image to either your portable HD or USB Key and then use something like SlySoft Virtual CloneDrive (http://www.slysoft.com/en/virtual-clonedrive.html) installed on your netbook to mount the image and access it as a virtual cd/dvd drive.

The above will work if you have Windows on the netbook - if you have linux on your net book you will have to find an equivalent to virtual clone drive for your OS.

Cheers

west lakes
25th Jun 2009, 14:29
Problem solved, can download softwear from site!

Ta

bnt
25th Jun 2009, 21:37
If you have Linux, mounting an ISO is a doddle if you know a little command line stuff:
- create a target mount point if you have to or use an existing one e.g. /mnt/cdrom
- as root, run mount -o loop -t iso9660 <iso file> <mount point>
- open the mount point and access the files

I don't remember what package system that the Asus eee machines use as standard, since I threw Ubuntu on my eee PC 1000 not long after I got it a year ago, but the "netbook" idea is to do everything over the network, for everything short of a clean OS installation.